Mail 2.0

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I like the new version of Mail in Tiger, but I find the font for the mailboxes along the left too small (smaller than in Panther) and I can't find a way to change it. Has anyone figured it out?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Tick/Untick 'Use Small Mailbox Icons' when right-clicking in the mailbox pane.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thebimbo

Tick/Untick 'Use Small Mailbox Icons' when right-clicking in the mailbox pane.

Font size appears to stay the same. Just the folder icons resize.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Font size appears to stay the same. Just the folder icons resize.

Exactly. In Panther, the main font of the "main" folders was bigger and the subfolders font was smaller. Now all the font is the same size.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    mail 2.0 is fugly. nice buttons, hah!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

mail 2.0 is fugly. nice buttons, hah!

I wouldn't call it that. The interface, over all, is a big step up from previous versions. The buttons are odd, to say the least. That, and the small font, are the only 2 disappointments for me.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    one word: Cagefighter.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

one word: Cagefighter.

Outsider: thanks for the link. It was most helpful.

Thebimbo: what on earth are you talking about?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    I also found a flaw in the toolbar.

If you place a flexible space between the search field and other button, and then drag the vertical divider (between the mailbox list and the messages) all the way to the right until it is aligned with the search field, the flexible space will disappear. For some reason, the search field is linked to the location of that divider.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    spylaw4spylaw4 Posts: 52member
    I have several problems with Mail 2. On opening it doesn't open a viewing window until I go to Windows->Message viewer. Then it won't quit unless I use force quit.

Also - where have all my mail messages gone? All the imported mailboxes are empty - how can I get the important messages back?

Help!!

Thanks in advance

Later edit: Problem solved - so here is a possible solution for those with similar problems. The culprit - httpmail_panther (to retrieve Hotmail). There is some info in the Apple KB which led me to this. Trashed it and bingo! On firing up Mail - 1st time wizard appeared - old mail imported all is well!

So it might be as well to trash any bundled add-on to Mail.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spylaw4

Later edit: Problem solved - so here is a possible solution for those with similar problems. The culprit - httpmail_panther (to retrieve Hotmail). There is some info in the Apple KB which led me to this. Trashed it and bingo! On firing up Mail - 1st time wizard appeared - old mail imported all is well!

So it might be as well to trash any bundled add-on to Mail.

While this is a known issue, nobody seems to have had the problem I did. After a clean install of Tiger I ran into these issues:

a) Import Mail didnt work at all, I had to use Import Other, which was fine for Mail 1.0 inboxes.

b) The Mailbox folder ( in Libraries ) wasnt created properly, and was actually a file. I had to delete it, at which point everything worked ( when importing 'Other' ).
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by spylaw4

Problem solved - so here is a possible solution for those with similar problems. The culprit - httpmail_panther (to retrieve Hotmail). There is some info in the Apple KB which led me to this. Trashed it and bingo! On firing up Mail - 1st time wizard appeared - old mail imported all is well!

So it might be as well to trash any bundled add-on to Mail. [/B]

I had the same problems too. I had 2 plugins installed that I trashed and then Mail was fine.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    And WTF is up with Mail.app taking MINUTES to display a message?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

And WTF is up with Mail.app taking MINUTES to display a message?

I have had that happen a couple of times.

This morning, I ran into a HUGE problem with mail (background: I use 4 different IMAP accounts, nothing is stored locally).

I composed a message and sent it with a bcc to another account of mine. The message was sent to address with 'ldeo' in the name. When I received the copy that was BCC'ed to me, it shows that the message went to 'ldgo'. Crap, I thought, I typed it wrong.

I check my sent items. Message isn't there !?! I go to the webmail front end of this account and check the sent items and the message shows up there. It shows that the message went to 'ldeo'. I go back to Mail, again everything shows that it went to 'ldgo'.

I quit Mail, relaunch, and now the message appears in the sent items showing that it went to 'ldeo' (the correct one).

What the hell? I have no idea if my message made it properly. I don't much want to write back and say, "excuse me, did you get my message. You see, I couldn't hold out resisting the Tiger."
  • Reply 14 of 25
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by atomicham

I have had that happen a couple of times.

This morning, I ran into a HUGE problem with mail (background: I use 4 different IMAP accounts, nothing is stored locally).

I'm kind of in the same boat. 3 IMAP accounts and don't store anything locally, either. I downloaded, installed, and set up Thunderbird this morning in the amount of time it took Mail.app to display two new messages.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    How do you get the mailboxes pane to show up on the right??? I had no problem with this in the Panther version. In the old version, it just seemed to move there automatically if the left side of the mail window was close enough to the left side of the screen. Hope there is an easy way to fix this.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    The weird this is one of my computers does email in a second and this one is dreadfully slow. I thought something was just stuffed up during the install but I'm glad other people are having the same problem.

Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

How do you get the mailboxes pane to show up on the right??? I had no problem with this in the Panther version. In the old version, it just seemed to move there automatically if the left side of the mail window was close enough to the left side of the screen. Hope there is an easy way to fix this.

You can't anymore. Mail's window has changed and it now lives on the left. The old drawer is gone.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

You can't anymore. Mail's window has changed and it now lives on the left. The old drawer is gone.

Erm ... well that SUCKS. I relied on that to keep track of how much new mail I had when I had other windows in front of my mail window. How do I file a bug (or at least loss of feature) report?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    I haven't had much of a problem with speed. A few times it seemed there was a lag, but for the most part it's been much faster than in Panther.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I received an excel document as an attachment. Not tool long afterwards, my computer got really slow. Everything beachballing. Opened activity monitor and mail was using up to 90% of the cpu.

I turned off mail. Restarted. Same thing. Happened again today. On a whim I deleted the mail message with this attachment. All is well again. Bad file?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

While this is a known issue, nobody seems to have had the problem I did. After a clean install of Tiger I ran into these issues:

a) Import Mail didnt work at all, I had to use Import Other, which was fine for Mail 1.0 inboxes.

b) The Mailbox folder ( in Libraries ) wasnt created properly, and was actually a file. I had to delete it, at which point everything worked ( when importing 'Other' ).

IMAP is your friend.