Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems

Comments

• Reply 21 of 185
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

HD video is there, just not 1080p. For this one we have to wait for the dual processor 23" iMac .

we also have to wait for actual 720p and 1080p content besides trailers
  • Reply 22 of 185
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 239member
    This is THE update I've been hoping and waiting for! When I get home tonight I'm ordering mine.
  • Reply 23 of 185
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    This is a terrible update. When will Apple give us a computer with memory that does not have to be updated immediately, a HD that is too small and a GPU that is not 2 years old?

I am going to go buy a Dell!

Sorry guys, but I had to do it. We love to complain about Apple but these iMacs rock. Great value and nice parts. TIme to replace my version 1 FP iMac. That actually makes me sad as we love that machine.
  • Reply 24 of 185
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

But built-in bluetooth 2.0 and airport is about time - what about PowerMacs?

I'm actually surprised to see AirPort standard on a desktop, but I suspect it's a nod to the number of consumers who now have wireless networks at home. Power Macs are an entirely different story; many companies would not WANT AirPort standard. We have a strict policy against setting up wireless hot spots tied to the network. Having AirPort in every box would give the IT department fits. (Not that that's a bad thing...)
  • Reply 25 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

I'm actually surprised to see AirPort standard on a desktop, but I suspect it's a nod to the number of consumers who now have wireless networks at home. Power Macs are an entirely different story; many companies would not WANT AirPort standard. We have a strict policy against setting up wireless hot spots tied to the network. Having AirPort in every box would give the IT department fits. (Not that that's a bad thing...)

yeah definitely with the PowerMacs airport extreme is only best for a smallish say 10+ studio

larger than that gigabit ethernet wired deployment is easier on the IT folks
  • Reply 26 of 185
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    A very solid update. The new graphics card is a great surprise, nice to see 128MB of Video Ram in there. 512MB standard, great stuff, plus up to 400GB in such a small machine, it's fantastic.
  • Reply 27 of 185
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I am so jealous. My iMac 20" rocks but these are THE MACHINES!!

Can Apple upgrade my video card to the new 9600 they are specing for the new ones??
  • Reply 28 of 185
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is a good, value update. I just hope that Apple will turn Quartz Extreme 2D on soon so that the new 9600 card can use it.
  • Reply 29 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I am so jealous. My iMac 20" rocks but these are THE MACHINES!!

Can Apple upgrade my video card to the new 9600 they are specing for the new ones??

Don't forget to overclock that 9600

http://thomas.perrier.name/software/ATIccelerator.html
  • Reply 30 of 185
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    *Resounding applause*

I am just floored by this update! Looks like TS got it on the nose. I was sort of expecting this update, but still ... the standard Bluetooth 2.0 and APE make this thing even sweeter. I did my own price-out on the middle of the line model. Stuck 1GB in 1 DIMM and added wireless mouse and keyboard with AppleCare ... I too saw a $300 price cut in what I had been expecting to pay!!! I really just can't believe Apple ... wow ... good job marketing team ... good job ... and the $100 printer rebate! To hell with it ... I LOVE my iMac G4, but it's gotta go ... I have to have this beautiful, sexy machine.

Thank you Steve, thank you Apple ... you have completely restored my faith ... don't drop the ball ont his one though! I still wanna see a Mac crack 3GHz this by the fall!!! <Glares at screen hoping Steve feels a cold chill run up his spine and will kick IBM in the ass...>
  • Reply 31 of 185
    power applepower apple Posts: 335member
    WOW, these updates absolutely ROCKS!!! Bravo, Apple! This is the perfect switcher/adder/halo-effect machine. Excellent!

(However, I'm still happy with my Power Mac dual 2 GHz + 20" cinema display order - I'll benefit from the extra power and expansion for my work)
  • Reply 32 of 185
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

This is a superb update BUT the graphics card still will not support an external monitor as well. But built-in bluetooth 2.0 and airport is about time - what about PowerMacs? And 512MB RAM is brilliant. This is a strong update even though the processor has only been bumped a small amount. Is there anything missing apart from dual monitor support (oh and HD-DVD!)?

Firewire 800
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

...a total of five USB ports (three USB 2.0) and two FireWire(R) 400 ports...

Since when is Firewire a USB technology? eh?
  • Reply 33 of 185
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Nice update, might be the machine that finally gets me to get back into Macs.

The GPU is a little disappointing still, I was hoping for a 9800 Pro at least, but then I guess you go into Macs knowing they're not meant for games. And the 9600 should be fine for Photoshop and Maya.

This is certainly the best Apple for a good while. Nice job, Mr.Jobbs.
  • Reply 34 of 185
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Well they could build-to-order it without - surely most don;t buy off the shelf - consumers want it!

And as someone else said FireWire 800 is the only thing missing!
  • Reply 35 of 185
    Terrific update. I'm juiced about the new graphics card...

Every CPU from Apple now shipping with Tiger as well...
  • Reply 36 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted

...a total of five USB ports (three USB 2.0) and two FireWire(R) 400 ports...

Since when is Firewire a USB technology? eh?

i think 5 USB ports, of which 3 are USB 2.0, and also two firewire ports.
  • Reply 37 of 185
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    This is an amazing update. I now hate my Powerbook.
  • Reply 38 of 185
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

yeah definitely with the PowerMacs airport extreme is only best for a smallish say 10+ studio

larger than that gigabit ethernet wired deployment is easier on the IT folks

If you are using a powermac for serious media work, you NEED gigabit ethernet, you dont want wifi no matter how small the studio 1,000Mbps is WAY better than 54Mbps.
  • Reply 39 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If you are using a powermac for serious media work, you NEED gigabit ethernet, you dont want wifi no matter how small the studio 1,000Mbps is WAY better than 54Mbps.

yup good point mate.
  • Reply 40 of 185
    bitmatbitmat Posts: 3member
    So is the graphics a 9600 PRO or XT?

I've been waiting for this for what seems like ages. Been using my girlfriends iBook to play World of Warcraft and didn't want to buy a revision 1 G5 iMac with the Nvidia 5200.