Cool things found in Tiger

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

Is it just me, or did they switch how Get Info works when multiple items are selected in the Finder?

I think in Panther it brought up 1 unified window, now it brings up 1 window for each item unless you hold down the option key.

Oh...Option! Thanks!

I was going INSANE.

But wait! There's not way to assign the same Spotlight "Comments" to multiple items via one window? Argh.

I made an Automator script that does it but still...

How are you *officially* supposed to add keywords to multiple files? (I suppose I'll crank open Mac Help...)
  • Reply 42 of 114
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    re: ripples and such, i am quite sure we will eventually see every transition worked into every corner of the os from apple's other apps like motion. keynote started it, and i am sure you se things like a cube transition of widgets, maybe the burn and flash transitions. not sure why they don't use some of those transitions in other places, like the dock. i just kinda wish they made the animation a bit quicker. the ripple is cool, just speed it up a tad.
  • Reply 43 of 114
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    The various Get Infos:

Command-I = Get Info - opens individual windows for multiple items

Option-Command-I = Show Inspector - shows ones window for current selection whether 1 or more files

Control-Command-I = Get Summary Info - opens one window for multiple items
  • Reply 44 of 114
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Hold down the option key while mousing over a widget, and you get the close X at the top left.
  • Reply 45 of 114
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Option-Command-I = Show Inspector - shows ones window for current selection whether 1 or more files

Okay, that makes entering in Spotlight Comments much easier, THANKS.

Still though, is there no way to select a bunch of items and enter in Spotlight Comments in one swoop, similar to changing ID3 info in iTunes across multiple songs? (Without resorting to an Automator script).
  • Reply 46 of 114
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

That's not the ripple, apple's quicktime movie will show it (while adding a widget):

http://www.apple.com/macosx/theater/dashboard.html

I wonder what happens if you type "Freedom Fries" into the translator.
  • Reply 47 of 114
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arty50

I wonder what happens if you type "Freedom Fries" into the translator.

fritures de liberté - just for the record!
  • Reply 48 of 114
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    for better or for worse, Safari RSS prints and URL, Title, and other info on printouts
  • Reply 49 of 114
    colby2000colby2000 Posts: 91member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

for better or for worse, Safari RSS prints and URL, Title, and other info on printouts

You can turn that off in the print settings.

file>print> click the drop down that says "copies & pages" and select "safari" > uncheck the "headers and footers" check box
  • Reply 50 of 114
    Question on Downloaded Widgets.

I can successfully download the zip files and can successfully unzip and begin to use new widgets, but I can't get the new widgets into the Dashboard.

Anyone know how to do?
  • Reply 51 of 114
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomster1300

Question on Downloaded Widgets.

I can successfully download the zip files and can successfully unzip and begin to use new widgets, but I can't get the new widgets into the Dashboard.

Anyone know how to do?

They have to be in the folder ~/Library/Widgets (or /Library/Widgets if you want all users to have them). All widgets there are opened when Dashboard kicks in.

Safari will put them there automatically upon download if you have "Open 'Safe' Files After Download" checked in Safari general Preferences.
  • Reply 52 of 114
    digitaldavedigitaldave Posts: 445member
    Smart Folders...

They have quite a lot of different criteria you can use for selecting, including some photographer friendly ones like aperture, exposure time (shutter speed), focal length, even red eye! So I could easily find all the pictures where the focal length is greater than 300mm, or aperture is less than f4, for example.

One problem though - some of the options only have 'greater than' or 'less than' options, no 'equal to' .

Still, it's a promising start IMO.
  • Reply 53 of 114
    blipblip Posts: 23member
    About the control-apple-d dictionary and scrubbing...that's great! I'm just wondering/hoping that there will be more dictionaries in the future ie. japanese and whatever. I'm currently using Live Dictionary for picking out japanese words I sometimes don't understand in articles etc.

Problem is Live Dictionary isn't nearly as responsive as apples dictionary and more importantly it can't be used outside of Safari neither is it linked to a "mother-program", ie the stand alone dictionary app. Does anyone think it'll be possible to do/find (or buy, for that matter) plug-ins/add-ons for thedictionary in the future? Or is a closed system, so to speak?
  • Reply 54 of 114
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blip

About the control-apple-d dictionary and scrubbing...that's great! I'm just wondering/hoping that there will be more dictionaries in the future ie. japanese and whatever. I'm currently using Live Dictionary for picking out japanese words I sometimes don't understand in articles etc.

Problem is Live Dictionary isn't nearly as responsive as apples dictionary and more importantly it can't be used outside of Safari neither is it linked to a "mother-program", ie the stand alone dictionary app. Does anyone think it'll be possible to do/find (or buy, for that matter) plug-ins/add-ons for thedictionary in the future? Or is a closed system, so to speak?

i hope so. I want a british english dictionary, also that translator is not very quick!
  • Reply 55 of 114
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    This isn't new but it's still cool:

Shift - Control to minimise a window in slomo

Shift F12 - slow Dashboard
  • Reply 56 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

They have to be in the folder ~/Library/Widgets (or /Library/Widgets if you want all users to have them). All widgets there are opened when Dashboard kicks in.

Safari will put them there automatically upon download if you have "Open 'Safe' Files After Download" checked in Safari general Preferences.

Thanks for the help, Lundy. I can't try out your solution just yet as the Powerbook is at home and I'm stuck at work with this Dell POS.

As far as automatically having Safari place downloaded files in the correct spot, does this hold true if I'm using Speed Download 3?
  • Reply 57 of 114
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    anyone know how to remove a widget from the dahsboard drawer? i got a widget i don't really like after using it. the standard dock-esque "drag out and drop to discard" just drags out the widget again. i don't have tiger in front of me today to try out other techniques.
  • Reply 58 of 114
    produktprodukt Posts: 21member
    ^ i think you just go to /library/widgets and just trash em
  • Reply 59 of 114
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Oh...Option! Thanks!

I was going INSANE.

But wait! There's not way to assign the same Spotlight "Comments" to multiple items via one window? Argh.

I made an Automator script that does it but still...

How are you *officially* supposed to add keywords to multiple files? (I suppose I'll crank open Mac Help...)

There is an Apple supplied Automator script for this.

With Automator open click on Spotlight. Select the "Add Spotlight Comments to Finder Items" script.

Drag a folder into the workspace. Then select the above script. Hit run. This will add your comments to the Folder. If you want them added to each individual file within the folder, you have to select the files and drag them into the workspace then select the script and run.

It would be nice if someone could amend this script so that just by dragging in a folder it would add the comments to the files in that folder.
  • Reply 60 of 114
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

re: ripples and such, i am quite sure we will eventually see every transition worked into every corner of the os from apple's other apps like motion. keynote started it, and i am sure you se things like a cube transition of widgets, maybe the burn and flash transitions. not sure why they don't use some of those transitions in other places, like the dock. i just kinda wish they made the animation a bit quicker. the ripple is cool, just speed it up a tad.

You are right. In mail, if you select add attached photos to iphoto, the genie effect sucks the photo into the iPhoto icon.