Mac OS X 10.4.1 on track for May release

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmcgann11

the PDF issue (crippling to those us trying to ready a magazine for print)

I have used Adobe CS (on Tiger) quite extensively (minus Photoshop which just gets average use) and have had no problems. I work in InDesign and Acrobat daily. I tested out CS on my iMac (with a full panther backup on the side) and have had no problems.

It is unwise to upgrade so early if your paycheck depends on your computer. I am small so I can afford to play it unsafe with early upgrades but don't think I can't boot off my old panther install at the drop of hat either.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I have used Adobe CS (on Tiger) quite extensively (minus Photoshop which just gets average use) and have had no problems. I work in InDesign and Acrobat daily. I tested out CS on my iMac (with a full panther backup on the side) and have had no problems.

It is unwise to upgrade so early if your paycheck depends on your computer. I am small so I can afford to play it unsafe with early upgrades but don't think I can't boot off my old panther install at the drop of hat either.

no problems here either.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    How is the search instantanious in spotlight at all keynotes, and demos but in the real world release it can take 3-4 seconds to show feedback...is this just because I have a Mini and not a dual g5? even with that, it should not take that long to do an ad-hoc query on a ~7-10 mb sql light database, ahould it? Particularly since it is loaded into ram...isnt it?
  • Reply 64 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

How is the search instantanious in spotlight at all keynotes, and demos but in the real world release it can take 3-4 seconds to show feedback...is this just because I have a Mini and not a dual g5? even with that, it should not take that long to do an ad-hoc query on a ~7-10 mb sql light database, ahould it? Particularly since it is loaded into ram...isnt it?

it's probably an advanced index or something - they're not allowed to fix it too much. They'd have a 7200RPM hard drive, max RAM and small hd? I don't know it takes a few secs on mine as well (PB G4 1.67 GHz 1GB RAm)
  • Reply 65 of 76
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Good point. I have wondered this myself.

I have a G5 iMac 20" 1.8 Ghz w 1 gig ram (I will have 1.5 gig today so I will report back any speed increases from ram).

I don't know why it is taking so long (2-3 seconds) as compared to near instant with SJ does it on stage.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    Quote:

I have a G5 iMac 20" 1.8 Ghz w 1 gig ram (I will have 1.5 gig today so I will report back any speed increases from ram).

I don't know why it is taking so long (2-3 seconds) as compared to near instant with SJ does it on stage.

it did take longer when he went to the backup system - it needed to warm up. Curious!
  • Reply 67 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

As I said, there are some indexing problems. A slower machine will show that up. Hopefully it will be fixed in 10.4.1.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Also, the smaller the number of files, the smaller the index database, and (potentially) the faster the results. Then you have caching of the data in memory (first search takes longer than subsequent searches), etc. As you noted, the backup system took a bit longer at first, as the indexing data was read into memory.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Also, the smaller the number of files, the smaller the index database, and (potentially) the faster the results. Then you have caching of the data in memory (first search takes longer than subsequent searches), etc. As you noted, the backup system took a bit longer at first, as the indexing data was read into memory.

Kickaha, this has been bothering me for a while now.

How fast do you really type?
  • Reply 70 of 76
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *LAUGH*

Quite. don't think I've ever measured it, but it's certainly speedy. 60wpm when I have to think while typing, probably 80-90 if I'm just ripping through something.

I *do* get a lot of practice.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    Quote:

*LAUGH*

Quite. don't think I've ever measured it, but it's certainly speedy. 60wpm when I have to think while typing, probably 80-90 if I'm just ripping through something.

well you're brain is hung like a horse
  • Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:

*LAUGH*

I do well at forty, and I'm happy. My 13 year old daughter beats that.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I do well at forty, and I'm happy. My 13 year old daughter beats that.

My 11 year old daughter usually has 3-4 IM windows going at once and types like a fool. Just kills me to watch it. Plus, a lot of the words look like gibberish but she assures me it is the correct chat language.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    bsodmikebsodmike Posts: 63member
    Correct chat language? hehe it probably is no where close to the english language, I should know
  • Reply 75 of 76
    bsodmikebsodmike Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It's not?

If you inspect a portion of the circumferance of a circle, a very small section, it is indeed 'flat'
  • Reply 76 of 76
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

60wpm when I have to think while typing, probably 80-90 if I'm just ripping through something.

My mom could cut through 180 wpm - and that's not on a keyboard, that was on those old ass dinosaur type writers. No typing mistakes allowed either.

Unfortunately, that typing gene never made it down to me.