Website on mac, html form, executing .pl file and I can't get it to work. :-)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I host a small website on iMac running 10.4.

I want to add a form so people can submit comments and then hit the submit button and the results be emailed to me. I do not want to use the mailto: command invoking the users email program because a lot of people use webmail these days.

When they hit submit button, I want my mac to send me an email showing me contents of the one text box.

This is absolutely nothing fancy and I only have one text box labeled "dirt", one submit button, and one reset button.

I downloaded a mailto.pl and placed it in my root directory of my site. I also created a folder named cgi-bin and placed it in there and I get the same result (see below).

I enter a few letters of text and hit submit. The result I get is a new Safari window opened up showing the contents of the mailto.pl file.

Am I missing something here? Why won't my mac execute the .pl file?

I need help, I have been at this 6 hours today and I am getting tired.

I use dreamweavermx 2004 if it matters

Regards

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    magicfingersmagicfingers Posts: 703member
    you may need to enable CGI in apache. There is some decent info HERE

you should already have a CGI-Executables folder in Library/WebServer.

I believe that is where apache expects it.

There is a script that may work for you EZ Form Mailer. And as usual you'll need to set up the script...

good luck... Randy
  • Reply 2 of 3
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    yes, I tried placing my script there in the CGI-Executable folder but when i hit the submit button it said it couldn't access the file.

Another thing I have noticed is that after the move to tiger, my apache links from the faq that is installed automatically on your computer are broken.

Thanks for the help and I will report back my results.

Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

you may need to enable CGI in apache. There is some decent info HERE

you should already have a CGI-Executables folder in Library/WebServer.

I believe that is where apache expects it.

There is a script that may work for you EZ Form Mailer. And as usual you'll need to set up the script...

good luck... Randy

• Reply 3 of 3
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Do the permissions on the script allow apache to execute it?

If not you'll have to do "chown www (name of file).pl" (apache runs as user "www"), and then "chmod 774 (name of file).pl"