Tiger on a Pismo...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Need some advice guys.

I just picked up a Pismo for $50. Internal battery (PRAM?) and main battery are kaput. Otherwise it works just fine when plugged in! It's in excellent condition...

It has a 10Gig HDD partitioned into two halfs of 5Gig each. One contains OS9 and the other contains Jaguar. I want to put Tiger on it. I understand that I won't get the "eyecandy". That's fine.

Do I need to use an OS9 disc? I do have one. Can I reformat the HDD using Tiger only. Is OS9 included in Tiger for Classic?

Thanks peeps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Need some advice guys.

I just picked up a Pismo for $50. Internal battery (PRAM?) and main battery are kaput. Otherwise it works just fine when plugged in! It's in excellent condition...

It has a 10Gig HDD partitioned into two halfs of 5Gig each. One contains OS9 and the other contains Jaguar. I want to put Tiger on it. I understand that I won't get the "eyecandy". That's fine.

Do I need to use an OS9 disc? I do have one. Can I reformat the HDD using Tiger only. Is OS9 included in Tiger for Classic?

Thanks peeps.

well, i plan to try the same install on my wife's pismo sooner or later (say, once she EVER backs up her important files...). you "should" be able to install fromt he tiger dvd, if it has a dvd player drive. classic is not installed, so make sure to retain the old system folder, or do a clean install of classic and archive that in case you need it later. you'll need to repartition into the one 10 GB drive again anyway, and even then, you're going to run out of room quick on that drive. you may want to hunt around for a cheap hard drive replacement (i mean, you got a STEAL of a deal at $50... i would have charged you $100-150 easy, considering it's still tiger compatible with firewire and usb). also see if you can find a replacement battery out there on ebay or something.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I just installed Tiger on a Pismo 400 and it went faster that expected. I upgraded to a 60 gig a while back, Spotlight indexed it in about an hour. Performance is about the same as Panther. Dashboard doesn't do the zooms and flips but works fine. All in all, no problems and I highly recommend doing the upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    halsehalse Posts: 53member
    have also put 10.4 on my pismo 400 (576 MB/20GB) and everything is fine so far, don't expect much speed (xbench of 39 with 10.4) but fine for email and surfing which is about all I use it for (it even does Photoshop 7-in a pinch-without too much pain)--- got a battery from Other World Computing awhile back and it is giving 2.5 hrs or so
  • Reply 4 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I thought it wouldn't work on a Pismo?

Guess I'll nave to give it another look. That was my #2 main reason for not buying it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I thought it wouldn't work on a Pismo?

Guess I'll nave to give it another look. That was my #2 main reason for not buying it.

should work on any mac that includes firewire and usb built-in, so the pismo falls under that umbrella. heck, i've got panther on my wife's pismo, and you actually do get "some" of the eye-candy (expose works, anyway). and heck, tiger must be the FASTEST startup i have ever seen on any mac short of the mac plus and systems 1 through 6, so my wife's will get back days of her life just waiting for the bloody thing to turn on.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Thanks for the replies guys. Ok then, Tiger will run on a Pismo. So let me narrow the focus of my questions.

1- Should I use the OS 9 disc to reformat the HDD or should I use the Tiger disc to reformat the two partitions into one.

2- Should I then use my OS 9 disc to install OS 9 for Classic or is that unnecessary under Tiger. Some OS 9 apps will be used with this Powerbook.

Again, thanks guys. hd.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    You can use either disc to re-format the HD and do a system install.

You can install Tiger first, or OS9 first it doesn't matter.

You will have to install OS9 separately though if you need classic... it is not included with Tiger. (Classic is, but not the OS9 system to let Classic work.)

Enjoy ... I installed Tiger on a G3/466 iBook ... works just fine.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Thanks for the replies guys. Ok then, Tiger will run on a Pismo. So let me narrow the focus of my questions.

1- Should I use the OS 9 disc to reformat the HDD or should I use the Tiger disc to reformat the two partitions into one.

2- Should I then use my OS 9 disc to install OS 9 for Classic or is that unnecessary under Tiger. Some OS 9 apps will be used with this Powerbook.

Again, thanks guys. hd.

well, here's my suggestion... take it for what you will...

first, use the os 9 disc to reformat the disc into one partition. install os 9. run every updater available for it, up to 9.2.2 if it lets you. then boot from the tiger dvd, and install but don't erase. it *should* install 10.4 around classic. so long as you don't select "erase and install." then boot from tiger, and run clasic, and let it update itself with any additional pieces it might need.

there are some possible stumbling blocks, but before i go trying to anticipate every one, you can try the above and report back the results.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I'm going to do the install today. I shall report results later on folks.

Thanks to all.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Everything went without a hitch! I'm surprised Tiger runs as well as it does on this oldie...

Thanks all.