This cooler in a g5 powerbook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I don't think it will help; you can get the heat out of the chip but you still can't get the heat out of the PowerBook.

(BTW, I thought that name sounded familar... that company spun out of my lab.)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    It may be ok for a desktop replacement laptop like the 12lb+ hulks in the Wintel world, but Apple's pro line is thin and light. Plus the battery life is already an issue, so that would put even more demand on the already strained lifeline. And more to the point, the heat from the G5 is one thing, but add in the heat from the Elastic IO bus and chipsets, and this thing doesn't really address that.

I think Apple may be at a point where they just cannot shoehorn a G5 in a laptop. Obviously they've been experimenting with it since last summer, but alas, nothing has come of it. WWDC will be the tell all - if they are not updated (remember, last update was Jan 31, 2005), Apple will take a serious hit in the pro line. Power Mac sales are down, PowerBook sales are slowing and without a marked improvement in the line, Apple may in for a long dry spell from the pro hardware sales. Good thing they have the consumer stuff doing so well (iPod/iTunes/et al).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    I don't understand why Apple doesn't just offer a portable desktop for those who want a G5 laptop no matter what. Pair a 20" display with a 970fx and power it all with a big honkin' battery, then market it as a mobile workstation, and keep the Powerbook line as is. Would that be so bad?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

I don't understand why Apple doesn't just offer a portable desktop for those who want a G5 laptop no matter what. Pair a 20" display with a 970fx and power it all with a big honkin' battery, then market it as a mobile workstation, and keep the Powerbook line as is. Would that be so bad?

You mean like the desktop replacements in the Wintel world? Well, I think 20" is way too big. If you want something that large, get an external display. I guess it could happen, but this would become the PowerBook lineup then. iBook=consumer, PowerBook=pro. Let's keep it that way. Remodel the iBook into what the PowerBook is today, and call it a day. I can buy that.

But it really sucks carrying around a 12-15lb beastie every single day. The neck and shoulder strain would suck. I took one home for a couple of nights and it was horrible. I really don't see Apple going down that road. Hopefully, this mythical 970gx can solve some of these issues. <Praying to God>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mattyqpmattyqp Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

I can see the appeal. I'd consider buying one; however, expect for the battery, you are describing an iMac G5.