ThinkSecret ThinkReliable

thttht
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
ThinkSecret, the teenager and sources, are good. They have have my respect. Wouldn't want to be them right now, but they have my respect in the anti-hero sort of way.

[edit: grammer moment]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I agree. I was very skeptical about the Powermac specs they had I even doubt their motives but i take my hat off. they were right. The powermac upgrade is a joke.

Now, i wish the new imac would support dual monitors. i would buy one in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

Now, i wish the new imac would support dual monitors. i would buy one in a heartbeat.

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
  • Reply 3 of 69
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Not have they potentially ruined their own lives, but they have also put in jeoprady the livelyhoods of their sources. TS should have taken better steps to protect their identities. Nice job Nick - your gonna take down everyone with you.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Thanks for the tip.

have you use this patch?
  • Reply 5 of 69
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    I use the patch to drive a dell 20 widescreen with my ibook 12". I get dual monitor suport, works perfectly except.... It breaks under tiger without alot of workarounds... =(
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

Thanks for the tip.

have you use this patch?

Only on iBooks. It will probably need an update before it works on new iMacs.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

I use the patch to drive a dell 20 widescreen with my ibook 12". I get dual monitor suport, works perfectly except.... It breaks under tiger without alot of workarounds... =(

Even with the update?
  • Reply 8 of 69
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I can see why Apple does not want information leaked, but doesn't sites like Thinksecret create buzz and excitement in the mac world as well? I check these sites regularly, and I think the rumors are part of the reason my passion remains at a high l level. That passion makes me more likely to buy macs and other Apple products.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    stustanleystustanley Posts: 236member
    it could just all be part of some big publicity ploy by apple!
  • Reply 10 of 69
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I hate to admit it, but TS has been right on with the specs. I still don't approve of the specs they are on with though. They suck!
  • Reply 11 of 69
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Not have they potentially ruined their own lives, but they have also put in jeoprady the livelyhoods of their sources. TS should have taken better steps to protect their identities. Nice job Nick - your gonna take down everyone with you.

Well TS's sources knew exactly what they were getting into, so they have only themselves to blame. As does Nick. They all knew the risks before taking them. And the worst that can happen is they lose their jobs and maybe owe Apple some cash. It's not as if Jobs will send a few thugs out to cut out their tongues and chop off their fingers.

I can understand Apple's desire to keep new products secret; after watching sales plummet with leaked new product specs time after time, Jobs et. al. must have gotten desperate. From here it seems like a better plan would be to update hardware more often so that people don't wait on new products. If there were three or four incremental iMac updates per year, there would be no point in waiting for the next update, but when Apple sits on a product for a whole year and then issues a major update, there's ample incentive for buyers to wait. I'm sure some bean counter at Apple tried to calculate the cost of frequent updates vs. the cost of secrecy, but then who knows.

I also suspect that sales wouldn't fall off so badly prior to updates if Apple's hardware was up to snuff. Lately it seems like everyone is holding off on Powermac purchases if they have the choice, but would it be like this if Powermacs currently buried Wintels? If Powermac G5s had really reached 3 GHz in a year, would sales be in such a slump?

There are so many factors that contribute to the sales slumps Apple experiences at the end of product cycles, and rumors are only a small cause of this. Most Mac users don't visit rumor sites or investigate the next big thing; they rely on geeks like us to tell them what's up. Tight security on Apple's part isn't going to change the fact that Powermacs need an update, that the Powerbook is anemic relative to Wintel laptops, or that the iMac and Mini aren't upgradable or expandable.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 643member
    Actually I think that Apple doesn't mind if rumor-sites report about new revisions of powermacs or imacs, and I actually think that Jobs authorized those leaks in order to use it as free advertising and hype-creation.

A whole other thing would be if information were leaked about whole new products, like a tablet-mac or a reborn-newton or a whole new powermac-G6 with a new design, etc.., then Jobs would get really angry, oops, got to run....

Nightcrawler
  • Reply 13 of 69
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nightcrawler

Actually I think that Apple doesn't mind if rumor-sites report about new revisions of powermacs or imacs, and I actually think that Jobs authorized those leaks in order to use it as free advertising and hype-creation.

A whole other thing would be if information were leaked about whole new products, like a tablet-mac or a reborn-newton or a whole new powermac-G6 with a new design, etc.., then Jobs would get really angry, oops, got to run....

Nightcrawler

I agree. iMac G5/PowerMac G5 updates arn't hugely secret or anything. Apple gets free advirtisting from excitement and suprise. Excitement and hype from anticipated products or updates, and suprise advirtisment from new product releases
  • Reply 14 of 69
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Well TS's sources knew exactly what they were getting into, so they have only themselves to blame. As does Nick. They all knew the risks before taking them. And the worst that can happen is they lose their jobs and maybe owe Apple some cash.

Well, what the worst is depends on how public their names get. If the leakers become notorious, ie, they are widely known as leakers, I don't see them getting another job in the industry. Who would want to hire a person who's been known to break the terms of their contracts?

Quote:

From here it seems like a better plan would be to update hardware more often so that people don't wait on new products. If there were three or four incremental iMac updates per year, there would be no point in waiting for the next update, but when Apple sits on a product for a whole year and then issues a major update, there's ample incentive for buyers to wait. I'm sure some bean counter at Apple tried to calculate the cost of frequent updates vs. the cost of secrecy, but then who knows.

I'm sure the bean counters did those trades. Frequent updates could mean lots of inventory, and selling past models at discounts. Apple just isn't that good at just-in-time manufacturing to keep their inventories down.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I think it is quite well established that TS is the best rumour site out there.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Well TS's sources knew exactly what they were getting into, so they have only themselves to blame. As does Nick.

I completely agree, but Nick stated quite clearly - "Send your dirt anonymously" it seems that wasn't the case.

It seems Apple is winning the war on rumours gradually though - it's at the point where people don't know what to believe, even coming from TS. And details have been more scarce than ever.

They REALLY blew the NAB predictions, wrong date - wrong types of processors - they were like chickens running around with no heads.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Well, what the worst is depends on how public their names get. If the leakers become notorious, ie, they are widely known as leakers, I don't see them getting another job in the industry. Who would want to hire a person who's been known to break the terms of their contracts?

Quite right, but that's not such a horrible fate. Apple isn't the mob, they aren't going to go after the families of NDA-breakers.

Quote:

I completely agree, but Nick stated quite clearly - "Send your dirt anonymously" it seems that wasn't the case.

Yeah, I guess it's those prosecuting attorneys who lean in close to Nick and threaten him with stiff penalties if he doesn't rat out his sources. Unfortunate, but nothing new. DEA agents have been doing this for decades.

Personally I think all this secrecy on Apple's part is a bit silly, but even so the laws still apply to me. And that's part of what makes Apple rumor-mongering so exciting, isn't it? That element of danger, of knowing that someone is risking their job and livelihood to spill the beans, is intoxicating. It's what sets this apart from ogling grainy photos of Brad and Jenny on a secret tryst.

• Reply 18 of 69
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Quite right, but that's not such a horrible fate. Apple isn't the mob, they aren't going to go after the families of NDA-breakers.

Yep, that act is reserved for David Stern, apparently.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I really don't care about Apple's trade secrets. Protection of said secrets is wholly the responsibiliy of Apple. Apple has leaks they cannot trust and thus the problem is internal.

I do believe Journalists(yes I consider TS a journalistic site) have the right to expose any information they get provided they offer their sources no compensation of any value.

If the Apple NDA breakers spill the beans for "free" then I have no problem with that. Some of our biggest scandals are uncovered by someone spilling the beans.

Apple isn't appreciably being hurt by TS. Their stock shows no real fluction based on TS reports so this is a non factor and my rights to free speech usurp any right Apple has to request government help to fix their leaky security.

The balance must exist between Apple's desire to be secret and our natural desire to have the "scoop".

I've stopped support Apple's legal motives. In the last few years they've done their own dirt by stealing Eminems song to sell iPods, taking Tibco's "Rendezvous" trademark and Systemax's "Tiger" trademark.

I could be an apologist and take Apple's side but in the last few years we've seen Apple break more than a few agreements(Apple Records) and starve their channel in lieu of pushing Apple Stores.

Thinksecret must survive not for them but because information should be free as in beer to a certain extent. I don't want to leave this country to my son as an multi tiered oligarchy based on Federal, State and Fortune 500 companies. That's far too much bureacracy.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    hmurchison, I'm not going to get into this, but I just want you to know I disagree with everything you just said.