How big is the iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a little question: how big is the iMac 17-inch without the stand? I need to know this for airplane baggage handling... Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Size and weight (17-inch)

Height: 16.9 inches (43.0 cm)

Width: 16.8 inches (42.6 cm)

Depth: 6.8 inches (17.3 cm)

Weight: 18.5 pounds (8.4 kg)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    beimacbeimac Posts: 26member
    Thanks for the quick reply, but aren't those the dimensions with the stand attached? I thought the computer itself was only 1.9 inches deep...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    There is no "without the stand".

It's all one piece.

WR is spec correct and quick on the type.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Oh darn, I thought the stand was removeable. My bad

Thanks WR!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Actually, I think the stand is removable, and while I can't say offhand exactly what it would be without the stand, it would be well within acceptable airline limits(where width is often more a concern)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Indeed, that's what I was thinking. With some bubblewrap and the stand removed, it would fit in the 55cmx40cmx20 cm size limit for carry-on luggage my airline requires. I don't want to put it in my suitcase. It's a hard shell suitcase, but I still don't trust it. The keyboard and mouse could go in there, but not the CPU...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    The stand must be removable for the iMac to be VESA compliant.

here it is

couldn't find anything on size though... maybe someone with a 17" can measure it...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Removing the stand probably involves taking the back panel off to detach the stand from the internal frame of the machine.