Very Angry ... Did not recieve Tiger today

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I pre-ordered Tiger with a student discount on the morning of April 13. I noticed yesterday afternoon that my Tiger order had yet to be shipped. I called the Apple Store and a woman assured me that it would go out tonight and would be at my door step tomorrow. I called back right before they closed because it had yet to ship and was assured by yet another Apple store employee that the software would ship. I finally went to bed after staying up to midnight in vain waiting for my tracking number. I woke up to find that Apple sent a shipment notification at 5:45 AM and an "appology" (although a very weak one at that) stating that my ship date had been moved from 6/28 to 6/29 but when I entered my tracking number in it stated that my order had in fact shipped on the 28th at 11 PM but that it was not expected to arrive until May 2nd. I called Apple when they opened and spoke to a very apologetic man who set me up for a return so that i could go ahead and buy the software when I went to the Apple Store at 6PM. He, however, offered no concession for this grave error in shippment. I called Apple back at 2:30 PM (they latest my FedEx guy ever comes is 1 PM and it was overly aparent from my shipment notification that my package was not arriving today). I spoke to a women and asked to be transfered to a manager to discuss compensation from Apple for their errors today. She assured me that their was an error in FedEx's shipment notification system and that they had a "special arangment" so that all the copies of Tiger would arrive today. She refused to connect me to a manager. I left for the Apple Store at Chestnut HIll at 4PM. I arrived at 5:15 PM and was the 26th person in line. I waited and finally entered at 6PM to be handed a scatch card that revealed I had one 1 free song on the iTMS. There was no free T-Shirt, no free mouse pad, no discounts, and no excitement from anyone in the store. I went straight to the front counter while grabbing a copy of Tiger on the way. I handed my copy of Tiger to the sales person and whipped out my Student ID. I was promptly informed that you had to order Tiger online in order to qualify for the Student discount.

I left the Apple Store almost 15 minutes after the event began extremely unhappy with Apple. I spent $30 on the Public Beta. Waited in line on March 23rd to fork over another $129 to the Sadle Creek (Memphis, TN) store for 10.0. Waited in line once again to pay another $20 to Sadle Creek to upgrade to 10.1. Forked over another $258 for 10.2 and 10.3 at the Sadle Creek store. I don't regret spending a single dime or waisting a single minute in those lines. I enjoyed the awesome ora of being at an OS X launch event. I however am extremely unimpressed with Apple today. Maybe I was just unlucky with my order. Maybe only the Chestnut Hill launch party was a dismal experience. I have been a fan of Apple Computers since I was 4 years old and have converted hundreds of PC users in my years. I have owned many Apple Computers, purchused much Apple store, and even invest my money solely in Apple Stock. Yet I debated switching to Linux today. I'm planning on calling the Apple Store tomorrow and seeing what they can do to make it up to me (I already purchased iWork the day it came out so they can just throw away one of those unsellable boxes on me).

Did anyone else have issues today?

Was anyone else at the Chestnut Hill launch and agree with me that it just plain sucked?

Were the other launch parties more exciting?

P.S. There was a happy ending to the story. My friend let me borrow his copy of 10.4 that had arrived from MacMall on time today. I'm posting this message from Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I'm in the same boat; I ordered on the 14th (I think) from the education store and mine just shipped, to arrive May 2. Yeah, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Having to wait a couple extra days for a new operating system is not going to cause me to switch platforms. If you look at the big Mac forums, including this one, you'll find this was a pretty common thing.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by jacinto46

I'm in the same boat; I ordered on the 14th (I think) from the education store and mine just shipped, to arrive May 2. Yeah, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Having to wait a couple extra days for a new operating system is not going to cause me to switch platforms. If you look at the big Mac forums, including this one, you'll find this was a pretty common thing.

Yea! I'm a little upset but I'm not going to switch platforms. I've been with the platform for fifteen years. One bad day won't end the streak. I just had to blow off some steam.

Sorry to hear you are in the same boat. Did you try contacting the store too? Did you have a similar experience?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Totally the same boat...

I was planning on going to the new Birmingham store over here for its opening, so I cancelled my order (which I had placed at 3pm GMT of the Tuesday Tiger announcement) on Thursday...

Getting to the store (170 mile drive - £30 in fuel and parking) to find I couldn't use my educational discount on Tiger, and that the 10% off voucher wouldn't work either. I can understand the 10% voucher as pretty much everyone there was there for Tiger, but to not do the edu discount on it seems bad. I reordered Tiger from the education store online and it has a shipping date of on/before 2nd May; Over here in the UK, it is a bank holiday, so I doubt it will ship on the 2nd at all...

Two good things came of my trip which really did make it for me; I met a couple of guys that I was with in the overnight Regent St queue, fantastic as we had lost contact details... As they turned up later I went to find them in the queue and ended up queuing again and got two t-shirts!

These opening events are really good fun though, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world, just a bit peeved I didn't get told about the non edu discount at the Store from the apple online woman canceling my order...
  • Reply 4 of 24
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ben Huebscher

Yea! I'm a little upset but I'm not going to switch platforms. I've been with the platform for fifteen years. One bad day won't end the streak. I just had to blow off some steam.

Sorry to hear you are in the same boat. Did you try contacting the store too? Did you have a similar experience?

I'm an edu user and mine was shipped right on time...and I got it April 29th. That really sucks for you, but you do have to realise that coordination of thousands of packages and shipmants is very hard and shipmants can easily get delayed. Here is an Idea, if you have photoshop, ask for the $150 photoshop CS2.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I didn't order Tiger until Friday morning. I too used the edu discount, and I received my Fed Ex tracking number this morning, scheduled to be here by May 3rd.

I am wondering if the whole Tiger Direct lawsuit played into any shipping delays?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Rush Limbaugh was a little upset too - he went on the air and said that he is using the gold master since his hasnt shipped yet...he was also ranting and raceing about how great it is - but I just find it funny that he admits on national radio to using the GM...the clip is on his website (till Mon. afternoon).
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Mine is now on a truck for delivery to my home in Arlington, TX! The only problem is I just arrived in NY!!! It was supposed to be to be by the 29th! Now I have to have my wife FedEx it to me in NY!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 24
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Mine is now on a truck for delivery to my home in Arlington, TX! The only problem is I just arrived in NY!!! It was supposed to be to be by the 29th! Now I have to have my wife FedEx it to me in NY!!!!

Tell Fedex and Apple your delima, they should eat the cost from tx to ny because there was a garentee...technicaly Apple broke a contract with you so they should eat the fedex over night
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Well after placing my second order last night, it has now been shipped. I wonder whether TNT (our courier) work on Bank Holidays, if so I could have it by Monday!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    bobo28bobo28 Posts: 59member
    No Tiger for Me this weekend!

I ordered my copy of Tiger at 5:46am on April 12th. Up until 9:30pm last

night, Apple insisted I would be getting my copy on the 29th. Here is my

routing from FedEx:

Apr 29, 2005\t 3:51 pm\tLeft FedEx Sort Facility NEWARK NJ,

9:44 am Arrived at Sort Facility NEWARK NJ \t

Apr 28, 2005\t11:39 pm\tLeft FedEx Ramp MIDDLETOWN PA \t

9:38 pm Arrived at FedEx Ramp MIDDLETOWN PA \t

6:28 pm\tLeft FedEx Origin Location MIDDLETOWN PA \t

5:36 pm\tPickup status MIDDLETOWN PA \t

Pre-routed meter pkg. picked up

I live in PHILADELPHIA. a hours drive from Middletown. What is my order

doing in Newark, NJ?. I usually get my Apple orders going directly from

Middletown, to Phila, to me. First Apple send on order "two day" service on

the 28th, when the promised delivery on the 29th. Then they insist I will

receive it despite the fact that FedEx says Monday , May 02, by 4:30, Apple

told me, several times yesterday, to ignore what Fed Ex and the Tracking site

said. At 4:45, Apple told me that they had "special information" that my

package was not in Newark, but in Philadelphia, that FedEx was working until

9:00pm and that I would have it! So I left a delivery authorization on my door

and went to the Tiger Party at the Apple Store: King of Prussia. ( I won a copy

of iWork !). When I got there, I told the store manger about my delivery

problems. She told me she would be happy to give a copy of Tiger is Apple

customer service authorized it. When she called, they insisted despite the

package would be delivered by 9:00pm, so no go!. ( and yes , it wasn't much of a party, no Tee shirts, etc.) For the same reason,

Apple refused to authorize a Saturday delivery, despite the fact that FedEx

said that all it would take was a phone call from Apple to authorize it ! ( By 9:

30 it was to late for that). At 9:30 pm the Apple rep very politely to me "We

failed You", "i am very sorry" : After Tiger arrives (on Monday), call customer

service and we will give you some free software from Apple to make it up to

you! They specifically won't authorize the King of Prussia Apple store to give

me a copy today, even though I'm will to drive up there. I guess its wait until

Monday and some free software for me! I wonder what they'll give me ? I

have all of Apples more inexpensive software. Maybe Final Cut HD? Maybe

this will be better in the long run, but it sure sucks now! Why would Apple ship something two day when they promised next day delivery? Why would Fedex all of a sudden stop shipping directly to Philadelphia, 1 hour away, ( a very big city) and instead ship to Newark , 3 hours away? I guess somebody doesn't like me!

• Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by bobo28

No Tiger for Me this weekend!

I ordered my copy of Tiger at 5:46am on April 12th. Up until 9:30pm last

night, Apple insisted I would be getting my copy on the 29th. Here is my

routing from FedEx:

Apr 29, 2005\t 3:51 pm\tLeft FedEx Sort Facility NEWARK NJ,

9:44 am Arrived at Sort Facility NEWARK NJ \t

Apr 28, 2005\t11:39 pm\tLeft FedEx Ramp MIDDLETOWN PA \t

9:38 pm Arrived at FedEx Ramp MIDDLETOWN PA \t

6:28 pm\tLeft FedEx Origin Location MIDDLETOWN PA \t

5:36 pm\tPickup status MIDDLETOWN PA \t

Pre-routed meter pkg. picked up

I live in PHILADELPHIA. a hours drive from Middletown. What is my order

doing in Newark, NJ?. I usually get my Apple orders going directly from

Middletown, to Phila, to me. First Apple send on order "two day" service on

the 28th, when the promised delivery on the 29th. Then they insist I will

receive it despite the fact that FedEx says Monday , May 02, by 4:30, Apple

told me, several times yesterday, to ignore what Fed Ex and the Tracking site

said. At 4:45, Apple told me that they had "special information" that my

package was not in Newark, but in Philadelphia, that FedEx was working until

9:00pm and that I would have it! So I left a delivery authorization on my door

and went to the Tiger Party at the Apple Store: King of Prussia. ( I won a copy

of iWork !). When I got there, I told the store manger about my delivery

problems. She told me she would be happy to give a copy of Tiger is Apple

customer service authorized it. When she called, they insisted despite the

package would be delivered by 9:00pm, so no go!. ( and yes , it wasn't much of a party, no Tee shirts, etc.) For the same reason,

Apple refused to authorize a Saturday delivery, despite the fact that FedEx

said that all it would take was a phone call from Apple to authorize it ! ( By 9:

30 it was to late for that). At 9:30 pm the Apple rep very politely to me "We

failed You", "i am very sorry" : After Tiger arrives (on Monday), call customer

service and we will give you some free software from Apple to make it up to

you! They specifically won't authorize the King of Prussia Apple store to give

me a copy today, even though I'm will to drive up there. I guess its wait until

Monday and some free software for me! I wonder what they'll give me ? I

have all of Apples more inexpensive software. Maybe Final Cut HD? Maybe

this will be better in the long run, but it sure sucks now! Why would Apple ship something two day when they promised next day delivery? Why would Fedex all of a sudden stop shipping directly to Philadelphia, 1 hour away, ( a very big city) and instead ship to Newark , 3 hours away? I guess somebody doesn't like me!

sorry to hear that but glad to hear someone was in the same boat as me ... that was pretty much exactly what I experienced. Glad to hear we are getting some free software for our troubles though I'm guessing they are going to try and buy us of with iWork (which I already own so that won't work for me plus that's a pretty weak deal). I'm hoping for something Pro-Software Upgrades or maybe at least a key for QT7 Pro (yea 'cause I already gave them $30 for QT6 Pro).

Apr 30, 2005 \t 7:44 AM\tAt dest sort facility \tFRANKLIN, MA \t

Apr 29, 2005 \t 3:50 PMDeparted FedEx location \tNEWARK, NJ

9:44 AM\tArrived at FedEx location \tNEWARK, NJ \t

Apr 28, 2005 \t 7:13 PM\tPicked up MIDDLETOWN, PA \t

6:28 PM\tLeft origin \tMIDDLETOWN, PA \t6:17 AM
  • Reply 12 of 24
    bobo28bobo28 Posts: 59member
    I have iwork, iLife, QTPro, .Mac, Remote Desktop. I'am a dam good customer!

I don't know whats left, Final Cut, Maybe PhotoshopCS ? I think they should give us hardware! Fat Chance!
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Same boat here. The "guaranteed" delivery for the 29th is now scheduled to arrive on 5/2 (btw, this was ordered the day it first became available, with an edu discount).

When it became clear on Friday that Apple had screwed up, I just walked from work to University Computers at BU and bought my copy there (which I should have just done in the first place...they had plenty of copies -- which was the concern that led me not to simply plan on this in the first place), since I had time set aside this weekend for the upgrade.

I will be returning the unopened box I ordered from Apple. I never would have been tempted by ordering direct from Apple (given my other options), except the free shipping, "guaranteed" delivery and the convenience of having it fedexed straight to work. I wonder if this is primarily an issue for those ordering with an educational discount?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Of those of you who didn't receive your copy of Tiger on time, I suggest you call their customer service reps. I just called and came away with a free copy of iLife. I just called and asked why I hadn't received my copy as my original invoice said it would be delivered by the 29th. The rep was apologetic and then checked to see if a Saturday delivery was possible.

Then I was offered $30 off anything on the web store. I told the rep that I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head, so I was then offered a choice of either iWork or iLife for free.

The thing I liked was that I didn't have to do any poking or prodding to get results. I just stated my one complaint, and didn't have to complain any further. I'm happy again.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I just got off the phone with Apple CS, same boat as you guys. Edu order, on the east coast. Opted for iLife since I did not have it, disappointed on one hand, but kudos for Apple to owning up to the mistake at least.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Yep, same here too, an educational order. My copy of Tiger started in PA (where I live) and went to New Jersey. They gave me the choice of iLife or iWork (chose iWork cause I already have latest iLife) when I called customer service. He said not too many people had called in with delivery issues, otherwise, they'd probably be shut down with calls.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by brujaz

Of those of you who didn't receive your copy of Tiger on time, I suggest you call their customer service reps. I just called and came away with a free copy of iLife. I just called and asked why I hadn't received my copy as my original invoice said it would be delivered by the 29th. The rep was apologetic and then checked to see if a Saturday delivery was possible.

Then I was offered $30 off anything on the web store. I told the rep that I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head, so I was then offered a choice of either iWork or iLife for free.

The thing I liked was that I didn't have to do any poking or prodding to get results. I just stated my one complaint, and didn't have to complain any further. I'm happy again.

Good thing you opted for iLife. I just got off the phone with Apple CS and it is not $30 off anything in the store. You have to choose a material good that costs less than $30. You can't get an iTunes Gift Cirticut for $30. You can't get a QT7 Pro licence. I finally had to opt for a game because books, games, and cords were all I could find for under $30. Wow, Appl, just wow.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    brujazbrujaz Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ben Huebscher

Good thing you opted for iLife. I just got off the phone with Apple CS and it is not $30 off anything in the store. You have to choose a material good that costs less than $30. You can't get an iTunes Gift Cirticut for $30. You can't get a QT7 Pro licence. I finally had to opt for a game because books, games, and cords were all I could find for under $30. Wow, Appl, just wow.

That's odd. The rep I talked too said $30 off any product in their web store, and if it was under $30 it was free. Oh well, at least they offered something.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    When I called, it took just a little bit of prodding. I had to ask if there was anything they could do, and at that point was offered either iWork or iLife. I chose iWork. For me, the $30 off option was never presented.

EDIT: Adding the phone number in the U.S., so that other people in the same situation don't have to look it up: 1-800-676-2775. Then select English, say you're calling about Tiger, and choose the "Retail Kit" option. Eventually you'll get to a point where you can hit '1' to talk to a rep. For me, the wait time was only 2 minutes.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    FedEx has told me that it is on a truck and should reach me by 5:30pm today. It's now 4pm and nothing. Apple did offer me a choice of iWork or iLife for my trouble. I chose iWork because I already have iLife.