Tiger: Most unstable OS X to date?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello guys!

I just shifted from Panther yesterday and the main reasons were:

a) Instability with the firewire kernel module, causing kernel panics..

b) Dashboard, so wanted it.

Panther was a great os, till about two months or so ago, my fault I guess. Did alot of stuff and it got quite sluggish.

Now Tiger is a whole different beast. Fast, sexy...until you find that it freezes.

This is the FIRST time any version of OS X has frozen my machine. This used to be a windows thing, kernel panics - yes, but when I say freeze I mean that I can move the mouse and if itunes is playing the music plays perfectly but it's dead. Won't eject, change brightness...nothing.

As for machines, I've been through:

15" 1Ghz Ti

15" Alu

12" Alu

1.6Ghz G5 (at home in Sri Lanka)

None have ever frozen on me this way...

This has happened three times for me. The first was during the 1st hr of installing, where I loaded up safari and dead. Second - can't remember what I did...and third, I made a smart folder and hit 'slide show'...screen went blank and dead.

My max uptime has been 10hrs and now I'm afraid to 'do' anything as know it'll just kill Tiger.

OHHH the worst thing? THERE IS NO LOG! No panic.log as there is no panic..lol and the system log doesn't show much at all!

This is insane.

Ohh yea, 1.8Ghz G5 (single), 2GB Crucial Ram, DiamondMax 16mb cache 300 and 250GB HDDs.

I performed a full hardware test when I got the g5 with the full 2GB of ram, passed. Panther gave me uptimes close to three weeks or more.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR APPLE!

You just shot your self in the foot. Doing exactly what M$ does, add more $hit and then make it unstable...GRRRR!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    bsodmikebsodmike Posts: 63member
    I just remembered what I did when it froze the second time. I went to the Apple HD Gallery.

How did I remember this? Cause it froze for the FOURTH time, 6hr uptime....

I went to the site and BAM...freeeeeeeeeze!...

Nothing in the console to explain this...

HELP!
  • Reply 2 of 58
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    How did you install Tiger?

Read this (and other articles there) and see if anything helps.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    Clean install off the disc. Also created a journaled FS.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Run the hardware test to see if there is some faulty component.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Already done that

What I did do right now was to verify the discs. Both needed 'minor' header file repair.

I've also stopped using Safari and swapped over to Firefox.

Will see how it goes.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bsodmike

Already done that

What I did do right now was to verify the discs. Both needed 'minor' header file repair.

I've also stopped using Safari and swapped over to Firefox.

Will see how it goes.

Welcome to the early adapters wows. I to had some crashes before I did a clean install, updating never works properly I don?t know why I even bothered. Safari is broken, to many problems to be used on a daily basis; Firefox is also my default browser until the time being. Other then that Tiger is running pretty good now, I recommend at least a gig of memory to really enjoy it properly.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    yes, memory is def. an issue here

I am sailing along using Tiger on my 17" 1.5ghz powerbook 1gig ram, and my wife is sluggish on her 1.7ghz powerbook with only 512mb of ram.

ordered some more memory for her PB. We shall see.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I did an upgrade on my PowerBook and an Archive/Install on my iMac G5 and haven't had any freezing problems on either.

Oh, I have 2GB in the iMac and stock 512MB in the PowerBook.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Firefox is also my default browser until the time being.

Hey dude, I'm wondering if Safari is the key to all these issues? Btw I have 2gig of ram...
  • Reply 10 of 58
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    What I don't understand is the part about disconnecting firewire drives, what if you want to install Tiger on a Firewire drive?
  • Reply 11 of 58
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

What I don't understand is the part about disconnecting firewire drives, what if you want to install Tiger on a Firewire drive?

Can't you just boot from your HD and direct your installation to the FW drive?
  • Reply 12 of 58
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Can't you just boot from your HD and direct your installation to the FW drive?

Yeah, that;s what I did - but they are recommending *disconnecting you FW drive during installation - but you can't do that if you want to install onto it.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Have you guys tried enabling fast user switching, have itunes play something groovy, and 'switch to the log in window' ?

Now in Panther, tunes wouldn't stop...but in Tiger - it does.

This makes sense in a multiuser env (i.e. if you have 3 users all leaving their itunes playing .... heh) but as my box is a single user system it was nice to have tunes keep playing.

Ohh well

Also - uptime of 3:31hrs... now let's see if I can break 12hrs...
  • Reply 14 of 58
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    The version of Tiger you're running right now is 10.4.0. See that? .0. There are going to be bugs in the first release of anything, so they shouldn't be a surprise and you have to be patient until Apple releases 10.4.1 soon.

edit: sorry, meant to quote the first guy
  • Reply 15 of 58
    Of course, I was ready for 'terrible' things when I swapped over to Tiger. Just that my Panther was kernel panicking when I used to many fw devices...and then Tiger was freezing.

Still apps crashing, not compatible no problem. But the whole system going 'dead'...now that's a fairly serious bug.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    OK, had my first problem today.

When I try to burn a burnable foldering on my iMac it gives me an error saying that my drive isn't supported.

I have a iMac G5 1.8GHz Superdrive and I did a clean install.

This is a BIG problem.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I've had my desktop system lock up on me once so far after updating with Tiger Friday night. I was just typing in iChat when my Mac froze solid -- the cursor wasn't moving, the keyboard wasn't responding. Only a forced power down worked.

Annoying as all hell? Yes. Surprising? Not terribly. This is the kind of thing that's hard to avoid in any point-zero release. I'd expect to wait until the 10.4.1 update (coming soon from what I hear) or 10.4.2 (probably not long thereafter) for things to really settle down.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

OK, had my first problem today.

When I try to burn a burnable foldering on my iMac it gives me an error saying that my drive isn't supported.

I have a iMac G5 1.8GHz Superdrive and I did a clean install.

This is a BIG problem.

Use Toast?
  • Reply 19 of 58
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bsodmike

Use Toast?

Haven't tried it.

But I'll have to if this continues.

URG! I hope it's not with everything (Toast, iTunes, etc)- 'cause that would be REALLY annoying!
  • Reply 20 of 58
    I never use OS X to burn discs other than DiskUtil for ISO's. Toast for everything else 'cept iTunes for audio CDs if the need arises - very very rare...

Still...I feel that Apple should have held off the release date and ironed out these issues.

Come on, these issues prevent core functionality of the OS. We aren't talking about something tiny - hell, can't burn discs, freezing...heck wasn't it Apple's tag line not so long ago 'the most stable OS X' or something? Ohh no, 'stability' of UNIX. ROFL...Unix is just fine, or Darwin in this case...

GRRR. I just feel this is bad business ethics. Ok, I'm gonna get flamed with the whole issue of when something is created it is never finished and they can't wait for fixes as it'll never be released BUT this is like a carpenter making a chair and not adding on 2 legs! Not like an artist having to frame his canvas for display...see the difference? Issues that affect CORE FUNCTIONALITY should have been addressed.

/me puts on a flame retardant suit and takes a seat, on the two legged chair ...d'oh!