PowerBook and PC laptop displays

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello. I've made this post at Apple Discussions not long ago. I wish to get some other people's feedback (especially here). Hope you guys could help out, thanks!

As a recent switcher, I think my 15-inch PowerBook is gorgeous. The screen-size is absolutely amazing! However, when I compare the 'text fineness' with my 15-inch PowerBook and with Sony laptop (V505), the Sony laptop prevails.

It seems to me that the text are much clearer/sharper/finer on the Sony than the Apple. Can anyone help me out here? I've already sent my PowerBook to an Applecenter. The tech guys there said it's the best that Apple can do.

Also, is it me or my eyes that I think the 12-inch PowerBook displays look clearer/sharper/finer than the 15-inch PowerBook displays...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    i remember reading some laptop reviews from magazines and when they compared the PB 15" screen to certain Sony Vaio models...there was absolutely NO comparison. the Powerbook got beat...bad
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    First of all check the font smoothing in preferences, because apple has antialiasing for all font sizes, where as wintel does not. Then check your

gamma and white point settings in monitor settings. Then have your eyes checked, ask a friend if they see the same thing. Compare powerbooks if necessary.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    tlingtling Posts: 45member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmgeist

First of all check the font smoothing in preferences, because apple has antialiasing for all font sizes, where as wintel does not. Then check your

gamma and white point settings in monitor settings. Then have your eyes checked, ask a friend if they see the same thing. Compare powerbooks if necessary.

I've checked the preferences in Appearance and have set Font smoothing style to Medium or to Strong already. I've even calibrated the display etc. Have also checked my eyes (perfect 20/20 vision) after my purchase for your information.

Results are, my PowerBook still shows text not as sharp as my Sony. I.e. I took a picture of an airport digital bulletin board. On my PowerBook, the 'airport bulletin board' text is a little blurred/adjusted for an effect. However, viewing the same picture on my Sony, the 'airport bulletin board' text is very sharp and clear. Very difficult to explain here. I hope you guys understand what I mean...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    farvefarve Posts: 69member
    Doesn't the sony have a higer res. display?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tling

Hello. I've made this post at Apple Discussions not long ago. I wish to get some other people's feedback (especially here). Hope you guys could help out, thanks!

As a recent switcher, I think my 15-inch PowerBook is gorgeous. The screen-size is absolutely amazing! However, when I compare the 'text fineness' with my 15-inch PowerBook and with Sony laptop (V505), the Sony laptop prevails.

It seems to me that the text are much clearer/sharper/finer on the Sony than the Apple. Can anyone help me out here? I've already sent my PowerBook to an Applecenter. The tech guys there said it's the best that Apple can do.

Also, is it me or my eyes that I think the 12-inch PowerBook displays look clearer/sharper/finer than the 15-inch PowerBook displays...

i think this is something you have to admit 'defeat' in the screen arena... vaio screens are a bit nicer because its somewhat deeper blacks and crisper feel

i think the 15" powerbook has a nice widescreen format for viewing dvds/ 2.35:1 or 16:9 clips, space for palettes... there will always be something with a better screen than the powerbook out there 8) but you will have to use windows

also if it starts to really bug you you can always shop around for a external 17" or 20" lcd that gives you that quality you want, IMHO money spent on extra screen real estate is more worthwhile than a better screen itself...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    At least you can't see your own reflection in the PowerBooks screen!

Viktor
  • Reply 7 of 10
    The newer Vaio's have the X-Black technology on their screens which actually use two lamps. They are absolutely gorgeous comapred to any other laptop.

-indie
  • Reply 8 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Indecisive PC user

The newer Vaio's have the X-Black technology on their screens which actually use two lamps. They are absolutely gorgeous comapred to any other laptop.

-indie

They sure are, to bad it's a Sony though. I wish Apple would use components closer to the quality their prices are demanding. I find the Apple screens to be in the middle of the pack, not bright enough and to grainy. Compared to my Sharp MP30, my Powerbook looks like late 90's LCD tech.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Yup, let's not be Apple apologists. The PB display while good, does pale in comparison to those with x-Brite technology.

As far as glare and reflections, Sony has standalone X-Brite LCD diplays that have anti-glare built in. I'm sure it'll be incorporated into laptops soon if not already.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Sony does have agood thing going. But given the relections of their display makes it worse than apples. Its simple fo them to fix and if they do then they would have the best display by far.

Viktor