Apple sued over "Tiger," requested injunction could prevent launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Sounds like Apple getting back some of what its dished out Its funny. I can see Jobs now.
  • Reply 22 of 97
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

What they should do is launch a new division of their company called AppleDirect and see what happens.

Not much, I'd say. I used AppleISP as my service provider for years.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Sounds like Apple getting back some of what its dished out Its funny. I can see Jobs now.

You mean because Apple sued people who actually did illegal and damaging things?
  • Reply 23 of 97
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Yeah -- But check the status:

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=78269988

"Current Status: An opposition is now pending at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board."

Best,

Kasper

Wow. I didn't even notice that.
  • Reply 24 of 97
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    They are a friggin subsidiary of systemax!!!!

It's that systemax guy's fault.

ooh is Steve gonna be pissed

750,000,000 will buy you the company steve!!

I want my Tiger you D*ck heads!!

+++++

TigerDirect.com

7795 W Flagler St. Suite 35

Miami, FL. 33144

About The Company

TigerDirect.com was established to serve the needs of computer users, and today we are one of the industry's top computer and computer-product retailers. Our web site has been ranked among the New York Times' "Top 25 Online Retailers" in 2002. And our catalog has become a textbook for computer users. But our success has been built on a simple principle: take care of every customer like they were a member of our family. From the beginning, our top priority was to provide unmatched customer care and to help our customers understand how technology could help them. We've always invited intelligent, courteous men and women to staff our call center; to answer your questions, make recommendations and deliver solutions. We stock our web site with the latest products, the best deals---and plenty of information to help you decide for yourself. We are proud of each and every member of our staff, because they make the difference.

Just because we offer the industry's lowest prices doesn't mean we skimp on service. In fact, it is because we take care of our customers?and you continue to support us with your business?that we're able to use our buying power to get you the best deals.

So when you call us or log onto our web site, you're doing business with a company that is enthusiastic about computers, and about matching our customers with the items that they need. And we intend to continue serving you. Every day.

There are a lot of reasons to come to TigerDirect.com for your PC-product needs. We've got the largest selection-over 50,000 items in stock and ready to ship from our state-of-the-art warehouse facility.

We've also created one the industry's most popular brands of personal computers, built with premium components and backed by our award-winning technical support staff. That means keeping up with the winds of change that swirl through the business world today. It means having the resources to invest in our customers as a Fortune 1000 company (we are a subsidiary of Systemax Inc.), we have those resources. And we have the vision. While our competitors were selling high-priced machines with their vision of what the business world needed, we gave our customers alternatives-by offering "Build-To-Order" and fully customized systems. While our competitors cut corners by skimping on the details, we used only premium-quality components. In fact, that's the cornerstone of our concept.

Our people are, and have always been our greatest asset. If I had to make the choice between the absolute best in technology and mediocre people or great people and mediocre technology, I'd choose great people every time. Hands down. Fortunately, I don't have to make that choice. We've combined great people with great technology and that means a satisfying and pleasant experience for you. It starts with a professional, courteous, patient and knowledgeable person on the phone. We can help you whether you're buying your first PC, adding memory, adding a peripheral or purchasing hundreds of PCs for a large corporation. Our people are ready to help you, they are the best in the industry-and I'm proud of each and every one of them. In fact, until they are certified and trained by our customer service and sales leaders, they won't even have the opportunity to take your call.

There are a lot of reasons to make TigerDirect.com your source for computer-related products-the industry's best selection of in-stock products, outstanding PCs built with premium components, exceptional leasing options, the best technical support and customer service in the business and the best prices on everything we sell. But the one you'll like the most is the service you receive.

TigerDirect.com is a subsidiary of Systemax Inc. - a $1.5 billion public corporation listed on the New York Stock Exchange. We have the resources to get you what you need, when you need it - along with the culture of customer care that will make it an enjoyable, hassle-free experience. We guarantee it.
  • Reply 25 of 97
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The timing couldn't be better. I guess the CEO just read about it in the Wall Street Journal this morning.
  • Reply 26 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

In other news... Microsoft Corps. was handed a lawsuit by the University of Texas alleging that the Windows maker was illegally using its trademark of the word "longhorn."

i wish they would. i'm a texas longhorn and i feel that the windows project name is sullying the reputation of my school.
  • Reply 27 of 97
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I say we call Tiger Direct and try to order OS X Tiger!!

then complain that they are using apple to lure customers!!

• Reply 28 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The timing couldn't be better. I guess the CEO just read about it in the Wall Street Journal this morning.

Yeah, obviously the timing is suspect... But Apple could possibly use the defense of laches. Tiger Direct is basically doing what is called a "legal ambush".
  • Reply 29 of 97
    hugihugi Posts: 33member
    Wow, I can't believe I did business with Tiger Direct in the past. That won't happen again though.

Bloody extortionists.
  • Reply 30 of 97
    hugihugi Posts: 33member
    Oh, and make sure you let them know how you feel about this.
  • Reply 31 of 97
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Are you f'n kidding me? It never ends.
  • Reply 32 of 97
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

Kellogg's Tony the Tiger better look out.

Apple got round the Tony problem easily - he is an Apple employee, so there won't be any confusion with Frosties thankfully. MacWorld UK
  • Reply 33 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

At the root of the issue appears to internet search results. Tiger Direct contends that Apple's use of the name has adversely affected its ranking amongst the Internet's largest search engines, Google and Yahoo, bumping the company from its usual spot in the first three results.

You can sue over loss of Google ranking? That's certainly a unique interpretation of trademark law. Anybody ever heard of Google Bombing? Want to try it on Tiger Direct?

That being said, it doesn't look like they are searching for a preliminary injunction, so it shouldn't effect Tigers launch.
  • Reply 34 of 97
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    It is hard to feel sympathy for Apple when stupid lawsuits like this one pop up. Live by the sword die by the sword. There may be "some" legitimate complaint on behalf of the Tiger Direct but the timing shows reveals it is a just a money grab like most lawsuits. I think the injunction would actually give "Tiger" that's Mac OS X 10.4, an even bigger publicity push. When will the copyright BS end?
  • Reply 35 of 97
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    You know now that I think about it I don't remember hearing about the car manufacturer Jaguar filing a lawsuit. Maybe they can jump on the bandwagon with these idiots and claim confusion between an operating system and luxury sports car. I can see how people would be confused between the two. Sure it was 10.2, and that was years ago, but it is never to late to prove you are a moron. This is so stupid!

Besides haven't they already started shipping. The release of Tiger is going to happen whether they like it or not.
  • Reply 36 of 97
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    What about the fact that Apple has called it tiger since WWDC last year...they have had tons of time, they shoulda done this in september or so of last year if they were serious...it would have given apple time to change the marketing and make everyonr happy - but this last minute thing is just trying tto grab some of the headlines that Tiger has been getting recently - any judge in his right mind would toss this out.

And furthermore: IF there is an injunction issued and Apple blows it off, that is a couple of million in fines at tops, well worth it IMHO.

<Update>

Didnt Jaguar (the car company) sue Apple? or am I mistaken...I think it was tossed out...or so I recall

AND there, when I was a kid, was a handheald electronic game and electronic toy company called Tiger...way before tigerdirect, hell before business even knew what .com was
  • Reply 37 of 97
    On the face of it, these Tiger people have a fairly good case - registration of the word Tiger in relation to computing, which Apple appears to be infringing. The timing sucks though - clearly done in the hope that Apple pays up to keep them quiet.

Hopefully Apple will just sling them some money out of court tomorrow morning, so Tiger can be released tomorrow, and then we can all give this greedy, selfish company the abuse they deserve.
  • Reply 38 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Telephone Support

\t

Sales Inquiries / Product Information\t800.800.8300

Customer Service and Support\t800.800.8300

Educational Sales (M-F 8AM-8PM EST)\t888.278.4437

Corporate Sales / Licensing (M-F 8AM-8PM EST)\t888.278.4437

Reseller Hotline (M-F 8AM-8PM EST)\t888.736.4672

International Callers\t305.415.2201

Para Clientes en Español\t888.222.9800

To Fax Us An Order\t305.415.2202

Let 'em have it boys - I'm going to call and enquire right now. I might send a fax or two as well ...

I called'em!!! Asked'em if they sold OS 10.4 Tiger. He said, "What's that?" I said, "It's Tiger. You're TigerDirect, right?"

"I don't know what that is, sir. Do you have a product number?"

"Uh....you're TigerDirect, right? It's Tiger. You're Tiger. I'm confused here."

"Sir, where did you find this product?"

"Uh....I searched with Google. That's where I found it...er, you...on Google."

"Sir, we don't sell that product."

"But you're TigerDirect, right?"

"Yes, sir."

"Well, it's Tiger ,too. I'm confused here. Okay, well...I guess I'll have to look for the Tiger somewhere's else. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"
  • Reply 39 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

On the face of it, these Tiger people have a fairly good case - registration of the word Tiger in relation to computing, which Apple appears to be infringing. The timing sucks though - clearly done in the hope that Apple pays up to keep them quiet.

Hopefully Apple will just sling them some money out of court tomorrow morning, so Tiger can be released tomorrow, and then we can all give this greedy, selfish company the abuse they deserve.

However, it appears that Tiger Direct, has the word 'Tiger' registered only in relation to 'Mail order catalog services featuring computers and computer related products; and Retail store services featuring computers and computer related products.'

Arguably, an operating system is a sufficiently different category that Apple would succeed in a case. Can't believe they tried this today when it now looks as if they don't even have an arguable case.
  • Reply 40 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by kerryb

It is hard to feel sympathy for Apple when stupid lawsuits like this one pop up. Live by the sword die by the sword. There may be "some" legitimate complaint on behalf of the Tiger Direct but the timing shows reveals it is a just a money grab like most lawsuits. I think the injunction would actually give "Tiger" that's Mac OS X 10.4, an even bigger publicity push. When will the copyright BS end?

Apple sued over the illegal disclosure of proprietary information...the release of which was prohibited by the voluntary singing by the guilty party of a binding legal contract called a Non-Disclosure Agreement. What TigerDirect is doing is total BS.