The "Finally gave in and ordered a Power Mac" thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ravenpen

Weirdness....

I was just checking my order status and it said my G5 had been ?Replaced with new product?.

When I look at the order details it shows my old order and a new one underneath it that is exactly the same as the old one including my RAM upgrade and Geforce 6800 Ultra.

Very strange, wonder what the deal is?

Most likely a faulty unit that had to be replaced. So the serial number changed off of your inventory.

I recieved mine today, Apple upgraded my machine to 2nd day air. How nice of them!! Now I get to play before I leave for the weekend. Yeah!!
  • Reply 22 of 52
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Hey, me too!!

Screed
  • Reply 23 of 52
    I FINALLY took the plunge and ordered my very first Power Mac. At first I was trying to wait for one of the Dual 2.0GHz refurbished machines since they had a modem, held more memory and PCI-X.

I thought about it some more, and really would I ever use PCI-X? I doubt it. The Nvidia 5200 seemed too anemic (only 64MB RAM and so old!), and I wanted to get Bluetooth 2.0. It can be very expensive to try to get this once you have a system, plus both Bluetooth and Airport Extreme were only $89 dollars and I was going to get Airport Extreme anyway, that's at least $70!.

So I ended up getting one of the following:

Dual 2.0GHz

512MB RAM

160GB SATA Drive

16X DL DVD-Burner

ATi Radeon 9650

Bluetooth 2.0 and Airport Extreme

56k Modem

All for $1933 or so (Educational Discount)
  • Reply 24 of 52
    - j b 7 2 -- j b 7 2 - Posts: 201member
    I gave in a grabbed my first G5:

Dual 2.3

2.5 gigs RAM (2 gig sticks from Crucial, I'll get more later)

Extra Seagate 400 gig SATA on the way

Radeon 9600 (I'm hoping they'll come out with the OEM X850 by July)

So far I'm loving it. No regrets here. So much faster and quieter than my dual gig MDD. Looks better too.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Just checked the Apple Store status for my order and saw that the status of my G5 system is now "Shipped".

My 20" Cinema display will be here Friday. With my birthday being next Monday, this could be a very nice weekend!

Hopefully my wife doesn't make me go out and find a new place to live with my new Mac. \
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Officially delayed to the 16th.

Screed
  • Reply 27 of 52
    ravenpenravenpen Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Officially delayed to the 16th.

Screed

Me too Screed,

Seems we both got the same message and ended up with the same results.

I have no idea what happened, but something must've gotten fouled up.

There's a little hope though, my email said that it was to ship on or before the 16th so it is possibe we'll get our orders earlier.

If not, it's going to be a looong couple of weeks.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    In a desperate attempt to make lemonade: at least we know there is Quality Assurance taking place... or there is a design flaw and they caught on fire... lesser PC companies might not have cared and sent it anyway... or the underpaid Taiwanese laborer on the line had a severe accident...

Wow, I'm Mr. Bipolar today.

But enough of my misery, somebody post some happy news or pics or benchmarks of a 2.3 Ghz dualie.

Screed With Teeth
  • Reply 29 of 52
    siriussirius Posts: 4member
    According to AI's front page, there's a 10.4.1 update being brewed, so perhaps that Quality Assurance is concerned with the software... Time will tell.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Good point! Ravenpen and I ordered 6800s and JB72's with a 9600 shipped. Perhaps it's 10.4.0 and the Nvidias.

Screed

Edit: Ugh, wait! AI is reporting today that .1 is in testing now and will ship mid-month or later.... 5/16.... mid-month.

TEH C0NF1RM3D!
  • Reply 31 of 52
    - j b 7 2 -- j b 7 2 - Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Good point! Ravenpen and I ordered 6800s and JB72's with a 9600 shipped. Perhaps it's 10.4.0 and the Nvidias.

Actually I just picked mine up at the Glendale Apple store on April 30th. I just couldn't wait. Although, yes, getting a better graphics card, will tend to slow down the order.

It's worth the wait though.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

Screed

Edit: Ugh, wait! AI is reporting today that .1 is in testing now and will ship mid-month or later.... 5/16.... mid-month.

TEH C0NF1RM3D!

I'd tend to agree except that it looks like iJerry ordered a 2.7 with a 6800 ultra and he already received his.

Who knows, maybe it's just luck of the draw.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    nuggetnugget Posts: 19member
    Maybe it's the 400gb drive? I'm also delayed until "on or before the 16th" with the weird replacement of identical hardware. My config is:

2.7, 2x512 ram, 400gb drive, 6800 Ultra, Bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

My cinema display arrived Monday, which has been torturous.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nugget

My cinema display arrived Monday, which has been torturous.

Yep. My cinema display just got to my house today. My wife called about it earlier. Unfortunately, the delivery date for the system has been pushed back to Wednesday, May 11th.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Well you see the new powermacs are really dual 4Ghz machines but 10.4.0 wont work with them, thus apple is waiting for the update 10.4.1 to ship them. When your powermac arrives you'll be surprised. Yup, that's right.. it's official my pet mouse told me. Hey they are super intelligent trans-dimensional beings.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Shipped! How long does fedex ground take?
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Shipped! How long does fedex ground take?

It depends on where you are at and where it is coming from. My Power Mac left Anaheim, CA yesterday and is scheduled to be here next Wednesday. Oh yea... here is Birmingham, AL.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Yeah, I upgraded mine a lot except for the HD and recieved it earlier than they told me. I actually recieved it on my tentative ship date. Apple upped my shipping to next day air for whatever reason?? But I am glad that they did. I guess when you spend all of your money at their store, they know and hook you up!
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

I guess when you spend all of your money at their store, they know and hook you up!

Oh how I wish that were true....

After having my ship date slip from the 4th to the 16th I've been waiting with baited breath hoping that the "on or before" is more BEFORE than on.

Cause right now I'm both broke and G5-less.

To quote Dr. Smith:

"Oh the pain, the paaaiiiinnnnn....."
  • Reply 40 of 52
    nuggetnugget Posts: 19member
    Hang in there. Mine got bumped from the 4th to the 13th and it shipped out today. I think in this case they're pretty honest about that "on or before" line.