How to install new Widgets?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This could be a good sticky perhaps, but I am unsure how to have the widgets I download stay in the widget bar. I can't find out where to put them either, as spotlight turned up nothing for me.

Any help??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    You put downloaded widgets in the Library/Widget folder.

When in Dashboard you mouse down to the bottom left corner and hit that symbol to slide up a wall of widgets. You then select the widget you want and place it where it's wanted. You can also scroll left and right for more widgets.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    but you have to restart the dock to get the new widgets to show up. easiest way is to load up terminal and type "killall Dock"
  • Reply 3 of 18
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Ah, that is where I went wrong, didn't know to restart the dock. Thanks!!
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Interestingly enough, I noticed that if you download a widget by itself--not in a file or .zip or anything like that--Safari autmaotically moves it into your widgets folder. Nifty.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    where do you get your widgets from?
  • Reply 6 of 18
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Killall Dock does not work in Terminal. How do you restart the Dock?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    The other way is to kill the Dock process via the Activity Monitor in the Applications>Utilities folder. Just quit it and it'll restart afterwards.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I didn;'t have to kill the dock. They showed up.

You can also double click the file to see it w/o installing
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Er, have you tried just using the button to scroll to the next "page" of widgets and back around to the first "page"? That seems to get them to show up for me...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Ya know, everybody says, "Click on the arrow to go to the next page." Well, lemme tell ya, on a 30" screen there AIN'T no arrow. All the widgets are right there in front of you.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MatthewStorm

Killall Dock does not work in Terminal. How do you restart the Dock?

It does for me. Are you typing a capital D?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I am typing Killall Dock. I got it to work in Activity Monitor.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    darshudarshu Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MatthewStorm

I am typing Killall Dock. I got it to work in Activity Monitor.

Well your problem is you should be typing "killall Dock" with a lowercase k, just like the original post said...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    How do you uninstall widgets though? Isn't there a more official way besides having to navigate to the library folder and deleting it? Even that is kind of quirky.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Moderators, lets make this a sticky.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    The coolest thing is how the second hand on the clock widget looks like it's actually snapping into position as it moves. Very slick.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I tried to a downloaded widget and it showed up at first and then disappeared. I realized I didn't have it in the right folder but now there is a gap where it used to be in the widget dock thing. I want everything to be perfect. I have tried restarting the computer, restarting the dock, deleted the offending widget, everything. Still the gap remains. Any suggestions.