Why new Powermac's so slow!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah - A jump of .2 ghz whoopady dooda.

How is apple planning on selling ANY 1.8ghz powermacs when the new iMac's come out. let me see - a 2ghz iMac with screen blahdy blah or a 1.8ghz powermac without screen bot at around the same price - But of COURSE apple is still going to sell powermacs.

Is it just me or does apple need to do some more market research. The only thing impressive to me this round of updates is Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    How many PCI slots does this iMac have, then?
  • Reply 2 of 31
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krispie

Can you upgrade the video card in the iMac?

Can you have more then one hardrive in the iMac?

Can you upgrade the monitor on the iMac?

Can you not look like a fairy when your using the gay looking iMac?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by krispie

The iMac G5 doesn't have PCI slots...
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

How many slots do you have.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    How hompohobic do you sound when posting about a bloody computer?
  • Reply 6 of 31
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    ZZZzzzzz...

IBTL
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamblor

ZZZzzzzz...

IBTL

i concur doctor...
  • Reply 8 of 31
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

How is apple planning on selling ANY 1.8ghz powermacs when the new iMac's come out. let me see - a 2ghz iMac with screen blahdy blah or a 1.8ghz powermac without screen bot at around the same price - But of COURSE apple is still going to sell powermacs.

Is it just me or does apple need to do some more market research. The only thing impressive to me this round of updates is Tiger.

go run back to your Wintel. really. and read the "G5 whiners" link in my sig.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

Maybe that's why I asked the question then. And why a 1.8 tower might be preferable to some people than an iMac
  • Reply 10 of 31
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

AAAAAAAAAAAAnd thank you!!!

why is this thread in fh?

[edit] my girlfriend gets horny when i look like a fairy,

so... i don't get much work done since i bought one.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Feeling the lock already...
  • Reply 12 of 31
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

Apples hardware is lacking to say the least. Its not the tech itself but how its marketed etc. why does apple force 2 CPU's on you? why not sell a single fastest next to a dual? I doubt a 1.8 G5 is going to drive a 6800UT well but i bet a single 2.7 G5 and a 6800UT would be nice. Apple what are you doing??? silly games instead of selling product. If the high end is scarce then again why 2??? Pretty hard to grow market when you are being dumb. Its like apple doesnt want you to have it your way.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Because a single 2.7 wouldn't be competitive.

I'm always reading complains about Apple hardware on AI but no one ever states that they "cannot" do their job on the hardware they feel is lacking.

Onlooker being the acception because he requires a high end 3D card that flat out isn't available on the Mac(Quadro series).

Everything else can be done. PCI-Express is not going to hinder or help you right now its a future proofing item. Dual Optical or more than 2 internal bays are in inconvenience but not a showstopper.

So in essence because a large portion of the complainers are fairly unproductive people they must busy themselves finding an area to complain about.

Note that since the PMs now have DL DVD Burners we're now spared from the "I can't belive Apple doesn't have DL burners!" rants.

Next it'll be "Apple 'only' has one 16x PCI-Express lane..they suck!"

It'll never end.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    I played around with one of the new machines today and it is screaming fast. I wonder if people here are forgetting about the 1.35G frontside bus on the new 2.7.

Some of you may not be happy until dual core arrives...
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Can you upgrade the video card in the iMac?

Can you have more then one hardrive in the iMac?

Can you upgrade the monitor on the iMac?

I'm pretty sure the point was that slots and expandability are not worth the premium charged on the disputed PM. Those expansions are available on almost any crapola system.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by DifferentLee

I played around with one of the new machines today and it is screaming fast. I wonder if people here are forgetting about the 1.35G frontside bus on the new 2.7.

Some of you may not be happy until dual core arrives...

Mac users are setting themselve up for disappointment. Dual-Core is hot right now because the PC press is hyping it for Pentium users who've been single core the whole way.

What do people really think DC chips are going to do for Macs? While I agree that a Quad Core system would rock there's nothing really significant about a DC system that will generate a large real world improvement. The Mac hype/disappointment about DC is rooted in bragging rights. Our OS already supports Dual Processing better than Brand X.

The 2.7GHz Mac should be smokin' It's a fast chip but Job's has already created the "3GHz Monster" and expectations in the Mac community have gone totally overboard.

When I hear people remark that a Powermac with a 2GBps PCI bus and 2.7Ghz per chip is "lame" I have to wonder why they have succumbed to the "mines bigger than yours" ethos.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

AAAAAAAAAAAAnd thank you!!!

why is this thread in fh?

[edit] my girlfriend gets horny when i look like a fairy,

so... i don't get much work done since i bought one.

And what's his name?

Sorry couldn't resist.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

When I hear people remark that a Powermac with a 2GBps PCI bus and 2.7Ghz per chip is "lame" I have to wonder why they have succumbed to the "mines bigger than yours" ethos.

Until my computer is done processing my request before I make it all negative points are valid. Don?t make excuses for Apple, they want to make money, well they can have it as long as they?re ahead of the game. When they drop the ball then it?s or obligation as a cool aid drinking consumer to pounce. Now if you can excuse me Dawson Creeks on.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

What do people really think DC chips are going to do for Macs?

Two years from now, they're going to make iMacs really fast!
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Two years from now, they're going to make iMacs really fast!

I'm guessing the iMac G5 will go dual core in about a year. Fall 2006