iMac ship times delayed with new models in the pipeline

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

After seeing the powermac hiccup i think at best you will see a imac 2.0 and 9600. At worst would be more 1.8 and 9600 along with Tiger. Anyways neither machine advances much after a year. Hard to get excited about bumps that couldnt be smaller. fx5200-9600 is almost nil difference, a 200mhz bump on the 1.8 is nice but numbers wont show much. Again Apple should build a machine the consumer can configure.

I think the low end Powermacs are on par with the Imac and give consumers expandibility.

Since a lot of consumers don't really expand, the ones that do can take the plunge with a PM 1.8 or 2.0.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    After my trip to the University Village Apple store and subsequent tests on the iMac 1.8Ghz I definitely see that the iMacs need to go dual processor as soon as its affordable. The iMac with 512MB struggled on the HD video. At this point I'd take two 1.6Ghz chips rather than one 2Ghz.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:

At this point I'd take two 1.6Ghz chips rather than one 2Ghz.

Absolutely, but Apple won't go there because such a move would further eat into their margins on the low-end PowerMac. I'd love to see it, though. As you say, for HD it's a must.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

After my trip to the University Village Apple store and subsequent tests on the iMac 1.8Ghz I definitely see that the iMacs need to go dual processor as soon as its affordable. The iMac with 512MB struggled on the HD video. At this point I'd take two 1.6Ghz chips rather than one 2Ghz.

So at this point you'd recommend a 2.0 Ghz DP Powermac over a 20" Imac G5.

I am in the market for a new mac (first one) and that is where my decision lies right now. I don't do much expanding or video work however I am used to towers. However the design of the iMac is great (with its accompanying problems).

It is a tough choice though.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yvovandoorn

So at this point you'd recommend a 2.0 Ghz DP Powermac over a 20" Imac G5.

I am in the market for a new mac (first one) and that is where my decision lies right now. I don't do much expanding or video work however I am used to towers. However the design of the iMac is great (with its accompanying problems).

It is a tough choice though.

Yes it is a tough choice. I myself will likely still go with a n iMac G5 either this fall or early 2006(ugggh so far away). I'm not overly concerned about how well the iMac plays back HD content yet. I'm sure it'll be better with 1GB of RAM which is the minimum i'd have

I'd don't expect the iMac to move to dual-core until at least two revisions from know. Once the heat is under check and cost down. So i'm talking at least a year and more like 18 months.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

After my trip to the University Village Apple store and subsequent tests on the iMac 1.8Ghz I definitely see that the iMacs need to go dual processor as soon as its affordable.

I suppose you mean dual core . Given that Apple "waited" for the 970FX chip to let the iMac go G5, I would not expect a dual core G5 in a model with a display less than 23".
  • Reply 47 of 61
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Let's see how close I can come to predicting the specs of the new iMacs I expect to see in early May:

20-inch : 2GHz

$1,899.00

20-inch widescreen LCD

2GHz PowerPC G5

512K L2 cache

667MHz frontside bus

512MB DDR400 SDRAM

ATI Radeon 9600

128MB DDR video memory

160GB Serial ATA hard drive

16x slot-load SuperDrive (double-layer)

This is only a guess/wishful thinking. Maybe Tuesday? Wednesday?

Given the display price drops I think Apple could do those specs and a lower price as well. (I said they *could*, not that they *will* )
  • Reply 48 of 61
    berthosberthos Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Let's see how close I can come to predicting the specs of the new iMacs I expect to see in early May:

20-inch : 2GHz

$1,899.00

20-inch widescreen LCD

2GHz PowerPC G5

512K L2 cache

667MHz frontside bus

512MB DDR400 SDRAM

ATI Radeon 9600

128MB DDR video memory

160GB Serial ATA hard drive

16x slot-load SuperDrive (double-layer)

This is only a guess/wishful thinking. Maybe Tuesday? Wednesday?

Looks like a good prediction Rolo except for the frontside bus - that will be 1Ghz.

Berthos.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Berthos

Looks like a good prediction Rolo except for the frontside bus - that will be 1Ghz.

Berthos.

Well, not necessarily, like the current iMacs it might be a 1/3rd of the CPU speed, as opposed to the 1/2 that is present in the powermacs.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    berthosberthos Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Well, not necessarily, like the current iMacs it might be a 1/3rd of the CPU speed, as opposed to the 1/2 that is present in the powermacs.

Just my guess/dream too of course!
  • Reply 51 of 61
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You cannot take the low end tower as the limiter for the high-end iMac. Apple generally doesn't want customers in that price bracket buying their towers anyway. It's part and parcel of the basic assumptions underpinning AIO machines:

"You're cheap, you're dumb -- we don't want you opening up the machine and calling us with suspect warrantee claims."

If you have 1499-1999 to burn, Apple wants you to get an iMac, even for pro use. They give you the monitor, and take away most of your ability to mess up their machine."

Expect a 23" iMac eventually. Wouldn't be out of the question for the iMac to have more storage, a better optical, a faster CPU, and a better GPU than the base SP tower. That way, bargain hunters look at the iMac thus, "Do you really want expansion?" Any pro who forgoes the extras because they actually need the expansion is, therefore, less likely to mess it up. Those who don't absolutely need it (consumer or pro) are more likely to be swayed by the 'extras' on offer in the iMac.

AIO problems notwithstanding, that's the way Apple approaches this price segment.

AIO problems notwithstanding
  • Reply 52 of 61
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

If you have 1499-1999 to burn, Apple wants you to get an iMac, even for pro use. They give you the monitor, and take away most of your ability to mess up their machine."

well, they actually do want you to mess with your machine... more or less.

i opened up mine today, again, to show a friend how easy it is to get inside your iMac.

love it.

Quote:

AIO problems notwithstanding

do you mean the GPU? or is there something else that you consider a problem with the iMacG5?
  • Reply 53 of 61
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Headless moderately expandable/upgradable machines have the advantage of easier repair/modification if/when something goes wrong -- if you're a reasonably intelligent owner. Swapping ou a part can be a lot easier, as can adding updated I/O (best use for cards, AFAIC) However, even I have to admit that Apple has done an admirable job with user servicable internals on the iMac G5, at least for an AIO. No real 'expansion' or upgradability though.

The other problem is the cost of gluing a very expensive display to a computer. This problem will diminish as large panels continue their pricing freefall, but even they will only fall so far. When we're buying 23" LCD displays for $300, then it may not be so bad -- tossing the display with the computer every time you upgrade.

This last bit, I wonder. There's a real chance that the iMac could lose its head when it gets its next redesign. I fully expect this design to last at least another 2-3 years, but if the mini continues to be a steady sales leader 'till then, especially among converts, I imagine Apple will take a very serious look at a headless iMac design -- with complimentary, but seperate, consumer displays...
  • Reply 54 of 61
    fitzy55fitzy55 Posts: 22member
    I found this on macnn

----------------------------------------------------------

I was by the Apple store in Soho tonight just before they closed and saw that they were setting up a new window display. It featured 4 iMacs mounted in a horizontal row on a white plastic surface with the phrase "It all adds up" (or something close to that).

A new iMac window display seems to suggest new iMacs will finally come tomorrow. Anybody else see this?

Sound good people

Fitzy
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fitzy55

I found this on macnn

I was by the Apple store in Soho tonight just before they closed and saw that they were setting up a new window display. It featured 4 iMacs mounted in a horizontal row on a white plastic surface with the phrase "It all adds up" (or something close to that).

A new iMac window display seems to suggest new iMacs will finally come tomorrow. Anybody else see this?

Sound good people

Fitzy

I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy
  • Reply 56 of 61
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fitzy55

I found this on macnn

Sound good people

Fitzy

4?

17", 17". 20" & 23"?
  • Reply 57 of 61
    fitzy55fitzy55 Posts: 22member
    Yep that what he said 4!!!!!

i hope it is a 23 inch

Here the link if you want to check it out.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=254569

Fitzy
  • Reply 58 of 61
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I don't think the window display means anything. I was at the Chestnut Hill Mall in Newton, MA on Friday for the Tiger Launch, and I saw this display in their window too.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    bostongeekbostongeek Posts: 31member
    In fact, here is a pic from the Chestnut Hill mall on launch day. The Ad in question is on the right. Btw, I also saw another launch-day pic that had this same Ad, but I couldn't find it.

• Reply 60 of 61
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    OK, the new iMacs have been announced and I was REALLY close on the specs. I missed the price which is $100 lower, the HD size which is 250GB for the 20", and the optical is 8x DL instead of my hoped for 16x but the rest was right.

Also, Apple added gigabit Ethernet. Good job, Apple! All in all, this is a very nice upgrade!