The "WWDC Speculation" Thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 294
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

There will be new powerbooks at WWDC, now if only they would be FAST... ;-)

How can you be confident of such a statement? The Powerbooks were updated at the end of January. I wouldn't mine seeing a new lineup, but it seems hard to imagine.
  • Reply 22 of 294
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I would say it is very much up in the air what hardware Apple has planned, if any, for the WWDC. I can't imagine there won't be any hardware announcements there. I will plant the seed and say that if the iBooks are NOT updated by the end of May, perhaps we are going to be presented with a revolutionary new notebook lineup ? both iBooks and PowerBooks. It occurs to me that portable sales are the most important of any Apple product right now because this is where the growth is in the industry and if Apple's iPod "Halo Effect" is to truly work, they need to have a strong portables line up to capture them.

Excellent point. I think the entire line could see a shakeup. I think Apple (and IBM partly, as well) has failed in getting the 970fx and bus/chipset heat reduced to a rate that can survive in a laptop without a serious hit on battery life. I have always been one to stick to the f**k Motorola/Freescale view, but that may be the last great hope, unless IBM can deliver a better chip and accompanying chipset truely aimed at a portable.

Jeez, the mini and eMac are the only desktops left with the G4 and it is topped out. Why do you think they finally put a 1.42GHz cpu in the eMac and started off with a 1.25GHz cpu in the Mini? I think Apple forsees that they need to prolong the G4 in a desktop, so as not to have their typically strongest sellers (laptops) dwindling with the worst processor in the hardware lineup. Remember the, 2004 is (well, was) the year of the laptop line from one of Jobs' keynotes? Uh-huh. Only educational district contracts of iBook sales are saving their hide, and with Tiger, it seems the specs are lotsa memory, better GPUs and processors. Tiger will push the G4 (and its weak bus) to the limit. True, you can turn off things like Quartz 2D Extreme, but who wants to. You get Tiger and iLife with new iBooks, etc, but some of the amazing things are limited with limited memory, a weak GPU and a weak processor/bus.

The G4 is kind of like the punching bag for their hardware lineup. "No the G4 is still a viable, strong processor. We use it in the Mini, the eMac and our portable lineup. We like to have options." Sure, only until IBM can deliver a processor that can be wedged into a portable in practice, not just in theory as they have said of the G5.
  • Reply 23 of 294
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Been trying to think what Steve might talk about.

He may give a few initial numbers on Tiger sales but we certainly will not be seeing a OS demo.

New PM's, iMacs, and eMacs have been released. So obviously, their will be no dual core news.

A PB G5 is a REMOTE posibility but I think that is still a good 6 months off.

No iBook either.

Music and video apps were shown at NAB. Nothing shown in regards to this.

Could be something new. Its time for something that is not an iPod. YEah, iPod sales are good but they will not continue forever. I give about 18 more months for the iPod fad to continue. Apple needs something new.

I want to see an answer to MS's Media center. I think the pieces are about in place for it to happen now.

Come on Apple. "WOW" me.
  • Reply 24 of 294
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    40" cinema display with media pod....

would be nice.

or just the media pod and itmovie store
  • Reply 25 of 294
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Why Apple would release a 40" monitor when the 30" one remains still practically without competition?
  • Reply 26 of 294
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    probably tiger talk (yay) and new ipods (again).
  • Reply 27 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

would be nice.

or just the media pod and itmovie store

Not to harp, but I have seen a bunch of people referring to an ITMovie store. Why on Earth would it be iTunes Movie Store - iTunes is the app. iMovie is an app. How about calling it iMovie Store (IMS, for short). Is it just me?
  • Reply 28 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Not to harp, but I have seen a bunch of people referring to an ITMovie store. Why on Earth would it be iTunes Movie Store - iTunes is the app. iMovie is an app. How about calling it iMovie Store (IMS, for short). Is it just me?

I don't care what it is called just deliver it.

call it iSteve or iJobs

and frankly I think the i in everything started out with Ives

aka Ive's Mac = iMac or Ive's Pod = ipod
  • Reply 29 of 294
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Because iMovie is a Mac-only film editing app, while iTunes is the cross-platform content delivery system with the massive mindshare and brand recognition.
  • Reply 30 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Because iMovie is a Mac-only film editing app, while iTunes is the cross-platform content delivery system with the massive mindshare and brand recognition.

Spose....how about Apple Media Store (AMS) ? Nothing Tunes/Movie/specific about that.
  • Reply 31 of 294
    Anyone else notice there is no Keynote?
  • Reply 32 of 294
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Jobs just confirmed within the last 48 hrs that he will be giving one.

Unless that changed...
  • Reply 33 of 294
    EDIT: Ah, thanks for the link.
  • Reply 34 of 294
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Not doubting you.. but can you give me a source for this? I can't seem to find any info about such.

link
  • Reply 35 of 294
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Here's an idea, Jobs will announce his retirement, Ive's to take over.
  • Reply 36 of 294
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Also been thinking about what the keynote might be about too. If the TBA sessions, there are quite a few, stay TBA until after the keynote, then I think there will be something developer-related announced.

Some possible software things that could be "announced". GUI resolution independence was talked at WWDC04, but was very low key. This time around it could be highly visible in Jobs' keynote. Same thing with Core Data. Some new Apple applications could also be announced like a spreadsheet to flesh out iWork or audio/video/graphics apps to display the power of Tiger.

Hardware-wise, the iBook will be 7 months old in June. If they are not updated before WWDC, it could be announced at WWDC. There is virtually zero room between the Powerbook and iBook, but there could be a paltry update up to 1.42 GHz G4. There is also room for 1 or 2 Powerbook G5 configurations above $2699. The Xserve RAID could be updated as well. Lastly, some iPod thing.

So the keynote could go like, not necessarily in this order:

1. State of Apple

1a. Finances

1b. Tiger sales

1c. Macintosh updates

1d. iTMS, iPod photo/mini/shuffle dominance

2. Tiger demos

3. Post-Tiger Mac OS Ten developments

3a. Resolution independence

3b. Metadata, UI changes to take advantage

3c. who knows

4. iBook update

5. Something iPod

6. One more thing

[edit: grammar idiocy]
  • Reply 37 of 294
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Do you think he'll talk about the number of problems people are having with the tiger update vs. older updates? Tiger is one buggy install for more people than any other Mac OS release I have ever seen. It appears that even MacWorld is documenting it.
  • Reply 38 of 294
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    A lot of the problems I'm seeing are people who are "upgrading" their previous OS.

Me myself I would rather install Tiger cleanly and then reconfigure my computers settings. It's the "cleanest" way to do things but it means your installations take a lot longer.
  • Reply 39 of 294
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    Aren't xServes ready for a bump? And wouldn't WWDC be a good place to do it?

HSE,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 40 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

Here's an idea, Jobs will announce his retirement, Ive's to take over.

apple stock takes its biggest one day loss!

Panic ensues.