Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Dual 2.0 Ghz G5

1 GB o' RAM

250 GB serial HD

256 meg Radeon 9650

Combo Drive

$2124

It says shipping on or before May 9th. This is my first online apple order, I hope it doesnt take too long ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Nice machine, I wouldn't worry too much about your purchase. People around here are little too optimistic about the introduction of dual-core CPU?s in the near future. I highly doubt will see them until the end of 2006. The next Powermac update will be just as anemic as this one 2.3, 2.7 and 3.0 GHz. You found your hole of opportunity and jumped in, now relax and enjoy your supercomputer.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    beakeebeakee Posts: 64member
    A screamer. Congrats. Why no SD?
  • Reply 3 of 52
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    I ordered basically the same machine. Instead of the 250 gig drive, I added bluetooth and wireless. I also threw in a Cinema 20" display to top it off.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I rarely at all even burn CDs, and the 16X DVD burner seems something I would use once or twice. Just specing another $200 worth of secondaries on this machine made the purchase seem many times better.

It was just sent to manufactering, how long still?
  • Reply 5 of 52
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Congrats Matt! You've been talking about upgrading for aaaaaages
  • Reply 6 of 52
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I ordered too!! Glad to see someone else has so that if Apple does release new Dual Dualies we can complain to each other.

I ordered the Dual 2.7 Ghz, 250 GB HD, 4.5 Gigs of ram(not from Apple!), 9800 Ultra DDL. My estimated ship date is on the 5th. I can't wait, my ram is at my house already as well as my AppleCare.

I know I will love the power of the machine, as the fastest computer I have had is my current 12" PB at 1Ghz and only 768MB of Ram. Photoshop was killing me on it, but Tiger has helped a little, especially with Quartz 2D extreme. But my needs are turning higher and higher, especially with my company. It was finally time to just break down and do it, I was wasting too much time editing photos, now I can easily make a script and run it on several hundred photos and it not kill my machine.

Have fun with your new machine! I know I will!!!
  • Reply 7 of 52
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    Nice choice!

Was waiting for iMac but decided on PM. Figured after the Apple displays being reduced it was a bettter option in the long run. My first ever Mac
  • Reply 8 of 52
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Dual 2.3 Ghz G5

1 GB RAM (with an additional pair of 1GB coming from Crucial)

250 GB serial HD*

GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL (Four words: Games & Final Cut Studio)

SuperDrive

$2884

Shipping Wednesday.

*If this is a Maxtor, this was a mistake on my part. I should have gotten the minimal and bought 2 Seagate Barracudas. Ah well.

Over a three day arc before and after the announcements, it was excitement , disappointment , research , acceptance \ and shopping .

Screed
  • Reply 9 of 52
    What are you estimated ship dates, everyone?
  • Reply 10 of 52
    johnhenryjohnhenry Posts: 152member
    Replacing my loud MDD Dual Gig Powermac (where is the best place to sell this btw?)

Really really hoping for dual core, but I honestly don't think it will make that much of a performance difference yet anyway (doesn't on the PC side so why would it on the mac side)

Going to attempt do finally ditch the gaming PC too...

Dual 2.7

2 Gb Ram

Radeon x800xt

Superdrive

250gb drive

300 Maxtor 10 with 16mb buffer (love this harddrive but didnt work so well in my current mac as it is a serial drive and was forced to use and adapter)

Logitech z5500 5.1 speakers

Lusting after that beautiful 23" cinema display but will stick with my 22" for now (which I do love, but doesn't have the screen real estate of the 23 nor the awesome good looks anymore)

Lets hope this thing keeps up with my 2.6 p4 and nvidea 6800gt in WoW. If it does I will be very happy.

Looking forward to Tiger most of all though.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    I'm going to try to hold out till my birthday in September, which likely won't happen if I keep reading threads like these! I can afford one now, but I just got into the mini, and it's holding up well with the faster HD inside. It already has a future home at my parents house. I want a few expansion slots and multi-monitor support, and darn it if those PowerMacs aren't the sweetest looking machines to ever contain an operating system! I'll likely either do a dual 2.0ghz or 2.3ghz, but who knows what refurb deals might be at the Apple store in September?
  • Reply 12 of 52
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Well I finally got my PowerBook yesterday (after being without a laptop for 3 weeks)

15" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz, the only mod to it was 1gig of memory. I splurged and got an iSight at the same time.

I was hoping that my old laptop would survive until I had gotten my PowerBook with Tiger pre-installed, but that wasn't the case. However to look on the bright side, I now get to have fun installing Tiger when I get my Up-to-date copy.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

I was wasting too much time editing photos, now I can easily make a script and run it on several hundred photos and it not kill my machine.

Just out of curiosity, what type of editing are you going to script for your photos?
  • Reply 14 of 52
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Well, I do several. Keep in mind that I typically have about 700 to slim down. I end up with about 250 that I will keep. Out of that 250, I will Personally edit about 20-30 depending on clients needs. That leaves me with about 220 to fix up. That could take a while. So, I will do a color adjustment, adjust the levels, and run a script for sizing and for a watermark. On my PB it is taking soo long that it is actually easier for me to just do it on my own, and not do all of the photos, but about half. Now, I should be able to specifiy the folder, run the action, and call it a day.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    codewarriorcodewarrior Posts: 196member
    I broke down at the Tiger release event and got a PowerMac 2.0 GHZ and a 20" Apple Cinema Display. The 10% off the total purchase from the scratch off card sealed the deal. I'd been waiting until new PowerMacs or new iMacs were released. Since I'm doing video work, I went with the PowerMac.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    siriussirius Posts: 4member
    After about 4 days of bargain hunting and brain cell burning, I decided to go for this:

Dual 2.3

9650XT (256MB)

250GB HD

Airport & BT module but cabled keyboard

Macguru.com sells 1GB ram chips for $118, so I'll be ordering 4 from them.

I ordered May 4 and it's scheduled to ship on the 16th. That's a bummer, but I'm getting this in Japan with an academic discount, and we're in the midst of a holiday week.

My angst was to go on the cheap with the new 2.0 (impossible to find Rev.B 2.0s in Japan!), or the 2.3. Eventually I felt that for the 20% more I spend I could get a machine w/a little more horsepower, ability to go over 4GB in RAM, and PIC-X slots that could take me into HD editing, or at least be a spare workhorse if I ever get to that point. At the moment, I'm just doing very simple SD editing w/FCP3 on my tortuously problematic G4 400.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    power applepower apple Posts: 335member
    This is what I ended up ordering...

? Dual 2.0 GHz

? 3 GB RAM (upgrade to 2 x 512 from Apple + 2 x 1 GB from elsewhere)

? 2 x 250 GB HDs (internal, one from Apple and one from elesewhere)

? Radeon 9650 with 256 MB VRAM

? 16x Dual Layer DVD (and rest configured as standard...)

...plus one 20" Apple Cinema Display.

This should provide me with enough power for my audio workstation needs for at least a couple of years (I'm expecting about three years). I hope
  • Reply 18 of 52
    ravenpenravenpen Posts: 14member
    Dual 2.7 Gig

250 gig hard drive

1 gig RAM (another Gig coming from Crucial eventually)

Geforce 6800 Ultra DDL

Apple Care (can't be too careful with those liquid cooling units)

Estimated ship date = May 4th, TODAY!!!!!

Anyone got any good monitor suggestions? I'm thinking either a 19-inch CRT or a 17-inch LCD with native DVI.

• Reply 19 of 52
    Why are the estimated shipping times on these orders so long?
  • Reply 20 of 52
    ravenpenravenpen Posts: 14member
    Weirdness....

I was just checking my order status and it said my G5 had been ?Replaced with new product?.

When I look at the order details it shows my old order and a new one underneath it that is exactly the same as the old one including my RAM upgrade and Geforce 6800 Ultra.

Very strange, wonder what the deal is?