MHZ or RAM?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Heyas, am guessing this applies to all Mac hardware, not just this case...

Though am either going to get a powermac 2.3 with 1gb ram OR a 2.0 with 2gb ram.

What would you go for? Which will run faster?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quamb

Heyas, am guessing this applies to all Mac hardware, not just this case...

Though am either going to get a powermac 2.3 with 1gb ram OR a 2.0 with 2gb ram.

What would you go for? Which will run faster?

unless you're going to be doing Motion projects or large video editing projects, the 2.3 would be a better choice i think. It really depends on what you do.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MHz. You can add RAM later but not MHz.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I'd actually go for the more RAM option. The CPU's clock difference is 13%, but the real-world performance difference is likely less than 10%, meaning you won't really "feel" it.

OSX is more RAM limited at this point, so the more the merrier AFAIC.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Mhz now.

1gig of RAM will hold you for quite a while. Another 512 MB is like an extra what, $100 if you want? I've got 1.5 GB and I've never needed more (except for 'fast' user switching, but I don't think anything will satiate that and for good reason). Btw, I use Maya and Photoshop heavily. I haven't used FCP since my 500Mhz G4, though.

For RAM, once you get "enough", adding more adds no speed. Mhz always adds speed, though not quite as raw numbers indicate as nowayout11 pointed out.

Really though, I'd recommend the 2.7 with 512 MB RAM and buy the rest from someone else :P
  • Reply 5 of 6
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Really though, I'd recommend the 2.7 with 512 MB RAM and buy the rest from someone else :P

Doesn't this break warranty? I've wanted to do this though'd rather pay the extra cash to keep it all Apple safe?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by quamb

Doesn't this break warranty? I've wanted to do this though'd rather pay the extra cash to keep it all Apple safe?

Nope. You can upgrade whatever you want in a tower. That's the main point of their existence. :P

You can also upgrade RAM in any computer Apple makes without voiding the warranty, but the tower's the only thing you can add extra hd's/gpu's/whatnot to.