PBs with Tiger?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi, I'm new to this forum and the Mac world.

I was thinking of getting a 12'' PB but I have a couple of questions regarding Tiger I hope you can help me with.

1. When does PB ship with Tiger bundled?

2. Is it possible to write Chinese (simplified), Japanese and Vietnamese with Tiger or do I need to buy a 3rd party software (if so, which one do you recommend)?

3. How does Tiger work in a PC network environment? Can I transfer files freely between the Tiger and a NTFS system like WinXP?

4. The guidelines for hosting a 4 person video chat in Tiger iChat states the computer needs to be a G5. Is this just a recommendation or really a hardware specific requirement?

Thank you for your help in advance.

LilJo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    1. That is a good question. You may need to call the Apple Store. I would think it would be available as a standard within the next few weeks.

2. It is possible to write Simplified Chinese and other Asian languages. They are built-in to the OS, and can be installed from the Mac OS X system disc if they aren't already installed. You would change languages via the Keyboard menu in the menu bar, just as you a do to adjust the volume or change wireless networks.

3. Pretty good.

4. It appears as through the 4-person video chat requires a G5.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    test
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    1. From what I heard at Tiger's debut last night in my local apple store, if Tiger is not installed on the system you buy online (from Apple), it will be shipped in box form with your order. At least that's what the salesperson told me, so I'm not completely sure.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    The 12" PowerBook is a bit 'meager' with Tiger. Well, it depends what you want to do.

If you want to use an external monitor with it (and trust me you likely will as 1024x768 resolution is a bit tight with OS X) you'll miss out on Quartz Extreme visual goodies as the 64MB VRAM is just not enough.

(See my 'Tiger: 64MB VRAM barely enough' thread for more info).

Also playback of some higher quality QuickTime 7 content is severely hampered if you don't have a G5. I suspect it's the terribly slow system bus that's the bottleneck with any H264 content, be it new HD QuickTime movies or iChat video conferences.

But on that front no one can help as Apple does not offer a G5 PowerBook yet.

Well, if we're lucky we might get G5 PowerBooks by the time of the World Wide Developer Conference in June...

Other than that I find that Tiger actually runs faster on a 12" PowerBook than 10.3. did. This is very welcome.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lupa

1. From what I heard at Tiger's debut last night in my local apple store, if Tiger is not installed on the system you buy online (from Apple), it will be shipped in box form with your order. At least that's what the salesperson told me, so I'm not completely sure.

It's true. I bought a 15" PB today and it came with Tiger in the box.