No PowerBook Rumors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Uhh, no PowerBook rumors at all.

No info on CPU, monitor, dates, etc. Nothing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    There are constantly rumors about the Poewrbooks, in these forums. However, they were updated on the last day of January, so an update is not imminent.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i have decided that i won't buy another PB until the small form factor PB comes with a decent GPU with at least 128mb and a widescreen....make it a 13.1.

I love this 12" PB but it needs more GPU and a better brighter screen. Give me that I'm happy. I don't have any real use for a G5 in mine.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    I think the next (maybe 6 months from now) update to the notebook lineup should be the following (maybe with a little wishful thinking):

iBooks:

--12" widescreen

G4 or a high perf dual-core G4

updated graphics card, faster hard drive + memory

all other specs similar to current ones

--14" widescreen

G4 or high perf dual-core G4

same as 12" updates

PowerBooks:

--13" widescreen

New "G5 mobile" with low clock speeds, but 64-bit; dual core version offered as a high-perf model

HD display (at least available as an option)

updated graphics

--15,17" widescreens (as current but with HD screens or as option)

updated graphics, faster memory

512RAM standard across the line

-same processor options as on the 13" PB

maybe keep the 12" 4:3 aspect ration PowerBook to see how sales are, price it the same as 13"
  • Reply 4 of 19
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

i have decided that i won't buy another PB until the small form factor PB comes with a decent GPU with at least 128mb and a widescreen....make it a 13.1.

Good call. I understand Apple trying to keep things simple, the reason (?) why the 12" PowerBook appears so similar to an iBook. But they need to 1) get out of this "smaller is weaker" mantalidy and 2) differenciate the 12 inchers.

Sure its harder to offer high-end GPUs and CPUs in a smaller form factor, regardless, a trip to the Apple Store (online) will show you the 12 inchers in either line being the weakest.

Bit more parity between sizes, and 16:10 screens at least in the PowerBook line.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I have used a 12-inch iBook and a 12-inch PowerBook. In as much as they are similar, they are different. The 12-inch PowerBook has a more tank like feel, and the keyboard is night and day to the iBook's. Apple should go widescreen on all of it's portables.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    bazadbazad Posts: 20member
    This thread confirms it. There are no rumors. Just wishes and opinions.

Apple security is looking strong.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Just a little side note...

In 2002, the powerbooks were updated in Novemeber... MWSF 2003 the powerbooks were updated again to the Aluminum models... hrm... 2 month cycle?! Very interesting

2 month powerbook cycle

I just want to point out, that the g5 will be released in these machines as soon as its ready. They are not going to try to milk these models. That being said... It has been stated by certain sites that the powerbook g5 is not expected until next year. So that means we are in for ANOTHER G4 update to the powerbook... hopefully with a better graphics card. I'll tell you why that isn't really possible though. The G4 architecture is limited to AGP 4x... so putting a 9800 in that slot is about worthless. So we MAY see a slight speed bump to 1.8-2.0ghz. Until then our only 2 hopes for a better powerbook are the e600 and the 970gx. Whichever is ready first will determine the next powerbook speed bump IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

In 2002, the powerbooks were updated in Novemeber... MWSF 2003 the powerbooks were updated again to the Aluminum models... hrm... 2 month cycle?! Very interesting

Note, however, that the machine updated during that November, the 15", didn't get updated for 10 months, so it wasn't really a 2 month cycle.

That said, I hope to see the powerbooks updated @ WWDC. With the ibook nipping at their heels, the powerbooks just don't seem to be right for the price.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Which is why I am macless right now... the professional lineup is really poor right now... the prosumer lineups (imac and ibooks) are right up there with the pro computers... it doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    Quote:

Which is why I am macless right now... the professional lineup is really poor right now... the prosumer lineups (imac and ibooks) are right up there with the pro computers... it doesn't make any sense.

What makes the professional lineup so poor?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    Quote:

The G4 architecture is limited to AGP 4x... so putting a 9800 in that slot is about worthless.

there is about 0-2% difference (in real world apps) between AGP4x and 8x (and there was at best 2-5% between 2x and 4x when it was released some time ago, maybe its higher now)
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by mat79

there is about 0-2% difference (in real world apps) between AGP4x and 8x (and there was at best 2-5% between 2x and 4x when it was released some time ago, maybe its higher now)

You missed the point! The point was that we can't have 8x type cards... like 9800xt, x800, 6800, 6600... we can only have their 4x predicesors. The cards listed above require the 8X slot.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by AWILL

What makes the professional lineup so poor?

The price. And the graphics options. I don't care about speed for the powermacs(dual 2.0 was fast enough for me) but powerbook speed definitely needs some improvement. Lets not forget that their currently are 7447b's running at 2.0 ghz. I don't care about expandibility.

Basically the 2 things that turn me off on the professional lineup right now is the Price vs Features list. Compare the iMac to the Powermac then compare the iBook and the Powerbook for feature list. The 2 sets run WAY too close together. The iMac sports the same damn graphics card that the powermac does. Both the iMac and the iBook look more appetizing than the Pro computers. Yet they wouldn't be enough power for me.

Powermacs are running on 2 year old technology without any price drops. Powerbooks are running on almost 3 year old technology, but at least they've had some price drops.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    bazadbazad Posts: 20member
    Quote:

The price. And the graphics options. I don't care about speed for the powermacs(dual 2.0 was fast enough for me) but powerbook speed definitely needs some improvement. Lets not forget that their currently are 7447b's running at 2.0 ghz. I don't care about expandibility.

Basically the 2 things that turn me off on the professional lineup right now is the Price vs Features list. Compare the iMac to the Powermac then compare the iBook and the Powerbook for feature list. The 2 sets run WAY too close together. The iMac sports the same damn graphics card that the powermac does. Both the iMac and the iBook look more appetizing than the Pro computers. Yet they wouldn't be enough power for me.

Powermacs are running on 2 year old technology without any price drops. Powerbooks are running on almost 3 year old technology, but at least they've had some price drops.

Powerbooks need:

- Better monitor. Just look at the current PC offerings.

- Better FSB speed

- Nice to have 7200 RPM hard drive
  • Reply 15 of 19
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Quote:

Basically the 2 things that turn me off on the professional lineup right now is the Price vs Features list.

I agree with you on the Powerbook G4, but the Power Mac G5 is priced about right. They are currently competitive with x86 machines with the typical Apple premium. Perhaps in July it won't be, but right now they are fine.

The Powerbook G4 is a midrange laptop masquerading as a high end laptop. I would hope Apple prices them between $1299 (12") and $2299 (17") soon. They don't need to change the specs much.

There should be a Powerbook G5 15" and 17" occupying the $2000+ space. I'm really waiting on a nice Powerbook to replace my 500 MHz iBook. Waiting, waiting, waiting.

Quote:

Compare the iMac to the Powermac then compare the iBook and the Powerbook for feature list. The 2 sets run WAY too close together. The iMac sports the same damn graphics card that the powermac does. Both the iMac and the iBook look more appetizing than the Pro computers. Yet they wouldn't be enough power for me.

They only Power Mac that doesn't fare well with the iMac is the un-revised single processor machine. Otherwise, dual processors, 1/2 FSB ratio, 128 Mbit memory, and actual expansion are big differentiators and worth the price I think.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bazad

Powerbooks need:

- Better monitor. Just look at the current PC offerings.

- Better FSB speed

- Nice to have 7200 RPM hard drive

Yes, plus better superdrives and HD screens.

I think Apple is holding on these features to reveal them when the PB G5 comes out.

Hopefully at WWDC.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    Quote:

You missed the point! The point was that we can't have 8x type cards... like 9800xt, x800, 6800, 6600... we can only have their 4x predicesors. The cards listed above require the 8X slot.

thats just wrong. a AGP 8x card works fine in a AGP4x Port. (just not in the AGP 2x but only because they switched from 3.3V to 1.8(?)V)
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by mat79

thats just wrong. a AGP 8x card works fine in a AGP4x Port. (just not in the AGP 2x but only because they switched from 3.3V to 1.8(?)V)

No that isn't wrong. A lot of AGP 8X cards require the bandwidtht hat 4x can not provide. Some 8x cards will work, but most will not. I suppose apple / ati / nvidia could get them to work, but it definitely wouldn't provide much of a benefit.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

The Powerbook G4 is a midrange laptop masquerading as a high end laptop.

bingo