Programming editors and graphics applications

imeime
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am in the process of deciding to buy a PowerBook or go with another notebook computer and have a few software related questions before even considering the Apple route. It actually should be an easy question to the regular Mac user.

On a Windows or Linux system there are quite a few free applications for graphics and programming. With that said, I am looking two things: a free app for programming/web development coding and an application for the creation and editing of graphics. Both have to be solid and either free or relatively cheap.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Programming: http://developer.apple.com/tools/

All free. Just can't beat these.

HTML: SubEthaEdit, BBEdit

$20-30

TextEdit in Tiger now has WYSIWYG HTML production that apparently isn't too bad.

Graphics: I use OmniGraffle ($30) and am just thrilled with it, but I'm not a graphics guy.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    imeime Posts: 40member
    But isn't OmniGraffle for just diagrams and illustrations?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

Never used it though, I just use Photoshop.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    the gimp is solid some say it is better than photoshop, though i use photoshoop and im fine with iut
  • Reply 5 of 8
    imeime Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

the gimp is solid some say it is better than photoshop, though i use photoshoop and im fine with iut

How is it on the Mac though? I know that OpenOffice.org is also a solid app, but I've heard it looks like crap on a Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Xemacs. Simply the best editor for programming. Period.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by heaven or las vegas

Xemacs. Simply the best editor for programming. Period.

Definitely when speaking multi-platform, but for the mac I'd easily say BBEdit is the best editor.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    I like TextMate.