Computer Name

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm interested in hearing what you people have set your computer names to. Hopefully, you all know how to change it from "{First Name} {Last Name}'s Computer"

Being a Star Wars geek, I called my MacMini Revan (KOTOR I). My old PC is named Maul and my Linux server is called Sidious.

Anybody else have a cool computer name?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    My brand new PB is called Eccentrica (as in Eccentrica Gallumbits from Eroticon 6). My old laptop was called Marvin. And my Linux box is called Deepthought. Hmmm... a theme perhaps?
  • Reply 2 of 32
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Mine is Jane, from Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sequel to Ender's Game)
  • Reply 3 of 32
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Interesting so many of you (us?) run linux. Kewl.

My TiBook 867mhz is Romulus and my old Wallstreet G3 292mhz laptop was called Remus before it was put to rest.

Romulus and Remus are the mythical founders of Rome. I have some seriously long-term plans AFA fine art on computers, and 'all Rome was not built in a day' if you get my drift.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    dylanw23dylanw23 Posts: 54member
    My old G4 was called Urizen and my iBook was called Albion, both from William Blake. My iMac G5 is called Norton, after Joshua Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico.
  • Reply 5 of 32
  • Reply 6 of 32
    fieldyfieldy Posts: 31member
    My PowerBook is called Domokun.

My iBook is called DoughBoy

My work G4 is just my name so it allows people to find me easily on the network.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by wgauvin

My brand new PB is called Eccentrica (as in Eccentrica Gallumbits from Eroticon 6). My old laptop was called Marvin. And my Linux box is called Deepthought. Hmmm... a theme perhaps?

So the OLD laptop was rather depressing, eh ?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Not depressing, depressed.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    My Imac's name is vicki. namely from th voice that is used to talk to me is named vicki, so i thought, what a better name, as for my PB, i havnt figured out a good name at least.. its labled lilith which is unique to me in its own way and thought, perfect name so ill also prolly leave it w/ that.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    GOD

I set my mac's name to God for two reaosons. The biggest reason is if i lock a computer screen with ARD, it will say, " Screen Locked by 'God'"

The other reason is, it is funny for people (including other admins) to be browsing the network and see God listed
  • Reply 11 of 32
    slyinthedamslyinthedam Posts: 102member
    I went with a Deep theme. iMac is Deep-Thought, PB is Deep-Trouble, Airport Deep-Purple, Airport Express is Deep-South, iPod Deep-Shit etc...
  • Reply 12 of 32
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Multiverse, from Isaac Asimov.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    My Sunflower iMac is known as 'Lampy'.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    ragingloogieragingloogie Posts: 426member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slyinthedam

I went with a Deep theme. iMac is Deep-Thought, PB is Deep-Trouble, Airport Deep-Purple, Airport Express is Deep-South, iPod Deep-Shit etc...

i like that.. ipod deep-shit... nice going....
  • Reply 15 of 32
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Several of the computer labs or multi-machine networks I've worked on drew their names in part based on how many machines were in the network.

Common cultural references helped, but often actors or musicians from ensembles contributed easy mnemonic triggers. Mythological names seemed much more popular on campuses than in most web cafes.

Four machines often went old school with John/Paul/George/Ringo.

Seven machine networks were almost always Dwarves.

Eight might get Snow White, but might also choose Reindeer names.

Nine or more machines were likely to get Brady Bunch names. Or add Rudolph.

*you get the picture, I'm sure*

Apple's internal codenames were used when only one of each unique type was present in an office or lab...

I've had PC's named HAL (complete with system sounds from 2001 as error messages)

Haven't decided on a moniker for my Mini yet.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Yeah it was really. Especially in it's dying days, the power connector gave up the ghost. Just a little too early for my liking as I didn't quite have the money ready for this PB, but still it's worth it ;-)
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by eAi

Not depressing, depressed.

You're right on this one to... It was a Gateway, so in a way it was depressed.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Also had to name a lab with 7 computers. I brainstormed and came up with

The Chicago Seven: dellinger hayden rubin davis froines hoffman weiner.

The Seattle Seven (sans Jeffrey Lebowski): Jeff Dowd, Joe Kelly, Susan Stern, Michael Abeles, Michael Lerner, Chip Marshall, Roger Lippman.

Seven USSR Commies: lenin stalin kruschev brezhnev chernenko andropov gorbachev.

The Seven Samurai: Gorobei Kyuzo Heihachi Kambei Kikuchiyo Shichiroji Katsushiro.

Seven Types of Quark as of that Week: down, bottom, strange, up, top, charmed, "strange quark matter"

My Favorite: Number One, Number Two, The New Number Two, Number Three, Number Four, Number Five, I Am Not A Number--I'M A FREE MAN!!!

Six States in New England: (CT VT RI MA NH ME). Make One Up.

Seven Continents. (Look em up yourself.)

The Seven Sins: lust, anger, sloth, pride, gluttony, envy, and covetousness.

On my PB I've got PV. As in Paul Valéry. See my new-fangled sig.

--B
  • Reply 19 of 32
    dylanw23dylanw23 Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Seven Types of Quark as of that Week: down, bottom, strange, up, top, charmed, "strange quark matter"

[/B]

I have a friend who was the systems administrator at a university physics department. He used this scheme for his servers because it allowed him to announce that "Up is down, but Down is up." Not that any of his servers ever went down much.

• Reply 20 of 32
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    mine's named "ßlackshadow." i thought it was badass at the time.