New iBooks/Powerbooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It seems that Apple has updated almost everything but the laptop line. The Powerbook line was updated earlier in the year, but I think that since the iBook hasn't been, we will likely see one last iBook model at WWDC (it's only a month away now) before we see anything G5 in the Laptop sector. It would be possible for Apple to announce a G5 laptop at WWDC, but considering their recent engeneiring and thermal problems, it seems very unlikely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Seems like Steve Jobs will have to have something to intro at WWDC. Perhaps it will be a newly redesigned iBook. I think PowerBooks are unlikely. With Tiger out now, a new iBook could really have the potential to pump Mac sales numbers. (That's 2¢ from me.)
  • Reply 2 of 15
    stustanleystustanley Posts: 236member
    i think is more probable that we see a 17" G5 laptop than a 12". The imac G5 showed that they can start getting these things smaller, and with some of the powermacs only being air cooled, we can see that they can be cool too.

So i think we will see a 17" G5 powerbook before not too long
  • Reply 3 of 15
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Unlikely they'd intro an updated iBook at WWDC, unless there's something tremendously different about it that requires coding changes.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Unlikely they'd intro an updated iBook at WWDC, unless there's something tremendously different about it that requires coding changes.

Every year, people make statements to the effect of "such and such won't be introduced at WWDC because it's a pro conference." There are Mac developers at the conference. Anything that's good for the platform is good for developers. It's an event that gets coverage in the tech web. If there's something new coming out at that time, it's a good place to announce it. That's not saying if iBooks are ready next week, Apple will wait for WWDC to introduce them.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Your argument does make sense, but then again, new cinema displays (last WWDC) don't have any special coding requirements. WWDC is a forum for Apple get extra press coverage, and if a new design of a product is released, Apple can only really do it at somewhere like WWDC, Mac Expo Paris, MWSF etc. So I suppose, there is no reason why we couldn't see new iBooks.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Here is what I think.

Power Macs, iMacs and eMacs have been updated around or just after Tiger's release and they ship with Tiger as OS. The Mac mini still comes with Panther and had not an update from its release. Similarly, the iBook and Powerbook come with Panther as default OS. We know that the iBook update is around the corner but the Powerbook got its update a little more than 3 months ago.

So, if we follow the pattern in the desktop line, it seems that Apple updates each hardware line before ship it by default with Tiger. And here is the question: for how long would they wait before to do this with the Powerbook? And will they do it with or without a significant hardware update?

My guess is that the Powerbooks will not ship with Tiger before this WWDC .
  • Reply 7 of 15
    uncharteduncharted Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Here is what I think.

Power Macs, iMacs and eMacs have been updated around or just after Tiger's release and they ship with Tiger as OS. The Mac mini still comes with Panther and had not an update from its release. Similarly, the iBook and Powerbook come with Panther as default OS. We know that the iBook update is around the corner but the Powerbook got its update a little more than 3 months ago.

So, if we follow the pattern in the desktop line, it seems that Apple updates each hardware line before ship it by default with Tiger. And here is the question: for how long would they wait before to do this with the Powerbook? And will they do it with or without a significant hardware update?

My guess is that the Powerbooks will not ship with Tiger before this WWDC .

What do you mean by ship? The UK Apple store states that iBooks (and I think PowerBooks) ship with Tiger and has done since before the iMac refresh.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

An updated iBook doesn't need WWDC to be announced, even if it gets a Core Image supported graphics card, but a redesigned iBook (widescreen?) does so it can be raised from below the stage and rotated at chest level (Steve's) so there can be oohs, aahs, clapping, and commenting to the person next to you.

I do not want to get anyone's hopes up, but a new iBook might just be the "Just one more thing."
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Uncharted

What do you mean by ship? The UK Apple store states that iBooks (and I think PowerBooks) ship with Tiger and has done since before the iMac refresh.

\

I don't know, I checked the technical spefications page for each line and it gives for the system software:

eMac, iMac, Power Mac: Tiger.

iBook, Powerbook, Mac mini: Panther.

If Apple indeed ships those with Tiger, should not the tech. spec. pages tell it clearly?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    The apple store descriptions make it a bit more clear...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

The apple store descriptions make it a bit more clear...

Yeah, I just checked that out. I am wondering why Apple has not updated almost one week after Tiger's release the technical specifications pages for the hardware lines that had not recently an update.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    scooterboyscooterboy Posts: 69member
    Apple needs to pull something out of their hat and soon. Centrino 2 with PCIe is here, and there will be many thin and light PC laptops that will blow away the PowerBook G4 in speed, display quality, graphics, and battery life.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scooterboy

Apple needs to pull something out of their hat and soon. Centrino 2 with PCIe is here, and there will be many thin and light PC laptops that will blow away the PowerBook G4 in speed, display quality, graphics, and battery life.

Yeah, i definitely agree with you that they need to do something with the processor speed, but do you think they can make the G5 processor smaller any time soon without making it worse? I've got the new Imac G5 and it does move slower compared to equivalent G5 processors in powermacs.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    i agree their computers are outdated Powerbooks are kinda, but ibooks really are CRYING for a update and i hope its soon i can only wait until June 17... No computers have 32mb of Vram these days...
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by NetClassStudent

I've got the new Imac G5 and it does move slower compared to equivalent G5 processors in powermacs.

The iMac has a slower bus, is that what you do mean?