Cool spotlight idea

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The idea is: custom Spotlight search categories. In the Spotlight search pane, you should be able to define new categories that appear under your Spotlight search (Movies, Mail messages, Preferences, etc). You would define these custom categories by file extension, place on your harddrive, or other aspects. For example, one could make a Web Files search category that returns all HTML and PHP files.

Do it, Apple!

(btw, if there already is such a thing, don't kill me; I was only in the Apple Store with Tiger for ten minutes)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I wonder if we have to wait for 10.5 before there are any other additions to Spotlight, because it's quite obvious that there is so much Apple can do with it and expand on.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I wonder if we have to wait for 10.5 before there are any other additions to Spotlight, because it's quite obvious that there is so much Apple can do with it and expand on.

I think that every few point updates of Tiger will bring a new feature, since there's so much groundwork that Apple has laid.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I hope so - there weren't any new features added with any of the point releases on Panther - just fit and finish.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

- just fit and finish.

Which tiger could use 3 or four point releases of...I find tiger to be slower and buggier than 10.3.9, Take QT7, My Macmini could play h.264 with much better proformance under Panther.9 than Tiger.0 and over all system proformance was faster too

Tiger is great, it just needs a lot of tweaking, this should never have been the final GM, final RC maybe but there are too many quirks in tiger's retail release for my taste, that said, I love it and will not go back to panther, I just hope they speed it up.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    A point release for Panther brough the feature to show you the battery charge for your UPS you have connected. Or so I thought it was a point release