Your Ride (Bicycles) Pics

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    not the right color, but here's mine...

• Reply 22 of 81
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

I miss that bike. Still looking out for it a year later.

I remember that. You were a sad boy.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

I tihnk I do.. what year was that?

flick.

Oh yes and I'd like to say that those stupid popup dials Shimano have put on their shifters recently. OMFG, GAY GAY GAY! (no offence to gays intended!)

I want XT thumbshifters.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Wow blast from the past!

XT top mounts were so good.. even years after thumb shifters were offered throughout Shimano lines I continued to move my XT thumb shifters from bike to bike.. indestructible!

the XTR I have on my Softtail has proven indestructible too.. I'm very happy.. and yeah the little indicators?? if you don't know what gear your in.. buy a car.

flick.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    My current ride is a 1999 GT Tempest MTB, which would've been very entry level for it's time. It cost me close to $1000 Canadian dollars and doesn't have any decent components.

Oh well, it's probably got 5000+ miles on it so it has served me well.

Any recommendations for a decent replacement MTB in the $600 USD price range? Hardtail with decent components (maybe LX or a mix of LX/XT)
  • Reply 26 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

My current ride is a 1999 GT Tempest MTB, which would've been very entry level for it's time. It cost me close to $1000 Canadian dollars and doesn't have any decent components.

Oh well, it's probably got 5000+ miles on it so it has served me well.

Any recommendations for a decent replacement MTB in the $600 USD price range? Hardtail with decent components (maybe LX or a mix of LX/XT)

you can't go wrong with Kona.

flick.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Here's mine...

Muddyfox Rogue. Hardtail with pretty decent spec and not so hard on the wallet. Perfect for city and dirt trail... you'll not catch me trying to head up a mountain. . (won What MTB bike of the year).
  • Reply 28 of 81
    Quote:

flick.

I don't know about in the US, but here in the UK you can buy a last years model bike for virtually half the price...of course, it will probably come flat packed and need a bit of adjusting and assembly, but if you're good with this kind of thing, you can get a great bargain.

If you can get a £1500 bike for £800, you could even pay a mechanic £200 to do a decent set up for you and save a huge wedge.

And the sun outside is lovely at the moment, but I have no bike...
  • Reply 29 of 81
    slyinthedamslyinthedam Posts: 102member
    Nice Thread. Here's my goood bike:

Specialized, Sirus Pro. Love it.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Ok Here are the images of my two bikes.

Hand built by one guy in British Columbia Canada:

Dekerf Softail or Synthesis:

the chain stays are titanium and flex giving the rear 1.5 inches give it a really smooth ride. The Super light rock shock SIDs on the front lock out with a thumb shift so you can kill the suspension for climbing.. the bike weighs in just over 24lbs. Yeah I got a flat.. I know..

(view 1600x1200)

Dekerf Solitude or Single speed:

The single speed is just that.. mid range parts.

I think it weighs 22.. maybe less. anyway it climbs like a champ.

I picked the semi gloss black.

(view 1600x1200)

anyway now you know what I ride..

flick.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    mikemike Posts: 138member
    Just got back into cycling after not riding for a few years.

My new road bike is a 2004 Trek Madone...really nice bike Full DuraAce w/ Look Carbon Pedals.

(stock photo)

My MTN bike is an older Trek Y-33 running full XT. Not a bad bike but I am going back to a hardtail after I loose 20 lbs.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    Wow thats a great road bike.

I have really been thinking about getting one.

flick.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    mikemike Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Wow thats a great road bike.

I have really been thinking about getting one.

flick.

It is one of the best road bikes I have ever ridden. Very quick and fast. I grew up road racing and just can not get road riding out of my blood. EXTREMELY stiff frame and VERY light...it would be hard to beat the ride of the Madone. Not sure how it compares to the new Madone line-up though as they have some new models.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Quote:

flick.

Any thoughts about the Kona Cinder Cone? This might be my new bike.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    Quote:

Any thoughts about the Kona Cinder Cone? This might be my new bike.

The Cinder Cone is what gets my friend Bart through his day.

Bart is a courier and he rides the sh!t out of it.. kona make great frames that you can build around. buy the frame you want with the parts you can afford and go from there.. I used to recommend Rocky mountain but they have lost the "Canadian" touch they once had. Kona is really the only production bike I would recommend.

The advice i give to anyone is buy the frame you can afford even though the part are not the best and upgrade around it. If you want to really be a great mountain biker I always preach ride ridged first lear the line. Get graceful and buy around your skills. NEVER buy full suspension right off. hammering over a trail will never teach you to respect the land or make you a great rider.. Picking the best line will. anyway...

Choose the kona frame you can aford and build around that...

flick.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    Thanks for the info... prior to this thread, I had never heard of the brand Kona. The Cinder Cone is at the extreme end of my budget so I couldn't possibly go any higher than that. If I can scrape the funds together, I should be able to have it within the next 4-6 weeks.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    Quote:

Thanks for the info... prior to this thread, I had never heard of the brand Kona. The Cinder Cone is at the extreme end of my budget so I couldn't possibly go any higher than that. If I can scrape the funds together, I should be able to have it within the next 4-6 weeks.

It is completely my pleasure.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy that bike for a really long time..

Happy trails , tread lightly and respect other trail users.

Have fun.. Post some photos when you get it!.

flick.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

I havn't cycled for about 8 years now, and was thinking of getting back into it, but I'm like WTF has happened to the bikes?

Heheh... tell me about it.

I'm now riding a bike with 2.7" tires, 8" rotors, hydraulic disc brakes, solid axles, and 7 inches of travel on both wheels! Yes, I have a love affair with my santa cruz bullit.

Me, in the park next to my house:

(Hmmm, now that I think about it, time to go ride)

• Reply 39 of 81
    I'm not sure about all this Kona worship, yes they are very very good bikes as Flick says, but the problem with them, and I speak from experience owning an Explosiv and Lavadome, is that because of the hugely sloping top tube, it is hard to get one that fits properly.

I guess it depends on your style of riding, I like a low aerodynamic pose, sacrificing some handling (but I was so skilled it didn't matter ) and I found this hard to achieve on a Kona.

If I was going to get another Kona, I would definately extend the seat tube to within an inch of maximum, and size the bike to me in this position.

I can tell straight from the photos, who's a biker and who's not, obviously Flicks a hardcore biker, you can tell by the relationship of his saddle height to his handlebar height if nothing else he told you gave it away.

This is hard to achieve on a Kona, even if its just slightly the wrong size frame, you have to size Kona's very carefully.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    this bike doesnt look to bad, and ive been searching for a new bike also, and i didnt think this was half bad....

http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...=14&itemid=132