Dual G5 2.0 GHz vs Dual DDR G4 867 MHz

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, I know the question may sounds stupid, but I'm asking it anyway.

I currently own a Dual G4 867 MHz DDR, with 1.5 GB ram, Panther 10.3.9 and the ATI Radeon 9800Pro video card (128 MB vram).

I'm using many big apps at the same time, and I can put the machine on its knees pretty easily, with Mail, Safari, iTunes, Photoshop, Cheetah3D, Celestia, and many others, all running at the same time. I also play Quake3. So now, I'm thinking about changing the computer to a new dual G5, most probably the 2.0 GHz with 2.5 GB ram, Tiger, and the ATI 9600 video card (128 MB vram). What can I expect in speed differences ?

What differences can I expect between the ATI 9800Pro (128 MB) in my dual G4 driving the Apple 17" LCD and the ATI 9600 (128 MB) in the dual G5 driving the new Apple 20" LCD ?

Also, is the dual G5 2.7 GHz really worth the $ difference, compared with the 2.0 GHz ? I don't do any video editing, but Celestia is a very demanding software, all system wide, and I'm wondering if the 2.0 GHz system should be enough. Cash isn't really a big concern, but if I can save about 1000$CAN with the 2.0 GHz, I would be happy. What do you think ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    telekontelekon Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

Okay, I know the question may sounds stupid, but I'm asking it anyway.

I currently own a Dual G4 867 MHz DDR, with 1.5 GB ram, Panther 10.3.9 and the ATI Radeon 9800Pro video card (128 MB vram).

I'm using many big apps at the same time, and I can put the machine on its knees pretty easily, with Mail, Safari, iTunes, Photoshop, Cheetah3D, Celestia, and many others, all running at the same time. I also play Quake3. So now, I'm thinking about changing the computer to a new dual G5, most probably the 2.0 GHz with 2.5 GB ram, Tiger, and the ATI 9600 video card (128 MB vram). What can I expect in speed differences ?

What differences can I expect between the ATI 9800Pro (128 MB) in my dual G4 driving the Apple 17" LCD and the ATI 9600 (128 MB) in the dual G5 driving the new Apple 20" LCD ?

Also, is the dual G5 2.7 GHz really worth the $ difference, compared with the 2.0 GHz ? I don't do any video editing, but Celestia is a very demanding software, all system wide, and I'm wondering if the 2.0 GHz system should be enough. Cash isn't really a big concern, but if I can save about 1000$CAN with the 2.0 GHz, I would be happy. What do you think ?

I have the same G4 and have used the G5 1.8MP extesively at work. The speed differences in Photoshop are very noticable, as are launch times on apps. I don't know if the 2.7 is worth the extra, but I would suggest probably getting the 2.3 with a Radeon 9650 upgrade ( to aid Quake).

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Thanks for the reply.

I guess you're talking about the single 1.8 GHz G5 ? If so, the speed diff should be much greater with the dual 2.0 GHz G5.

Do the ATI 9600 and 9650 able to do full screen antialiasing ? The 9800Pro on my G4 is doing very nice antialiasing, in Celestia, Cheetah3D and Quake, and I don't want to lose that.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

I guess you're talking about the single 1.8 GHz G5 ? If so, the speed diff should be much greater with the dual 2.0 GHz G5.

Do the ATI 9600 and 9650 able to do full screen antialiasing ? The 9800Pro on my G4 is doing very nice antialiasing, in Celestia, Cheetah3D and Quake, and I don't want to lose that.

I have the Rev. B Dual 2.0Ghz with 2.5GB RAM and the ATI 9600XT (128 vRAM). If you want me to run some tests for you I will be happy to just let me know. I have access to the creative suite 2 and everything else since that is my major...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    O4BlackWRX,

can you make any comments about Tiger on your G5 2.0 GHz ? Also, can you run any comparison tests with any dual G4 ?

Especially, what about your video card performances ? Do you have antialiasing ?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Quote:

O4BlackWRX,

can you make any comments about Tiger on your G5 2.0 GHz ? Also, can you run any comparison tests with any dual G4 ?

Especially, what about your video card performances ? Do you have antialiasing ?

Tiger is blazingly fast compared to Panther on my G5. I don't know why but the entire operating system seems a lot faster and I know stuffit is faster expanding. Spotlight is almost instantaneous. The only Dual G4 that I can compare it to is a Dual G4 500Mhz that I have access to but it is currently the Server for a Graphics company so I can't really run many tests on it. I still have an iMac G4 800mhz and this thing is like hundreds times faster but then again I guess it should be. I play Doom 3 with everything on High and it runs like a champ. I do apply filters in Photoshop in seconds. Personally if I was you get a Rev. B like mine, as you will see in your other thread and you will never ever regret it. Then you can turn your old G4 into a Server, something I wish I had... If you want me to run a test on mine and you can compute it on yours I'll be more then willing.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks O4BlackWRX.

I'll probably get the new dual 2.0 GHz. I don't think I'll never need PCI-X, and more than 4 GB of ram (but who knows !?).

1- What is the noise level of your G5 machine ? Can you make any comparison with other dual G4 ?

2- Do you have FSAA (Full Scene Antialiasing) ?

I'm wondering what are the uses of PCI-X ?