Installing Tiger on a computer without a DVD drive?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm thinking of getting a family pack of Tiger, but I don't know whether there's any way of installing Tiger on my dad's Quicksilver G4 that has a CD-RW drive (I personally think that this was a grandly stupid idea: that's going to get a lot of the 'from-the-store' Mac Mini new users pissed that they can't install this 'Tiger' thing that everybody's talking about)

So, is there any way? (I have a G5, for reference, so if the installer installs differently on G5s and G4s...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

(I personally think that this was a grandly stupid idea: that's going to get a lot of the 'from-the-store' Mac Mini new users pissed that they can't install this 'Tiger' thing that everybody's talking about)

Mac minis all come with a combo drive at least, so no problem there.

Anyway, check out the Media Exchange program (middle right column) to purchase Tiger on CD:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/
  • Reply 2 of 15
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    A repeat from my post in the Gen bar.

I installed Tiger from onto my non DVD MAC thus.

On my Tiger mac I have a disk with 2 partitions (tiger and Work). I used Disk util to erase the Work partition. I then used carbon copy cloner to copy the tiger DVD onto my partition.

Put a firewire cable between the 2 macs.

Reboot the tiger mac and hold down the T key until the firewire symbol appeared.

Reboot the non-dvd mac and hold down the option key.

Boot from the tiger partition (not the copied one).

When up and running you will see the non-dvd mac local drive plus the 2 tiger drives Tiger and Work.

Open the Work drive in a finder window and click on

/System/Installers/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

You may need to use disk utility to erase the non-dvd mac drive.

Install as you normally would.

When finish unplug the firewire cable and reboot the non-dvd mac and you have a tiger mac.

I you don't have a spare partition you could save a disk image and the the above but mount the .dmg after you boot from the dvdmac Tiger drive via firewire.

Simple huh!

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Ignore overly complicated previous reply.

This also works.

Insert Tiger DVD in the DVD drive mac.

Plug firewire cable into non-dvd mac.

Reboot non-dvd mac and hold down T key.

Start the install of tiger on the dvd mac.

Select the non-dvd mac firewire drive to install to.

Much easier than pissing around with partitions.

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    How about if the DVD drive enabled MAC doesn't have firewire? Can something like this be done by mounting it through the network?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Mac minis all come with a combo drive at least, so no problem there.

Ah, okay. Sounds good.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    This may sound kind of ridiculous, but aren't combo drives none-too-expensive now? I'd say just suck it up and buy a new drive. It's an investment for the computer's future.

\
  • Reply 7 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Interesting. Do you know if this will work on an old non-firewire Powerbook using a firewire adaptor (PCMCIA)? I have a Jaguar copy in DVD (useless now that I run Panther), and I would like to install it in such a Powerbook.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

This may sound kind of ridiculous, but aren't combo drives none-too-expensive now? I'd say just suck it up and buy a new drive. It's an investment for the computer's future.

\

not really the answer if you have an iMac - i used an external FireWire DVD drive.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

not really the answer if you have an iMac - i used an external FireWire DVD drive.

True. I was specifically commenting to Placebo as author of this thread.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Ignore overly complicated previous reply.

This also works.

Much easier than pissing around with partitions.

Dobby.

I had thought of that but I wondered, doesn't the installer check the kind of computer being used for the install and modify the install accordingly? In other words, if you try this with G5 connected to a G3 iMac won't it install a bunch of G5 code and drivers for the G5 accessories? Or do all installations get all the software?

It might be slow, but I was thinking of networking two computers, one with a DVD drive and one without and mounting the DVD drive over the network. If I used FW networking that might not be too slow. Of course, I'd first have to learn how to do FW networking. :>
  • Reply 11 of 15
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I'm wanting to do this as well with my PowerBook and my old G3 iMac. Is netboot still around, or has that been abandoned?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I finally bummed a friends DVD iMac and did a target disk install. SWEET!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Thanks dobby. I have to install Tiger on a 400MHz G4 and a 350MHz G3. Yeah, I know their old but they still serve their purpose - now with Tiger instead of Jaguar.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    QUESTION: Do you think I could copy the tiger DVD onto my iPod and then install it from my iPod?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

QUESTION: Do you think I could copy the tiger DVD onto my iPod and then install it from my iPod?

yes