970 at WWDC accoding to macbidouille

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>

I agree. But, I think most of us would feel a whole heck of a lot better if they did. It would be confirmation that Apple will use the PPC 970.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So you're saying that if Apple showed prototype PPC 970 machines at WWDC, you wouldn't find that confirmation that they are going to use it?

I didn't think it was even arguable anymore that Apple would use the PPC970.... ah well.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Anyone at CeBIT ?

Today is the day of the IBM 970 blade demo as I recall.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    Listen guys, that will not happen. If the PPC 970 is demoed at WWDC, it will either be VERY secret - and we will never know anything about it - or it will be VERY official. If you think about it for a minute, the G4 was introduced just *before* WWDC 1999. This came as a surprise to everyone and set off a buzz among developers... if the PPC 970 is shown behind closed doors at WWDC, it will most likely confirm that we will NOT see the chip this year...

Jobs will want to make a splash about it, and the fact that he is withdrawing from MWNY indicates to me that either the G5 will not be ready for July, or it will already have been introduced by then.

Also, think about it... if IBM is aiming for a 1400-1800 Mhz first release, can Apple really afford another PMac G4 speed bump before that?
  • Reply 44 of 44
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    [quote]Originally posted by RazorMouse:

<strong>Listen guys, that will not happen. If the PPC 970 is demoed at WWDC, it will either be VERY secret - and we will never know anything about it - or it will be VERY official. If you think about it for a minute, the G4 was introduced just *before* WWDC 1999. This came as a surprise to everyone and set off a buzz among developers... if the PPC 970 is shown behind closed doors at WWDC, it will most likely confirm that we will NOT see the chip this year...

Jobs will want to make a splash about it, and the fact that he is withdrawing from MWNY indicates to me that either the G5 will not be ready for July, or it will already have been introduced by then.

Also, think about it... if IBM is aiming for a 1400-1800 Mhz first release, can Apple really afford another PMac G4 speed bump before that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You should stop obsessing about the MacWorld conferences -- Apple is moving away from all of them, not just this next MWNY. Jobs will want to make a splash, but an "Apple Event" and a media blitz will do at least a good and means they don't have to share the spotlight with anybody else.

As for when they are going to introduce the first 970-based machines, I don't think it has anything to do with WWDC either. They could show it publicly or privately at WWDC and they will probably introduce the 64-bit APIs for developers there. All that was done for AltiVec before the G4's arrival which actually happened in September, IIRC. The new machines will be introduced when they are ready, independent of anything else. The do not need to piggyback it on some other kind of event, and will do so only if it is coincident and improves their marketing blitz.