4 posts now. :-)
  • Reply 22 of 76
    bsodmikebsodmike Posts: 63member
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

That should help you uncover all you need
  • Reply 23 of 76
    sam_dlgsam_dlg Posts: 24member
    thanks for that.

I'm glad that it works better with windows now.

AND EVERYONE DON'T GET ME WRONG, I love apple's direction and their platform and the GUI. Just don't think this is that big of a release.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Being able to search for files in the save and open dialogue box is reason enough to upgrade.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    upgrade OS for a search utility?! Give me a break!

Maybe an upgrade to google's free search utility.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Apple has a page that contains 200 reasons to upgrade to Tiger. Each potential upgrader should look there and see what features are important and make their decision.

I'd really hate to see Tiger boil down to "search" when facts are it contains upgrades in almost all facets. I'm pretty freakin' impressed with the dictionary functionality.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    it's very cool how they did extend their "smart playlist" -like functionality found in iTunes to these searchable/savable folders.

So props on the searching. Just not reason alone to upgrade for the average consumer.
  • Reply 28 of 76
    Would anyone else agree that list of 200 features is about 65%+ padded?

dictionary? tell me more.
  • Reply 29 of 76
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sam_dlg

Just not reason alone to upgrade for the average consumer.

You will most likely be proved wrong when the sales numbers for Tiger are released.
  • Reply 30 of 76
    jedifunkjedifunk Posts: 18member
    what about the under the hood stuff, mister windows programmer? core image, core data, core video, core audio (was in panther). i would think that stuff would get your rocks off!

h.264, quartz composer, xcode 2, GCC 4...voice over, better system profiler, way improved mail app, automator, much improved security abilities.

i will give you that the 200+ statement is a bit padded, but there is a ton of stuff thats a huge improvement over panther.
  • Reply 31 of 76
    jedifunkjedifunk Posts: 18member
    the dictionary features are great too! i can see getting a lot of use out of it. the ability to get a definition of a word without leaving the app your in, and with a simple keyboard shortcut. pretty sweet.
  • Reply 32 of 76
    bsodmikebsodmike Posts: 63member
    I think apple should add a page to the Tiger page, going from 1 to 200, listing EACH addon, and links to more info. But hey, they prolly won't bother - there is a HUGE demand for Tiger as it is

Spotlight: What you guys are missing is that this isn't 'just' searching...not like searching on winblows or something. It looks inside your files!

Smart Folders: Wow! Now I'm not an iPhoto person so I have all my images in folders...now all I do here is say show me all images over x size or taken @ y focal length, aperture, shutter speed, et voila - it shows me all my pics

Another thing, the new finder FINALLY thumbnails ALL images correctly!

I've had a bit of instability with the slide show feature tho. Hope it gets addressed in the update.

Right now I'm staying away from spotlight, safari and smart folders as I think these areas need some serious 'fixing'...
  • Reply 33 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sam_dlg

Would anyone else agree that list of 200 features is about 65%+ padded?

dictionary? tell me more.

Will you please put all of this stuff into one post? We know that you are trying to get your post numbers up, but it's annoying to read one line after another.

You should read the reviews of 10.4 in some of the Pc publications, as well as those done in ARs and Anand. If you do, you will see that they reccomend it highly.

If you think that this is a minor upgrade then you haven't followed what is being said in those journals, as well as the professional ones such as Computerworld, Infoworld, E-Week, Forbes, etc.

Please read up before you post some more.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    As with every update the usefulness of the new software is judged by the needs it fulfills. When upgrading from jaguar to panther people noticed a bigger increase in features and functionality simply because jaguar lacked many features people needed. Tiger has more new features and all around more core changes than panther but many people do not need these features. Most were not craving spotlight, core image, core audio, a muli-threaded kernal, etc. Most people don't really know what these features represent or what their usefulness is. Therefore, the average user probably wont notice the new features in tiger like they did in panther.

Tiger is without a doubt the the biggest update to Mac OS X when you look at under the hood changes. I have not had any trouble with my install as of yet. There actually seems to be far less bugs than 10.3 had. All around I am rather pleases with tiger.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

***Cough***** BS ******Cough*****

I can't speak for running a business outside of the US but here in the states it can be a better strategy to sign up for the ADC. That's a business expense that can have portions written off on your taxes. If I was starting a biz around developing ADC and MSDN(if I was cross platform) would be the "first" thing I'd be investing in. This "I can't afford $500 for ADC" is total BS. To all ISV please let me know if this is true so I can dump your product like a sack of bricks. I'm not dealing with fly by night companies that don't invest.

Following the Apple Java mail list you would be surprised to see how many Java developers that aren't ADC members.

Yes, $500 isn't really that much, but somehow many have a hard time convincing their bosses.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Following the Apple Java mail list you would be surprised to see how many Java developers that aren't ADC members.

Yes, $500 isn't really that much, but somehow many have a hard time convincing their bosses.

That's very possibly true, but I think that it's mostly true of shareware and freeware (hobbiest) authors rather than professionals or companies who expect to make steady income of a volume that makes the $500 seem like nothing. It's the cost of a program.

I think that any company cheap enough to not be willing to pay $500, is too cheap to vet their software before they release it, and would probably be too cheap to have proper support.

It really is a small sum.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    When Apple make a GM they have to pause development for a month - testing it etc, that is why there is always an update soon after. It's been almost three weeks since the GM came out remember.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

When Apple make a GM they have to pause development for a month - testing it etc, that is why there is always an update soon after. It's been almost three weeks since the GM came out remember.

Sure, great. But it didn't have to go GM at that time. It could have gone GM whenever it was ready.

This is a pretty buggy release. It didn't have to be.

It's no excuse that there are always bugs. We all know that. When the development teams know that there are bugs that are going to cause immediate problems with the release, they are supposed to tell management that. Management is then supposed to allow them to fix those bugs.

Apple shouldn't be coming out with significant bug fixes two or three weeks after release.

The excuse for releasing this now according to some here was that it had to be out in time for the new pro apps being released at NAB. I didn't agree that it would be so important for that to happen.

Well, if it did happen, at least that could be used as an excuse.

But, as we now see, the pro apps need the .1 update anyway. Duh!
  • Reply 39 of 76
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Sure, great. But it didn't have to go GM at that time. It could have gone GM whenever it was ready.

This is a pretty buggy release. It didn't have to be.

It's no excuse that there are always bugs. We all know that. When the development teams know that there are bugs that are going to cause immediate problems with the release, they are supposed to tell management that. Management is then supposed to allow them to fix those bugs.

Apple shouldn't be coming out with significant bug fixes two or three weeks after release.

The excuse for releasing this now according to some here was that it had to be out in time for the new pro apps being released at NAB. I didn't agree that it would be so important for that to happen.

Well, if it did happen, at least that could be used as an excuse.

But, as we now see, the pro apps need the .1 update anyway. Duh!

The problem is people always wait for 10.X.2 till they upgrade - i haven't seen any major bugs - except Mail at the beginning with deleting mail and the iTunes widget.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

The problem is people always wait for 10.X.2 till they upgrade - i haven't seen any major bugs - except Mail at the beginning with deleting mail and the iTunes widget.

By the lines at the stores, and the fact that Amazon has yet to ship the copy I ordered on March 28th, I can't agree with that.

I have an extra machine to install it on (if it ever gets here). Most people who already bought it, installed it on their only machine.

Within the next three weeks, just about the time that 10.4.1 will hopefully come out, a million copies might have been sold or ordered.

Go to MacFixit and Macintouch to see some of the problems that are already cropping up.