OS "EX" review on G4TV.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just happened to catch the review of Tiger on G4 TV a while ago. They found some slack-jawed wimp to represent for Apple with Kevin P. representing for G4 TV.

In all of the 7 or so minute segment, The Tiger guy raved about how pretty and awesome the new OS is. Meanwhile Kevin kept calling it OS X (EX)... Hilarious. Kevin even stated that quote, "Mac users don't care about functionality, they only want it to look pretty...". Meanwhile, the slack jaw is going on about how Windows users never get the pretty stuff. Sheesh. Bring back Leo LaPort... Un-freakin-believable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    I should have posted in the Mac OS forum... Sorry guys.

Mods, can you move this over to the Mac OS forum please...
  • Reply 2 of 18
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    G4TechTV is ass. I don't watch it at all anymore. The only decent show is X-play, but since I'm not much of a gamer, I don't really care all that much.

Cinematech is neat too, because it's straightforward, no goofy hosts, and no download times to see the latest game trailers, but again, I'm not much of a gamer, so bleh.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Meanwhile Kevin kept calling it OS X (EX)... .

uh yes, that is how you pronounce the letter X. Some people call it "OS 10", others call it "OS X." Same as the whole Coke, soda, pop issue.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    G4TV is lame. even though they have some hot chick sometimes on ScreenSavers and Filter... ScreenSavers sucks... its too much all very "here's a million super geeky things i can do with windows so i am the best"

Cinematech is cool because yup, no ret*rd hosts, just game clips to keep in touch with what is going on.

*sigh* i'm just in a bad mood right now and wanted to jump on the G4tv bashing bandwagon for a while
  • Reply 5 of 18
    ipodandimac, um no. I'm fairly certain it should be pronounced OS TEN. Not OS EX (X). I once saw an interview with (of all people) Bill Gates in which he corrected the interviewer on the pronounciation of OS X.

The letter x and the Roman numeral ten are two entirely different things, yes?

I'm not trying to make a big thing out of this ipodandimac. I don't even own a Mac at the moment. It strikes me as a very curious situation that on a nationally televised cable show, a review of Mac OS would be hosted by Kevin Pereira. I recall when he started out on TechTV he was almost openly hostile towards all things Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

ipodandimac, um no. I'm fairly certain it should be pronounced OS TEN. Not OS EX (X). I once saw an interview with (of all people) Bill Gates in which he corrected the interviewer on the pronounciation of OS X.

I'm not trying to make a big thing out of this ipodandimac. I don't even own a Mac at the moment. It strikes me as a very curious situation that on a nationally televised cable show, a review of Mac OS would be hosted by Kevin Pereira. I recall when he started out on TechTV he was almost openly hostile towards all things Mac.

Absolutely true.

If you think otherwise, when was the last time you heard someone refer to an episode of Star Wars as "eye eye eye" or "eye vee"?

Anyone who's paying attention pronounces roman numerals as the number they represent. Anyone who doesn't is either ignorant or being deliberately snarky.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    i've honestly never given any thought to it until this thread. i don't wanna make it a big deal either. i guess the way i see it is no matter how it's pronounced, at least people are talking about it.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    hugihugi Posts: 33member
    Who. Cares.

Honestly, it's such a minor issue if it's "ex" or "ten".

• Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hugi

Who. Cares.

Honestly, it's such a minor issue if it's "ex" or "ten".

that's exactly what we just said.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    ^

Hugi, I would be willing to bet that S.Jobs and the entire Tiger development team probably care how folks pronounce OS X.

My original point was that G4TV's Kevin P. was purposly mispronouncing (even after being corrected by the Mac wimp...) it because he considers the Mac a "non-serious" platform or something... One would think that G4TV could at least get a "neutral" host to do the review. Guess not.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Must have been all that Apple stock that he picked up in the late 90's talking
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Kevin 'P' is one of the worst hosts i have ever seen. He will intentionally bash things thinking they are funny or to cause a stir. a real waste.

He happens to be one of thise people that make you an advocate for abortion.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Although the "X" is "OS X" is chiefly the Roman numeral ten, and I also agree that "Oh Ess Ten" is the most correct pronunciation, Apple intentionally invokes X as a letter as well, following the tradition of the final x in "Unix", which is also the final letter of many Unix and Unix-like derivatives (Ultrix, Linux, AIX, Irix, HP-UX, etc.).
  • Reply 14 of 18
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i still enjoy x-play, except that it airs while i am still at work (guess they moved it for the after-school crowd, i dunno). it's mildly disturbing, though, that every other commercial is from the army... "join the army. join the army. have you seen how cool the army is? you really shoudl join the army. everyone's joinging the army, byt he way..." and on and on and on... i know commercials can be repetitive, but within the same 30 minute program???

you have to wonder when they will just kill G4TechTV, unless Commcast (or whoever bought them) likes to just throw money out a window.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    WHEN YOU ALL SAY "THE MAC WIMP" who are you talking about? are you all calling Kevin Rose a wimp or was it someone else?

also - G4 FUCKED TechTv royaly - I say if you liked the old TSS, support leo's podcast, The Return of the Scr**nSav*rs/This Week In Tech here

They also have a sort of humorous (and shorter) url, twit.tv
  • Reply 16 of 18
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i still enjoy x-play, except that it airs while i am still at work

For the last time, it's TEN-play, dammit....
  • Reply 17 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

For the last time, it's TEN-play, dammit....

• Reply 18 of 18
    hugihugi Posts: 33member
    Ok, ok, I freely admit that I watch amazing amounts of ten-ten-ten videos.