Annoying Things in Tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, most of us have had a couple of days to play with Tiger. What are some of your pet peeves? Overall, Tiger is fantastic, but there are a few things that are driving me crazy:

1) In list views (particularly mail) after you have selected multiple items, if you click and hold (to drag the selected items), you MUST move to the left or right. If you move up or down, it reverts to changing your selection. This bugs me.

2) "mds" -- This process is used by spotlight, I believe to update the index (though not mdimport). This seems to run a couple of times a day on my machine (after the initial 3-4 hour indexing which is to be expected) taking up to 80% of the CPU.

3) H.264 -- Actually, it is great; however, my machine is over 3 years old (TiBook 667) and watching anything in this codec brings the machine to its knees. I have to put it at the smallest possible size (think postage-stamp sized QuickTime 1).

4) Safari -- I used to simply type "cnn" (or any domain) into the address bar and safari would automatically go to www.cnn.com (or www.whatever.com). Now, it just spins and spins until I give up, go back and type it all out like a monkey.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by atomicham

4) Safari -- I used to simply type "cnn" (or any domain) into the address bar and safari would automatically go to www.cnn.com (or www.whatever.com). Now, it just spins and spins until I give up, go back and type it all out like a monkey.

i live by that. i hope that's just a bug and they fix it. soon. before i get tiger...
  • Reply 2 of 90
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    On Safari on my iMac G5 (running Tiger, of course), 'cnn' does indeed go straight to cnn.com.
  • Reply 3 of 90
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maffrew

On Safari on my iMac G5 (running Tiger, of course), 'cnn' does indeed go straight to cnn.com.

Hmmm, for some reason mine won't. I just blew away my preferences, re-launched, and it still won't.

If I type 'ebay', it becomes:

Code:

http://ebay/

and Safari just spins until it finally gives up and says it can't find it.

Strange.
  • Reply 4 of 90
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    That's very strange. I tried ebay too, and 'ebay' becomes http://www.ebay.com for me, loads fine.

Seems to work for anything too. 'moviepoopshoot' becomes http://www.moviepoopshoot.com, 'appleinsider' becomes http://www.appleinsider.com.

Very handy. Bit baffled as to why yours isn't working though.
  • Reply 5 of 90
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, maybe now it's doing what firefox et al. have done: basically, if you enter just "cnn," it doesn't assume you want cnn.com, and instead does an automatic google "i'm feeling lucky" search and returns the top link. great IF that's what you want...

internet explorer on pc has broken that .com convention for a long time now, and netscape did it for a while using their ultra-sluggish netscape search results page by default. you could change it back via their preferences, but it was a bear to find, even for an experienced user. so blame the browser wars for that debacle (alogn with myriad more). i'm not sure if it's a "better" way to do things, but at least .net's, .org's and the like now have a fighting shot against the oversaturated .com craze.

but in the end, maybe it's just a bug. if so, ignore my pontification.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

That should be your ISPs DNS servers at work. Same as www usually takes you to their homepage.
  • Reply 7 of 90
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

In list views (particularly mail) after you have selected multiple items, if you click and hold (to drag the selected items), you MUST move to the left or right. If you move up or down, it reverts to changing your selection. This bugs me.

That is flipping ANNOYING. I was HOPING that was a bug introduced and never fixed in Panther's Finder, but I see now that is an intentional "feature." I don't know if anyone else has noticed this...in Panther Finder, selecting things in List then dragging won't move, it will keep selecting, so it is sort of like that. I wonder if it's still like that in Tiger. Hopefully I'll have Tiger soon. Hopefully it's not like that or they will change it.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

That is flipping ANNOYING. I was HOPING that was a bug introduced and never fixed in Panther's Finder, but I see now that is an intentional "feature." I don't know if anyone else has noticed this...in Panther Finder, selecting things in List then dragging won't move, it will keep selecting, so it is sort of like that. I wonder if it's still like that in Tiger. Hopefully I'll have Tiger soon. Hopefully it's not like that or they will change it.

this was annoying to me to, but over time i've developed a quick swoop to the right and then up or down to move items. it's not really an issue any more.
  • Reply 9 of 90
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Hmmm, for some reason mine won't. I just blew away my preferences, re-launched, and it still won't.

If I type 'ebay', it becomes:

Code:

http://ebay/

and Safari just spins until it finally gives up and says it can't find it.

Strange.

Your problem is local. I am not a particular fan of URL autocompletion, but it seems to work OK in this case.
  • Reply 10 of 90
    Quote:

Okay, most of us have had a couple of days to play with Tiger. What are some of your pet peeves? Overall, Tiger is fantastic, but there are a few things that are driving me crazy:

1) In list views (particularly mail) after you have selected multiple items, if you click and hold (to drag the selected items), you MUST move to the left or right. If you move up or down, it reverts to changing your selection. This bugs me.

2) "mds" -- This process is used by spotlight, I believe to update the index (though not mdimport). This seems to run a couple of times a day on my machine (after the initial 3-4 hour indexing which is to be expected) taking up to 80% of the CPU.

3) H.264 -- Actually, it is great; however, my machine is over 3 years old (TiBook 667) and watching anything in this codec brings the machine to its knees. I have to put it at the smallest possible size (think postage-stamp sized QuickTime 1).

1. This is true, butlike osmeone else said, I just do a quick right-left first.

2. Not sure what you are talking about. I have not expierenced anything like this.

3. Wow, now thats strange. I have an iBook G4 1.2GHz 768MB RAM, and watched the Batman Begins trailer at full screen with (14", 1024), and whatever the height was. Fullscreen was 1280, so it went off the edge of my screen. It was crystal clear and ran great at full screen widge. I even had an installation for some program going. Must just be the 667, but didn't think it would make that big of difference unless you were encoding.

4. yep, just you. Works great hear.

Just wondering-what kind of installation did you do? I did a clean install, so i had my HDD totally wiped and reformated before I installed. If you did an Upgrade, it might be an issue with this.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    rok:

Quote:

well, maybe now it's doing what firefox et al. have done: basically, if you enter just "cnn," it doesn't assume you want cnn.com, and instead does an automatic google "i'm feeling lucky" search and returns the top link. great IF that's what you want...

typing 'cnn' in Firefox leads to www.cnn.com without any other action. I don't know where you got that automatic Google thing, but it's not correct.
  • Reply 12 of 90
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i live by that. i hope that's just a bug and they fix it. soon. before i get tiger...

Well lets think about this:

Spinning in Safari on this strikes me as an issue with Safari waiting for you to either cite an rss feed or a regular web page.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    1. I don't know what you mean about the list view quirk. I tried selecting multiple emails and dragged them and it behaved as expected.

Here's a new one to add to your list...

In the Finder when you hover the cursor over a column to resize it, the cursor doesn't change until you click. Try to change a column size in Mail and you'll see the cursor changes when you hover over it.
  • Reply 14 of 90
    My Safari crashes when I close a window or tab

Other than that, it's perfect.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Here's another: the Yellow Pages widget doesn't work with non-American addresses.
  • Reply 16 of 90
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Same machine with 764 mb of ram-- h.264 content *looks* fabulous but I can never get it to play without massive frame skipping.
  • Reply 17 of 90
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

Here's another: the Yellow Pages widget doesn't work with non-American addresses.

The weather widget also appears to be US only.

That really sucks, since it advertises its use of Accuweather, which does pretty much the whole world.

----------

Folders in the dock now accept drag and drop, but ARENT spring loaded. I mean, just how hard is it for Apple to go the extra step.

----------

Lots of apps are using the new toolbar layout, but only for their main window. As soon as you open up some sub windows you'll find that they tend to revert to the old style toolbar. Where is the QA team ???

• Reply 18 of 90
    bsodmikebsodmike Posts: 63member
    just 'bsodmike', 'cnn' and 'google' all work fine here, i.e. it resolves to www.whatever.com

strange!

Ahh yes, try this go to prefs, network. Under your interface add for DNS:

See if that helps it

Mike
  • Reply 19 of 90
    hitbyhitby Posts: 38member
    Am using the weather widget in the UK with no problems, typed in Middlesbrough and hit enter and it searched and came up with 'Middlesbrough, United Kingdom' Flipped the widget and all is well, I did notice though that if I didn't hit enter then it didn't change.

Hope this helps

Dan
  • Reply 20 of 90
    bsodmikebsodmike Posts: 63member
    Ya I had the same problem. If I had 'leeds' it gave wrong info. Need to hit enter for it to verify...lol