Apple releases QuickTime 7.0 for Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple today released QuickTime 7 for Mac OS X "Panther," which was developed under the code-name "Gibson." The update provides a vast array of new features, including: H.264 video support, live player resize, zero-configuration streaming, surround sound, new and improved playback controls and an all-new content guide. Users who pay a $30 upgrade fee to QuickTime 7.0 Pro will gain access to advanced features such as: audio and video recording, simplified movie sharing, full-screen floating controls, H.264 video creation, surround audio creation, concurrent exports, improved movie authoring, AAC constant-quality encoding and 3G streaming content creation. Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" users can access the update from the Software Update mechanism located in the Apple menu.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i can't wait for some "professional" to upgrade to quicktime7, then all of a sudden realize he or she has to pay $30 unless Final Cut Studio is on its way. call me mean, but i know it's gonna happen and it serves them right. 8)
  • Reply 2 of 39
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Test Clips Here... Short clips from Matrix Revolutions (see important disclaimer below)

(edit: links fixed now)

CLIP 01

5.4mb, (right-click and save as/download)

http://www.phatcraft.com/matrix_revo..._clip.h264.mov

(encoded with Quicktime 7 Pro h.264, single pass,

video rate limited to 1000kbits/sec,

640x272 pixels)

CLIP 02

4.5mb (right-click and save as/download)

http://www.phatcraft.com/matrix_revo...ip.h264.02.mov

(encoded with Quicktime 7 Pro h.264, multi-pass,

video rate limited to 800kbits/sec,

640x272 pixels)

CLIP 03

8.7mb (right-click and save as/download)

http://www.phatcraft.com/matrix_revo...ip.h264.04.mov

video rate target was ~ 1800kbits/sec,

640x272 pixels)

CLIP 03 is NICE at 2kbits/sec man... remember that these clips are re-encoded from a DVD MPEG-2 compressed approx 816x336 clip

quality would be great if you had a high-def uncompressed source, no? and something like Sorenson Pro AVC h.264 codec to give you that 'encoding edge'. but for $30 bucks, this is pretty sweet cutting edge h.264

and they play back well on quicktime7 for panther 10.3.9 even fullscreen, even on my iBook G4 933mhz 256mb ram. well done apple.

disclaimer: the above clip is (c) respective owners. this clip is only used for testing, non-commercial educational purposes

• Reply 3 of 39
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    heres a question for those in the know. if you upgrade to pro do you have to wait to get the box in the mail? why cant apple just send you an email with the key code? seems like a simple enough thing that would save a few days time once your $30 gets processed...
  • Reply 4 of 39
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

heres a question for those in the know. if you upgrade to pro do you have to wait to get the box in the mail? why cant apple just send you an email with the key code? seems like a simple enough thing that would save a few days time once your $30 gets processed...

methinks that's what they do... you only get a receipt in the mail IIRC
  • Reply 5 of 39
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    is that for sure? no one out there has upgraded to pro?

i would imagine thats what would happen but u never know...
  • Reply 6 of 39
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

You can, they do, and it's instant.

• Reply 7 of 39
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Test Clips Here... Short clips from Matrix Revolutions (see important disclaimer below)

(edit: links fixed now)

CLIP 01

5.4mb, (right-click and save as/download)

http://www.phatcraft.com/matrix_revo..._clip.h264.mov

(encoded with Quicktime 7 Pro h.264, single pass,

video rate limited to 1000kbits/sec,

640x272 pixels)

CLIP 02

4.5mb (right-click and save as/download)

http://www.phatcraft.com/matrix_revo...ip.h264.02.mov

video rate limited to 800kbits/sec,

640x272 pixels)

CLIP 03

8.7mb (right-click and save as/download)

http://www.phatcraft.com/matrix_revo...ip.h264.04.mov

video rate target was ~ 1800kbits/sec,

640x272 pixels)

CLIP 03 is NICE at 2kbits/sec man... remember that these clips are re-encoded from a DVD MPEG-2 compressed approx 816x336 clip

quality would be great if you had a high-def uncompressed source, no? and something like Sorenson Pro AVC h.264 codec to give you that 'encoding edge'. but for $30 bucks, this is pretty sweet cutting edge h.264

and they play back well on quicktime7 for panther 10.3.9 even fullscreen, even on my iBook G4 933mhz 256mb ram. well done apple.

disclaimer: the above clip is (c) respective owners. this clip is only used for testing, non-commercial educational purposes

Looks stunning - cant wait to see what a 300-400k stream looks like
  • Reply 8 of 39
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I have FCP HD but would glady pay the $30 for QT Pro 7.0.

Now upgrading to the new FCP won't exactly be as easy for me. I will probably hold off on that.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    So how long until QT7 is available as a standard download for everyone?
  • Reply 10 of 39
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

So how long until QT7 is available as a standard download for everyone?

ahhh, isnt that what this thread is about? That its available for everyone...I am downloading it right now.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    grafgraf Posts: 22member
    Presumably, it's a bad idea to install this update if you have bought quicktime 6 pro (and quicktime 6 mpeg-2 plugin)? Or can the two run side by side?
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

ahhh, isnt that what this thread is about? That its available for everyone...I am downloading it right now.

Sorry.. what I meant was Windows. (everyone *else*)
  • Reply 13 of 39
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by graf

Presumably, it's a bad idea to install this update if you have bought quicktime 6 pro (and quicktime 6 mpeg-2 plugin)? Or can the two run side by side?

I have Pro and just installed 7.0.

If Pro is there, I can't find it. So I guess you can't if you do a basic software update.

But that is ok because I had planned on buying Pro as soon as I get Tiger loaded (this weekend).
  • Reply 14 of 39
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Sorry.. what I meant was Windows. (everyone *else*)

Oh yah, sorry forgot there was other people besides us mac users.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Backup your old QT player so it doesn't get over written during the upgrade. It should work afterward, with full pro features if you have it.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Just tried to encode a 3 minute 720x575 clip in h.264 from final cut.

Estimated time left 60 minutes on a dual 2.0 with 1500mb RAM, with fans going up and down...
  • Reply 17 of 39
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Minguez

Just tried to encode a 3 minute 720x575 clip in h.264 from final cut.

Estimated time left 60 minutes on a dual 2.0 with 1500mb RAM, with fans going up and down...

What are your quality settings like?
  • Reply 18 of 39
    I hope there's an update released soonish to sort out performance issues.

Movies are close to unplayable on my G3 800 w/ 640MB RAM.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CrunchinJelly

I hope there's an update released soonish to sort out performance issues.

Movies are close to unplayable on my G3 800 w/ 640MB RAM.

"Movies", like ALL movies, even ones that used to play fine? Or "movies", like the new H.264 stuff?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    All movies.

Just regular .mov's are now close to unplayable.

Edit: I'm really annoyed, actually. Safari 1.3 is a massive improvement over 1.2, but QuickTime is simply awful. I don't dare buy Tiger now!