Next version of iTunes (iTunes 5?), any word?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    I've submitted the Spotlight+iTunes idea to Apple using the iTunes suggestions form on Apple's website. Maybe version 5 will pleasantly surprise us. I've heard that Apple (unlike some major software companies ) actually take customer feature suggestions seriously.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Originally posted by r3dx0r

i'd rather see them add multiple music source folders (one as default so you don't get prompted every time you import music) and the ability to change using 'get info'). adding spotlight would kind of disable itunes's way to organize your music imo.

Why not give people the option, similar to the way it work at the moment? If someone wants iTunes to manage their music it uses source folders, the way it currently does, if not, it uses spotlight.

Best of both worlds.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    a dynamic spotlight playlist sounds good to me. they should be able to store indexes of 'discovered' music with coredata somehow, so the index wouldn't have to be rebuild every time you disconnect/connect your external hd. just like rendezvous with memory.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    I don't see Spotlight technology coming to iTunes for the simple fact that above all iTunes is now a Windows application. Perhaps when Longhorn comes around...
  • Reply 45 of 65
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Francisco_G

I don't see Spotlight technology coming to iTunes for the simple fact that above all iTunes is now a Windows application. Perhaps when Longhorn comes around...

Um...

Apple can implement whatever it wants into its apple only application. M$ does this all the time.

If you have this spotlight+itunes feature then you can hype it to the switchers.

Don't like your itunes windows experience then look at a mac for your next system. Sorry that Longhorn is so far away and may not contain the metadata search.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    You guys have serious problems with iTunes I don't.All of my songs stream into each other,I can keep iTunes on for more than 3 days,and my iPod mini installed very well.Plus,all of this was on a 2001 1.8ghz 256ram PC(wish I had a mac).
  • Reply 47 of 65
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Francisco_G

Spotlight technology came to iTunes first. At WWDC last year Jobs quite specifically stated they took what they already had in iTunes and expanded it to the whole system.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Telomar is correct.

Spotlight essentially takes the search feature from iTunes and makes it system-wide.

iTunes had it first, since, well, day 1.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AudioBlood

You guys have serious problems with iTunes I don't.All of my songs stream into each other...

The above may be true... but only if you mean something by "streaming into each other" which is NOT what's meant by other people saying that iTunes doesn't support gapless playback.

(Either that, or you have everything encoded in AIFF or WAV... I've heard iTunes manage gapless for AIFF, and maybe it can do it for WAV too. What's odd is that I'd think the Apple Lossless would come out gapless just like AIFF can, but it doesn't.)

To repeat: The issue of gapless playback has NOTHING TO DO WITH getting rid of gaps between songs by crossfading one song into the next. The trick of turning on crossfade with the crossfade time set to 0 can kinda sorta fake out having gapless playback, but not perfectly nor consistenly.

To also repeat: The issue of gapless playback has NOTHING TO DO WITH the "Join CD Tracks" feature of iTunes, which is a sometimes-applicable way of avoiding inter-track gaps, but not a full solution.

To head this one off at the pass, before yet another person who misses the point suggests it: The issue of gapless playback has NOTHING TO DO WITH the CD burning settings in iTunes. Setting the "Gap Between Songs" setting to "none" doesn't get rid of the last fraction-of-a-second gap iTunes typically introduces between tracks.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    I thought you were talking about music already imported.Songs that are imported usually play into each other.With the gapless situation,I'm not the best to listen to.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    dividenddividend Posts: 119member
    my wish is actuallyt that itunes becomes more creative... one thing would be to make it a dj-tool... you can mix songs just as if you were a dj with vinyl-records.

all the things mentioned here are add-ons that really should have been there long time ago, but making it a dj tool would make it very very cool. or perhaps as a separate app with ilife. if itunes-dj only came as a mac-app, i think it could draw a number of new people over.

given that many want to use better compression/no compression at all, itunes should be able to place songs on firewire harddrives and read from it when available, and when not available either not show the songs at all or something similar as long as it is not obstructive (a lot of ! all over your library makes you nervous).
  • Reply 52 of 65
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'd love other features, but playlist groups is all I really need. It will help with managing my iPod as well as keeping track of all the lists I have.

A bunch of other apps include this feature and its about time iTunes gets it too.

I didn't care when I didn't use playlists as much, but now that I have a bunch of them, I'd love to organize them better than alphabetically.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    I just figured it out... iTunes 5 brings iSync to Windows.

Its obvious!

There's already rumors that it will sync contacts and calendars in the next release. But if Apple is to support iTunes mobile devices, might as well have 'em sync you address book too.

Note also the dramatic departure of iSync from Tiger. There's .Mac syncing, but where's the focus on your devices?

I've only synced my iPod using iSync, not in Tiger yet. I also don't know about cell phone syncing in Tiger. But iSync was fairly standards-based and focused, and brining this to Windows will completely broadside M$ as well as the MP3 sites.

The only thing I don't see is iTunes for WinCE, as that threatens the iPod a bit too much.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Power Apple

Like the title says, have there been any rumors about the next version of iTunes (which I guess will likely be version 5). What new features to expect and when?

Personally, I'd like to see more user customizable options, not so much in regards to visuals but more when it comes to functionality: More options for organizing and searching the music collection, playlists, etc. and more advanced options for ripping and encoding CDs - e.g. more control over the error correction and maybe an error log/alert (like EAC on Windows).

Here's to hoping

I would like the ability burn CDs with some songs having a delay between them, and other with do delay (Sailin' Shoes/Hey Julia/Sneakin' Sally through the Alley)
  • Reply 55 of 65
    well, 4.8 is out; inch by inch ..
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Saw it on Apple's iTunes + iPod section, but its not appeared in my software update yet. Couldn't see any indication of the changes on Apple's site nor does it appear that the Windows version includes QT 7. Doh!
  • Reply 57 of 65
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    Ooh...a new button - 'show video full screen'. I guess new music Tuesday tomorrow will bring something new to the store.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    I want a damn scroll bar on the smart playlist window.

I have a number of smart playlists that have so many options the window is actually off the edge of the screen and there is no scroll bar!!!

Does no one else run into this problem?
  • Reply 59 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by PaulP

Ooh...a new button - 'show video full screen'. I guess new music Tuesday tomorrow will bring something new to the store.

Perhaps the Full Screen button will calm all the QT7 Pro critics.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    They should multithread it better. It's not many apps that is blocked by a get info or preference window anymore

Let's hope iTunes 5 follows the same path as Quicktime 7.