Is Final Cut Pro 5 Shipping?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
If so, has anyone here had a chance to play around with it?

* Edit *

Never mind, just saw that it's shipping in 4-6 weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i obviously haven't played around with it, but if you have Final Cut HD and a high end system, Final Cut 5 is a waste of money. unless you do lots of HD. then it's still a waste of money. i'm waiting til 2006.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i obviously haven't played around with it, but if you have Final Cut HD and a high end system, Final Cut 5 is a waste of money. unless you do lots of HD. then it's still a waste of money. i'm waiting til 2006.

I completely dissagree, there are many great new features.

The multicamera support may be enough for some users to upgrade (not for me, but Ill be happy to get it). Dynamic RT is kinda cool, but I was dissapointed that Core Video wasnt used. For me, integration with Soundtrack Pro will be the coolest new feature...

And lets not forget Compressor 2, though this is kinda more a feature of the entire suite rather than FCP alone.

And hopefully the problems with storing project files on an Xsan volume will be solved (Im pretty ticked about this).

• Reply 3 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Multicamera support was the single thing preventing Final Cut from being a veritable competitor in the heavyweight cinema and TV editing market, and now it has it, along with increased integration with the other Final Cut Studio apps. I'd say that's pretty big.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Multicamera support was the single thing preventing Final Cut from being a veritable competitor in the heavyweight cinema and TV editing market, and now it has it, along with increased integration with the other Final Cut Studio apps. I'd say that's pretty big.

multicam is great, except that you cant do anything else to the clips. for what i do, i would love to be able to use the multicam feature to cut my piece, then split the multicam clip back into its separate tracks to picture in picture work or tighten up edits. as it exists now, you make a multicam clip of the x amount of tracks you want to cut, then the exist as a multicam clip forever. thats really dumb.

as i was saying if you have a high-end machine, this isnt a big update. the point of dynamic real-time is to instantly scale the quality to the abilities of your machine. if you've got loads of ram and processing power, your normal real-time is already really good.

i personally dont want to pay $700 to get soundtrack pro and compressor 2, both of which will be updated in a year at NAB.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Let us not jump to conclusions.

If Wilco has FCP 4.5 then whether or not to upgrade is a choice decision. However if he's running FCP 3 then it's a no brainer

ipodandimac you're thinking about the upgrade to Final Cut Pro Studio which is $699. The FCP 5 upgrade from a prior version is just $399.

I'm sure Core Image support is only an update or two away. I'm sure we'll see a FCP 5.x that enabled Core Image/Video in Tiger systems.

We already know that DVD Studio Pro has features that won't be ready until 10.4.x and DVD Player 4.6. No reason to think that we won't see some Tiger enabled features hit in the near future.