iPod Not Charging on PC

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a second generation iPod that I recently bought off eBay, I finally got it formatted for Windows and now it works with iTunes and such. But whenever I plug it in to transfer songs, it doesn't charge, instead it uses at least 1/4 of my battery life to transfer music. It charged fine when I had it hooked up to my brother's desktop PC, but gets the life sucked out of it when it's hooked up to my laptop, any reason for this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    It won't charge from low power USB powers. Generally, it will work fine if you have USB 2.0, if not, you will need to get a mains charger. Mine charges fine from my laptop as I have USB 2.0, and even charges fine on another computer I have with USB v1.1 ports, but there are not many USB v1.1 ports that will charge it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    puhzpuhz Posts: 4member
    Well, I had to purchase a PCMCIA Firewire card so I could plug the iPod in because the second generation iPods don't support the dock. Does this have anything to do with USB 2.0 even though I'm not connected via USB?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    colby2000colby2000 Posts: 91member
    Quote:

Originally posted by puhz

Well, I had to purchase a PCMCIA Firewire card so I could plug the iPod in because the second generation iPods don't support the dock. Does this have anything to do with USB 2.0 even though I'm not connected via USB?

Short answer, No.

2G iPods can only use firewire, and to charge, it has to be a 6-pin connection. If it's one of those little ones (4-pin, like on a camcorder), it'll work, but it won't charge. 3G iPods are the same way.

iPod mini/4G/photo will charge over firewire (6-pin) or a high-powered USB (1.1 or 2.0) port.

iPod shuffle is USB charging only.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    It's a 10G touch wheel with a 6-pin firewire connection.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    colby2000colby2000 Posts: 91member
    Guess it depends on the power output of the Firewire port. Most built-in 6-pin FW connections should be fine, though I have seen issues where they don't put out enough juice (mostly on unpowered FW hubs though.)

?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    My card isn't built in though, it slides into the PCMCIA port. I had to buy it because I couldn't plug in my iPod any other way.