apple wireless keyboards and mice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Are both the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse good? How long do the batteries last? I noticed that there are no ratings available for these items on the Apple Store website. The battery thing seems like it can be a turn-off, don't you know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i've had pretty good luck with them. they obviously lose connections every now and hen because they're bluetooth, but it's not a big issue for me (we're talking maybe once a week, and all you have to do is log out and it reconnects). oh, and that's in panther, not tiger. in terms of battery life, the keyboard is excellent. i replace those batteries maybe every 3 months, if that. the mouse, under heavy use, needs new batteries once a month, but i sometimes get 6 weeks or so. the brand of battery makes a huge difference. i personally really like the bluetooth set. some people say there are delays, but if you're not a gamer i don't see how there is any lag. while i'm typing this, the letters come up just as fast as using a usb keyboard. so, if you're looking for ratings, i would give the set a 4 out of 5. excellent products, but you have to change batteries every so often. for me though, not have wires is a huge luxury that is worth every penny i've spent on the keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    I have the BT keyboard and have only had it lose the connection twice since I connected it. The second time actually happened this past week (I have had the keyboard since January 21st). Using Tiger, nothing seems to have changed, compatability wise. Also, for me, the battery shows in preferences as 4 out of 5 bars. So, I would say you will be very satisfied with battery life with this keyboard and same goes for connection time.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Overall I've had great experiences with my Apple wireless products. I use the Apple wireless mouse as my primary mouse.

I don't use my wireless keyboard for two reasons: (1) I spilled wine in it and (2) I like the extra USB ports my wired keyboard provides. (If only I had the aluminum cinema display rather than the older ADC model... but that's another discussion.) I might just buy another wireless keyboard and start using it again.

When the hardware first came out I had a few issues with loss of signal and things like that, but firmware updates solved all my problems a long time ago.

Battery life for me has been great. I don't use these products 24/7 as this is my home machine, but I still use them a ton and I don't recall the last time I swapped batteries.

The only time I use a different mouse is when I'm gaming. Some games practically require a multi-button mouse and so I want to purchase an MX1000 for those situations.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    thortsthorts Posts: 13member
    My folks are getting the wireless set with their new iMac. For those of you getting such good life from your batteries, are you turning the devices off at all, or just letting them go to sleep?

Thanks in advance.

Sean
  • Reply 5 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I put my machine to sleep at night and when I'm at work. I wake it by either slapping the keyboard or the mouse.

I don't recall the battery life in the keyboard, but I think it was not as good as the mouse. I think the mouse's battery life is good.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    I don't do anything special for the keyboard. I put my computer to sleep.. that's it! I admit, I do not really move the keyboard much. The further away you move the keyboard the more battery it is going to use. So, if you plan on having it in in different positions and a bit further away, don't expect as good a battery life.