Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems

Comments

• Reply 101 of 185
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yvovandoorn

My PC has 8 USB ports and I use all of them.

[/B]

From what I've seen many times on PC's all those USB ports are running on the same bus, that's definitely the case on low cost Dell's. Plugging in all those periphreals you are really slowing everything down.
  • Reply 102 of 185
    berthosberthos Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

I'm honestly curious, have you ever seen a PC with 4+ USB ports, all of which were full? I work at MIT, and I've never seen it. Also, what prevents that rare USB-device-freak from using one of the USB 2.0 ports to plug in a 4, 8, 12 port USB 1.1 hub?

I've actually got a PC with 4 USB ports. None of which are being used. I use the PC as an internet gateway, NAT router, proxy server, firewall for my home network of 3 iMacs and a PowerBook. It works really well for this job. I used to use in in my Internet Cafe with a network of six iMacs hanging off it.

I got the local PC shop to assemble it for me so it's not a brand name PC. I think the motherboard is made by Intel.

Berthos.
  • Reply 103 of 185
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

here's an idea for some enterprising plasticsmith, or griffin or whomever...

make an acrylic carrying case, that gives a fold-up tray for the keyboard to be carried in (when the tray is up, it would protect the screen from damage - intergrate a small trackball in the tray, too, or trackpad), a flip-out stand in the back, and a handle on the top. sure, it'll be kinda like a white-plastic briefcase, but it'll be the closest to a 2GHz G5 "Powerbook" we may see for a while.

dude, so yeah, what if it had a nice retractable powercable built into the case...

AND what if the keyboard was built into the case to...

imagine..

rock up to a desk/ coffee shop with your iMac G5 ToGo. Open up the case, keyboard (bluetooth of course) folds out. rest of case protects iMac from stray objects and liquids without detracting from it's beauty. pull out the retractable cord, plug it in, voila.

f8cking sweet mate

edit: yeah the keyboard has a two-button trackpad as well
  • Reply 104 of 185
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    I got my 17" 1.8 GHz iMac back in November and now I feel like I've been ripped off. When I ordered my unit, I added the extra RAM to bring it up to 512 MB and I added the internal AP as well as BT. The total came to over $2000 as compared to today's price of about $1100. A lot of owners of Rev a iMacs are going to be mad about this. My machine lost 50% of its value in just 6 months.
  • Reply 105 of 185
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chipz

I got my 17" 1.8 GHz iMac back in November and now I feel like I've been ripped off. When I ordered my unit, I added the extra RAM to bring it up to 512 MB and I added the internal AP as well as BT. The total came to over $2000 as compared to today's price of about $1100. A lot of owners of Rev a iMacs are going to be mad about this. My machine lost 50% of its value in just 6 months.

I take it you bought Apple RAM, and that you're quoting education pricing? Sorry to hear the sad tale, but upgrades are always going to come along and this one is a good one; something lots of people on the fence have been waiting for.
  • Reply 106 of 185
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

<off-topic>That would really PO a lot of people who are buying current models now, unless it's some kind of new super-pro line that's more expensive than current models.</off-topic>

That would be the most ridiculous reason for NOT producing a real update to the PMac line if it were ready. Would people be PO'd? Yes. But we were already PO'd with last week's 'update', a lame-ass update after 11 months of nothing. So, what, we need to wait another 11 months just to get what should have been done by now (and, no, I'm not talking about stupid-ass 3GHz, I'm talking improvements on a grander scale - first and foremost would be PCIe, followed by improvements to the case/cooling to actually allow more than the 2 HDs, one optical internals, followed by other improvements). How PO'd would you be as both an Apple user and an Apple stockholder to know Apple was holding back obvious improvements to one of their more critical lines (it offers their biggest margins) just so they don't PO the six people who bought the current line?

Oh, and swapping out USB devices is a stupid idea, esp. since Apple keeps them all on the back of the iMac. But that's apple, let's not make it user-friendly, let's worry whether the aesthetics are ruined or not.
  • Reply 107 of 185
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

From what I've seen many times on PC's all those USB ports are running on the same bus, that's definitely the case on low cost Dell's. Plugging in all those periphreals you are really slowing everything down.

That's not the point. Beside most of those devices won't be used at the same time.

Also it would be two busses at worst.
  • Reply 108 of 185
    Quote:

Yes, you must have used Apple RAM. That's only for people who are afraid to open their machines and want to know that it will work for sure and be guaranteed by Apple (or whichever manufacturer it is).

It's $1300, not $1100.

You have no right to be mad. This happens in the PC world all the time. Todays $2,000 machine is next years $1,000 machine. you were just unlucky to have waited until it's life was almost over.

Next time don't wait so long, and you will more time before that happens.
  • Reply 109 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

I want to buy the new iMac 20" 2GHz. Has anyone seen any interesting mods to avoid all that white plastic look?

Shag pile carpet makes for a very groovy looking iMac baby
  • Reply 110 of 185
    nib23nib23 Posts: 2member
    Quote:

I feel your pain. I bought my Imac in March and I wept openly today after seeing this.
  • Reply 111 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

That would be the most ridiculous reason for NOT producing a real update to the PMac line if it were ready. Would people be PO'd? Yes. But we were already PO'd with last week's 'update', a lame-ass update after 11 months of nothing. So, what, we need to wait another 11 months just to get what should have been done by now (and, no, I'm not talking about stupid-ass 3GHz, I'm talking improvements on a grander scale - first and foremost would be PCIe, followed by improvements to the case/cooling to actually allow more than the 2 HDs, one optical internals, followed by other improvements). How PO'd would you be as both an Apple user and an Apple stockholder to know Apple was holding back obvious improvements to one of their more critical lines (it offers their biggest margins) just so they don't PO the six people who bought the current line?

Oh, and swapping out USB devices is a stupid idea, esp. since Apple keeps them all on the back of the iMac. But that's apple, let's not make it user-friendly, let's worry whether the aesthetics are ruined or not.

The Powermacs do have a USB, a Firewire, and a headphone port on the front though.

I don't expect to see anything regarding them in June. August-September would be about right. That would give five months after this update, and five months before the January MacWorld.
  • Reply 112 of 185
    carson o'geniccarson o'genic Posts: 1,279member
    Quote:

Apple just can't win. The boards are full of pwoplw complaining how little Apple is updating its products and then when it does some people complain that they feel ripped off. Jeez

Be happy with your Mac, if you can't be then you shuldn't be buying electronic equipment.
  • Reply 113 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

That may the case with a cheap dell but according to the device manager I have 5 host controllers.

Even then, unless I am using all devices at once (especially the intensive ones such as photo printer, scanner & external hard drive) it won't slow down the average user. And even if I were using all 8 devices concurrently, Windows would just crash.
  • Reply 114 of 185
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

That would be the most ridiculous reason for NOT producing a real update to the PMac line if it were ready. Would people be PO'd? <snip>How PO'd would you be as both an Apple user and an Apple stockholder to know Apple was holding back obvious improvements to one of their more critical lines (it offers their biggest margins) just so they don't PO the six people who bought the current line?

<off-topic again>Um, I'm just saying Apple shouldn't upgrade the Power Macs at all, just to tease people into buying $2000+ machines, and then release another upgrade in six weeks. That would be very unfair. Remember the IIvx? In other words, release nothing new unless you intend to stick with it for awhile.

Personally, I don't buy Power Macs anymore. I think they're too expensive.</off-topic>
  • Reply 115 of 185
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I just checked profiler on all four Powermacs here at home, and it doesn't indicate much either. But there two separate busses for Firewire.

My Firewire cards also have separate busses, but it doesn't indicate that either.

Profiler is not known for it's accuracy.

Are you sure they are on separate busses? I've been searching Apples site and I can't find any place that tells one way or the other. If they are separate the new iMac will make a very nice recording station, but if they are sharing bandwidth it just won't do the trick (I need to run a firewire drive off one, and the the A/D converters off the other one).
  • Reply 116 of 185
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

If they are continually being plugged in and out of then you're lucky, as I've said.

Most people, including myself, would prefer to leave everything plugged in, if possible, especially with these plugs in the rear.

Okay, guess I have to keep my USB flash drive plugged into my Mac at home and never take it anywhere. Thanks for letting me know, it's real useful.

After all, USB was designed to be hot-pluggable specifically so that people would be sure never to unplug anything from their computer.
  • Reply 117 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

Okay, guess I have to keep my USB flash drive plugged into my Mac at home and never take it anywhere. Thanks for letting me know, it's real useful.

After all, USB was designed to be hot-pluggable specifically so that people would be sure never to unplug anything from their computer.

I'm sorry friend, but these aren't my specs. Take it up with Intel. They designed it. If you have access to the parts catalogs you will see the same thing that I do.

What I advise people to do is to plug a short cable into the machine that has a female end. Then plug your USB drive into that. Don't insert in and out directly from the machine, but rather the cable instead.

Remember that when Intel invented USB almost 15 years ago, the idea of portable USB drives weren't even a gleam in their eye. A Meg of flash cost over $1,000 bucks.

At the time USB was intended for the same devices that the keyboard connector was intended for, as well as taking the place of slow SCSI devices (not drives). Keyboards, mice, game controllers, drawing tablets, slow printers, and cheap scanners. It wasn't intended for continual plug-in and plug-out.

Some of the uses changes, esp. with Hi-Speed. But the mechanical specs haven't changed as much. some of the first USB plugs and sockets were rated for <25> insertions.

An example is PCI. The slots, in many cases are only rated for <10> insertions. It seems like a lot, but some people replace boards more frequently than that.
  • Reply 118 of 185
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

I'm sorry friend, but these aren't my specs. Take it up with Intel. They designed it. If you have access to the parts catalogs you will see the same thing that I do.

What I advise people to do is to plug a short cable into the machine that has a female end. Then plug your USB drive into that. Don't insert in and out directly from the machine, but rather the cable instead.

Remember that when Intel invented USB almost 15 years ago, the idea of portable USB drives weren't even a gleam in their eye.

Just to nit pick, Intego invented USB and Intel bought it from them.
  • Reply 119 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Just to nit pick, Intego invented USB and Intel bought it from them.

Intel bought the concept.

intel and MS developed it into a useful product.

Like Apple bought what was the precursor to FCP from Macromedia.

I think that it would be a stretch to say that Macromedia invented it. The original core. But most of that is gone.

The same thing would hold for DVD Studio Pro. It came from three programs that Apple bought from Astarte (I THINK I spelled it right). You wouldn't recognize them though from looking at Studio.
  • Reply 120 of 185
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

<off-topic again>Um, I'm just saying Apple shouldn't upgrade the Power Macs at all, just to tease people into buying $2000+ machines, and then release another upgrade in six weeks. That would be very unfair. Remember the IIvx? In other words, release nothing new unless you intend to stick with it for awhile.

Personally, I don't buy Power Macs anymore. I think they're too expensive.</off-topic>

Yeah, they are expensive. However, Apple basically screws over a good hunk of userbase.

Follow: I want a new mac, looking for a desktop machine (I have a 2 year old G3 iBook, which works fairly well for what it is). So, that leads me to mac Mini, emac, imac, or powermac. Now, I already have a nice 20" LCD on my desk, so I don't need a built-in screen (plus, I don't like the whole "your screen dies, so does your computer" philosophy, already had that inconvenience with my iBook, as well as the fact that a good screen should last twice as long as the computer, at least, but with the built-ins, your screwed into getting new screens all the time). Goodbye iMac and eMac. I look at the mini and say "Wow, what an underpowered computer" and I'd prefer not to start buying computers as a 'disposable' commodity, getting one every year because their cheap.

So that leaves a $2000+ tower. And that's how Apple screws over its users. You're either getting semi-cheap computers (iMacs), but upgrading requires continuously buying unneeded parts (screens) over and over. But if you want to bring your own screen, you're left with either (a) a slow and unexpandable mini, or (b) an overpriced tower (sorry, I don't see the 1.8GHz tower as being a compromise, as I've already said, its a joke and nothing more). And when spending $2000+, its going to be a computer that better last me a while (which is why the lack of a real upgrade in April pissed me off to no end). You all do realize the reason people use Macs longer than PCs, right? Its because they've spent so much money on them, they need to use them longer in order to save money to buy their next ones.

Couldn't Apple offer the power of an iMac without the screen? Couldn't they offer a better tower at a cheaper price? Sure, but why should they? It would only offer their users more choice and ability to get the kind of computer they want. And that would just lead to stupid consequences like more sales and increased market share. What's the point in that?

Of course, I could just spend a $1000 on a decent PC system and wait for Apple to offer more choice then what they've got now.