Apple to unveil .Mac 3.0 internet service

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

you need someone to invite you to join - each member gets 10 invitations.

10? Try 50

I have a bunch if anyone is interested.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

10? Try 50

I have a bunch if anyone is interested.

Has it gone up? I would be, can i PM you with my email?
  • Reply 23 of 78
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Has it gone up? I would be, can i PM you with my email?

Check your mail.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Check your mail.

cool, thank you very much
  • Reply 25 of 78
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spylaw4

How does one get a gmail account? All I can find is teasers but no link to sign up!

I have tons sitting around still too if anybody needs.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    bzbz Posts: 40member
    Well, that will save me $20 a year to start since I pay for two .Mac accounts now.

As for Gmail, while it is a nice big email account it does not offer:

- Syncing to your local desktop

- Syncing multiple computers

- Homepages

- Automatic backup (iDisk)

- Webdav (great for getting to things from work or anywhere)

- Syncing bookmarks

- Rebates and free things

And now, with Tiger and the new iSync developers are going to be able to sync a ton of things.

Imagine:

- Syncing Transmit, Adobe, iTerm, FireFox prefs, settings

- Syncing DVDPedia database.

Now that there is an API, .Mac and syncing will become even more interesting as it gets used by companies.

BZ
  • Reply 27 of 78
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    The Virex comment, if true, makes me wonder if Apple is going to strike a deal with someone else... or roll their own AV program.

Eventually one day viruses and spyware will hit the Mac. Just a matter of time (and of course degree).
  • Reply 28 of 78
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

The Virex comment, if true, makes me wonder if Apple is going to strike a deal with someone else... or roll their own AV program.

Eventually one day viruses and spyware will hit the Mac. Just a matter of time (and of course degree).

i honestly think this has a LOT to do with the huge f*ck-up when they released a virex update, and it had the unfortunate side-effect of deleting some people's entire mailbox when it came across a suspicious email, and then those .mac subscribers came complaining to apple, since it's one of thos selling points for the .mac service. apple was left to scramble and remove the update from the .mac download page, issue a warning not to use it, and then it took, well, it felt like a LONG time for virex to fix the problems. and seriously, virex 7.6 STILL isn't tiger compatible??? it's not like mcafee (sp?) didn't know it was coming. i really thought virex being bundled with .mac was a great thing, but now it's becoming a black eye on the service.

that leaves norton (which i still don't understand why a virus app need to apply kernel extensions) or intego's virus-barrier... i agree that it's not a huge deal now compared to windows, but it's only a matter of time...
  • Reply 29 of 78
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i honestly think this has a LOT to do with the huge f*ck-up when they released a virex update, and it had the unfortunate side-effect of deleting some people's entire mailbox when it came across a suspicious email, and then those .mac subscribers came complaining to apple, since it's one of thos selling points for the .mac service. apple was left to scarmble and remove the update from the .mac download page, issue a warning not to use it, and then it took, well, it felt like a LONG time for virex to fix the problems. and seriously, virex 7.6 STILL isn't tiger compatible??? it's not like macafee (sp?) didn't know it was coming. i really thought virex being bundled with .mac was a great thing, but now it's becoming a black eye on the service.

Agreed. McAfee screwed up.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i honestly think this has a LOT to do with the huge f*ck-up when they released a virex update, and it had the unfortunate side-effect of deleting some people's entire mailbox when it came across a suspicious email, and then those .mac subscribers came complaining to apple, since it's one of thos selling points for the .mac service. apple was left to scramble and remove the update from the .mac download page, issue a warning not to use it, and then it took, well, it felt like a LONG time for virex to fix the problems. and seriously, virex 7.6 STILL isn't tiger compatible??? it's not like mcafee (sp?) didn't know it was coming. i really thought virex being bundled with .mac was a great thing, but now it's becoming a black eye on the service.

that leaves norton (which i still don't understand why a virus app need to apply kernel extensions) or intego's virus-barrier... i agree that it's not a huge deal now compared to windows, but it's only a matter of time...

when did that happen?
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Quote:

when did that happen?

i believe it was the ill-fated virex 7.2 update. if macfixit hadn't made their archives subscriber-only, you could go look up the details. they had to crank it back to 7.1 for a while.

if i have my version numbers wrong, someone please feel free to correct me.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i believe it was the ill-fated virex 7.2 update. if macfixit hadn't made their archives subscriber-only, you could go look up the details. they had to crank it back to 7.1 for a while.

if i have my version numbers wrong, someone please feel free to correct me.

i subscribed after Virex 7.2 so had the fortune of missing this. Isn't Norton worse than McAfee though?
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by BZ

Imagine:

- Syncing Transmit, Adobe, iTerm, FireFox prefs, settings

- Syncing DVDPedia database

wow... thunderbolt of an idea here -- what if apple and adobe worked together to allow syncing of colorsync settings over ip? then your output place could literally remotely sync your computer up to THEIR color sync profiles (if you allowed them to, of course). printing somewhere else? just switch your colorsync "location." no more surprises when the blue you saw on your screen or office printer doesn't match the blue spitting out of their printers.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

Or you could pay $100 for yourself and $40 for the email accounts for others. It's not a bad deal overall.

You would have a point if email is all I cared about. The ability of a family to sync an address book and such is really cool, but not worth the money. I would accept $100 for the family price, but anything more is ridiculous.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:

i subscribed after Virex 7.2 so had the fortune of missing this. Isn't Norton worse than McAfee though?

depends on your definition of the term "worse." like i said earlier, norton got all "kernel extension happy" when they had to update stuff for mac os x. this, in turn, broke other apps and updates because they weren't expecting those kernel extensions to be there. basically, norton took an os 9 mentality to dealing with os x. to my knowledge, norton is still the only disk maintenance and anti-viral company that uses this method to do its work.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i hope Address book sync gets improved. When I sync between my Nokia 6600 and Macs, some contacts get currupt, duplicated, etc. Its a pain in the ass

Also, I honestly hope .Mac Webmail gets DRASTICALLY upgraded

- tell me in main page how much space I have left

- Let there be INLINE picture attachments (,mac is like h eonly service in the world that wont allow you to see attached pictures within the email... you have to download them first... aaaaggggghhh)

- Report Junk mail!!!

- better search (Spotlight technology in the webmail as well, not just To: Subject

- online filters to user created folders, etc.

If it wasnt for Sync, I think I wouldve ditched .Mac a while ago.

Version 3 better get its act together
  • Reply 37 of 78
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

i hope Address book sync gets improved. When I sync between my Nokia 6600 and Macs, some contacts get currupt, duplicated, etc. Its a pain in the ass

Installed Tiger, tried to sync with my T610 : It erased *ALL* my contacts on the T610 without any warning !

So you should backup your phone address book before trying iSync... ;-)
  • Reply 38 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

wow... thunderbolt of an idea here -- what if apple and adobe worked together to allow syncing of colorsync settings over ip? then your output place could literally remotely sync your computer up to THEIR color sync profiles (if you allowed them to, of course). printing somewhere else? just switch your colorsync "location." no more surprises when the blue you saw on your screen or office printer doesn't match the blue spitting out of their printers.

This already happens. Photoshop embeds color profiles into every file you save.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by eji

"sources said Apple will begin to phase out support for the currently featured Virex anti-virus software"

Okay, this is rubbish. Looking beyond the fanboy myths, viruses for the Mac platform aren't an impossibility. I like getting Virex bundled with my .Mac subcription. It's an enticing bonus, allowing me constant, gratis access to a decent virus scanner. That they're "phasing it out" means I no longer have that luxury, and now I'm paying $100 a year for... what? A measly 250MB of storage? Some iPhoto pages? E-mail? A handful of Dashboard widgets? It's a joke. My ISP (Tiscali.de) gives me free e-mail and online disk space just for signing on, and there are excellent free alternatives to everything .Mac offers: Gmail, Flickr, FreeDrive, and training at MacOSX.com.

New templates are all very well, but this "upgrade" is really making me rethink why I'm paying for .Mac. I've been hounding them for blogging support, and I really thought that any improvements would take this Web phenomenon into account. But it seems that Apple is trying to give less and less for the same price.

did you read this article at all? read the next couple sentences, they are phasing it out because mac os tiger doesn't support the new virex version, they are incompatible. panther users still will be able to download virex.

although viruses are a possibility for mac machines, none have ever been made for mac os X. even if there were a small handful of viruses, it's just as efficient to make a software update for each virus to remove the vunerability of each virus individually. there's no point to getting virus protection software for mac. their virus definitions are a joke, the only thing anti virus programs do for mac is to prevent yourself from spreading WINDOWS VIRUSES to other people.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zoc

Installed Tiger, tried to sync with my T610 : It erased *ALL* my contacts on the T610 without any warning !

So you should backup your phone address book before trying iSync... ;-)

maybe if you didnt steal tiger before it came out you'd have a better copy of the OS that would work better