A lot of random questions for laptop users...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Any pbook or ibook users buy extra battery(s)? I just bought a 15inch pbook 1.67. I originally was going to spend about 2300 after my student disscount. However the apple store no longer customizes pbooks other then adding ram. So instead of getting my pbook with a 128mbVRAM card, 512ram, 80gig hd. I had to either get the 64 VRAM with my other settings, or get the 128mb vram, with 1gig ram, 100gig hD. I wasn't about to waste money on apple ram so I saved up. Now I am debating how to spend my left over money. So my main idea is to get a new battery so while on my plan rides(next one will be 8hours long). I can watch something and at least kill some time.

One thing I am looking for is a good small external Firewire HD. I have a 100gig one for home. I wanted something around 40gig for travel. Also I remember always reading articles on good wireless portable mouses that are now being introduced. Anyone use a mouse on the road and what type?

Any other suggestions for some must haves while traveling? I am going to Japan for school for a month and bought the powerbook just so I had something to use during that period of time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    I just bought the Logitech V500 notebook mouse and I really like it. I use this with my pb. It does very well on all surface types. I can go from the tray on the airplane to the newspaper on the seat next to me. It works on just about anything. My only dislike is the size. Because of the size of my hands it seems kind of small, but I have become used to it now. It took about a week to get used to. I use a Logitech mouse at home and on the road and I like Logitech the best.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    I checked out the mouse and I think I will give it a shot.

On a side note, I wish my flights were like yours! :-D having a seat next to you open. Lately with the changes in flights coming and going(also since I am in hawaii). Every flights i have been on pretty much for the 21st century has been packed :-D
  • Reply 3 of 12
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I have the extra battery and I use it alot. You might want to check out

http://www.seatguru.com/

to see if your flight will have seats that have power outlets. Then pick one of those seats if you can. While in flight I use the trackpad because of the lack of room on the tray table and the seats. Planes are very noisy. You might want to also consider noise cancelling headphones or maybe an amp for regular headphones to increase the volume.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Get a security cable for your laptop. Whether it's one with a combination or one with a key (which I'd personally recommend), it's a must have when you leave it in your dorm or even take it to the library for a few hours.

In college, when I'd need to go get a book or something, I would lock the laptop to the work cubby and then put the laptop in it's bag and lock the bag closed with a high-quality luggage lock. It gave me enough peace of mind to walk away for a *couple* of minutes to get the books I need and then return. Obviously it's up to you.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    reg: I checked the site but I fly JAL usually so they didn't have a listing for them. Also I agree on the noise cancelling head phones. My Dad travels once a month so he has amassed a collection of head phones and I use his older Bose set now. Works good and really helps on the plane.

Cosmonut: I have never shopped for a lock like that before. Can you recommend any? sounds like something I could use because now I pretty much pack up my whole bag every time I go to pee or look for a magazine at the library.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

reg: I checked the site but I fly JAL usually so they didn't have a listing for them. Also I agree on the noise cancelling head phones. My Dad travels once a month so he has amassed a collection of head phones and I use his older Bose set now. Works good and really helps on the plane.

Cosmonut: I have never shopped for a lock like that before. Can you recommend any? sounds like something I could use because now I pretty much pack up my whole bag every time I go to pee or look for a magazine at the library.

i've always bought Kensington brand locks for my Titanium, it's more of a deterrent but buying a reputable brand gives you peace of mind

noise cancelling headphones, sweet.

given your seat space concerns i'd stick to the trackpad... less stuff to fiddle around with as well when on a plane, just pop open the laptop and you're in...!

you could check out www.igo.com if you might consider buying a non-Apple-branded extra battery
  • Reply 7 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Kensington locks work well. I haven't bought one in a while, but I would recommend a keyed lock.

Finally, make sure that you get a lock that's able to be custom fit to the depth of the slot opening. Different laptops have different slot depths, so you'll want to get a lock that can use spacers to keep the lock snug to the laptop.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I just remembered the last issue of macworld had a special on powerbooks and traveling ect. The lock they recommended was the PC Guardian combolock($40 or so). They said that it was the best one since most other brands are easy to open up with just a paper clip or something. The next choice for me would be the kensington I guess because they are so well known for their locks. But I agree on primarily it would be anything just as a visual deterrent. Considering my laptop cost more then my car, I ain't taking any chances(not that the laptop is expensive...just my car is that much of a heap of crap).

EDIT: I checked the igo.com web site or whatever...the powerbook batteries cost more then the ones from Apple. Do they last longer or are they just expensive?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

EDIT: I checked the igo.com web site or whatever...the powerbook batteries cost more then the ones from Apple. Do they last longer or are they just expensive?

there are various non-apple brands for powerbook which may last longer (hence the only reason they would be more expensive, sorry, don't know much else about this... it's funny how the iGo website doesn't have anything about whether it lasts longer than apple or whatever...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    scooterboyscooterboy Posts: 69member
    Quote:

iGo notebook replacement batteries are designed to outperform in both runtime and durability the battery that came with the notebook.

iGo Find Battery

They only list a battery for the "original PowerBook G4".
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scooterboy

iGo Find Battery

They only list a battery for the "original PowerBook G4".

yeah that sucks...

try these kids

http://www.powermax.com/search/searc...search=battery

and this

http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/g....cgi?p=a-52096

"If you're an experienced laptop user, you know that the quoted length of time batteries are supposed to operate seems like a pipe dream. So we searched high and low for a better battery, and found the most powerful battery in the world for the PowerBook. Rated at 4400MAH at 14.8 volts, this special battery will last longer than any battery we've ever seen. The Apple battery, for example, is rated at 3750MAH and 50 watts.

100% original manufacturer compatible

One year warranty"
  • Reply 12 of 12
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    I am very fond of a Targus mouse http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...p?sku=PAUM004U it is about half the size of a regular mouse yet still comfortable. I agree with others if you buy a laptop get a lock it's amazing how many laptops are stolen because the thief was able to just pick it up and drop it in a bag.