Crucial is out of iMac G5 1 gig ram chips...what other macs take that chip?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just find it out they are out of the 1 gig ram chips. All the times i have ordered from them, they have never been out. Of course, at $159 for a 1 gig chip, I guess they are going quickly.

What other macs can use the same ram as my G5 iMac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    OWC has some for around $125

Other World Computing
  • Reply 2 of 9
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    They just restocked at Crucial. 1 gig chips for $145 and free shipping.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    thinkthink Posts: 14member
    Or you could spend $79.99 + $4.99 shipping for this (limit 1 item):

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820223020

Or if you need more than one stick, $85.99 + $4.33 shipping for this:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820161626

Both are 1gb DDR400 DIMM modules for much less than those other sites.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Think

Or you could spend $79.99 + $4.99 shipping for this (limit 1 item):

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820223020

Or if you need more than one stick, $85.99 + $4.33 shipping for this:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820161626

Both are 1gb DDR400 DIMM modules for much less than those other sites.

WOW! $79.99 is cheap per stick is cheap, could someone speak to the reliablity of these sticks?

Thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Well, the Wintec memory (second link in the above post) has a review posted from an iMac G5 owner saying that the memory works in his machine after Hardware Checker and 4 runs of Memtest. Here's a copy/paste of the review of the Wintec memory.

"We've been running this chip for 2 weeks without trouble in an iMac G5 (with original 256 MB; total RAM now 1.25 GB). Tested it with Apple's Hardware Checker, and overnight with 4 runs of Memtest 4.03M (under single-user unix mode). One correction: it's 3.0 CAS latency, not 2.5; however, since it runs fine in the iMac and was $100 less than the equivalent "Mac-approved" RAM, we're happy... Memtest link is below."
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    I've been running generic RAM in my mini for 4 months now with no complaints. Cheaper RAM typically has a higher latency (slightly slower), but that's pretty much the only difference.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    arklabarklab Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wingnut

I've been running generic RAM in my mini for 4 months now with no complaints. Cheaper RAM typically has a higher latency (slightly slower), but that's pretty much the only difference.

What latency is BEST for the new iMac G5?

I've got a 2Hhz on order, and want to buy a pair of 1G DIMMS.

I know CL 3.0 will RUN, but can it really keep up with the new 667FSB?

Would 2.0 or 2.5 improve things, or just be ignored and run the same as the slower timings?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Honestly, you won't notice the difference between the timings unless you're doing some super intensive work, and even then it won't be a serious difference. While I'm not aware of the iMac's factory timings, I would assume it's 2.5-4-4-8. Additionally, timings generally slow down as you increase in module size, so getting quick 1gb modules will probably cost you a pretty penny.

Good luck with your purchases all! I'm super jealous of your iMacs... I covet one of the newly revised 20" models. I'm sick of no screen space with my 12" PowerBook!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I just find it out they are out of the 1 gig ram chips. All the times i have ordered from them, they have never been out. Of course, at $159 for a 1 gig chip, I guess they are going quickly.

What other macs can use the same ram as my G5 iMac.

PowerMacs G5s save the Rev.A 1.6ghz and most Windows PCs sold in the last year and a half.