A ton of switcher questions :)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi folks, well I've been waiting for the Rev.B iMac G5 for some time now, and here it is, so next bonus from work I think I may be picking one up.

Before I shift over from PC land, I have plenty of questions which I hope you kind sorts can answer for me. Stuff I use a lot on PC and would need replicated on the iMac...

1 - Can I capture frames from DVD movies? On PC I use Power DVD, and just hit 'c' to drop a snapshot onto the HD. No fuss, it just works.

2 - Do I need third party software to burn DVDs? Mostly data discs but sometimes ISOs too.

3 - Can I change the DVD player's region code? On PC I use a little app called SlySoft AnyDVD. A couple of clicks and it will change Windows' region code.

4 - What is the best Newsreader on the Mac? Something that can handle lots of binaries and yEnc. I use Agent on the PC.

5 - What is the best FTP client on the Mac? I use CuteFTP on the PC.

6 - And can I get MIRC for the Mac?

7 - I gather the best media player on the Mac is VLC. Does this handle soft subs (the Matroska stuff)? And how about playing Windows Media 9 content?

8 - My PC is a 3ghz P4, how will I find the speed of a 2ghz iMac by comparison, take for example, the performance of MAME or MP3 encoding.

9 - Will I be able to move my iTunes MP3s over to the iMac easily? Inc the cover art and the music bought on the iTMS?

10 - Should I expect any problems networking my PC to the new iMac? They'll both be feeding from the same router, and will need to see each other to transfer files. The PC runs Win XP Home.

11 - How are the Mac versions of Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, and ICQ? Used for both instant messaging and voice chat. Video chat someday too if I ever get round to buying a webcam.

Those are probably only for starters, sorry! When I think about just how much I do on the PC, and how much I will have to replicate...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Ok here goes (loads of questions btw!):

1. Yes you can, you can copy frames but they aren't automatically put onto your desktop, you have to do that yourself (don't worry easy enough).

2. Nope you can burn DVDs just fine, even ISOs with Disk Utility application that comes with your Mac.

3. Yes you can, but I only did this under Mac OS 10.3, but it should be doable in Tiger.

7. I've played films in VLC with soft subs, so the answer is yes, as for WMP support it doesn't as far as I'm aware.

8. A 2Ghz G5 is fast, just wait until you get it.

9. Yes I did this from an external HD two weeks ago with no problems.

10. Should be fine, but Windows can be temperamental.

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    tofachinotofachino Posts: 69member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kotatsu

11 - How are the Mac versions of Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, and ICQ? Used for both instant messaging and voice chat. Video chat someday too if I ever get round to buying a webcam.

MSN sucks on Macs! no voice chat no webcam. not sure about the other 2.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Ok here goes (loads of questions btw!):

1. Yes you can, you can copy frames but they aren't automatically put onto your desktop, you have to do that yourself (don't worry easy enough).

3. Yes you can, but I only did this under Mac OS 10.3, but it should be doable in Tiger.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Could you go into some more detail with the points above please? Although I used to own a Mac many years ago, I've never used OSX so am basically a newbie now.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    1. Well ok, it was easy under OS X Panther but now it says "in order to use screen grab please quit the DVD Player first" in Tiger, so if someone doesn't give you a method you'll have to wait (it's late and I have an exam tomorrow )

2. I used an application called Region X but I have had no need to see if this will work in Tiger, nor do I know if it will in your iMac. Perhaps someone else can enlighten you on this one.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Just about anything except Apple's built in screenshot will work on the DVD screen. SnapZ Pro does, and there is at least another one that's freeware.

People are pleased with Transmit for FTP and Unison for newsreader. I think there is a whole thread on FTP apps somewhere on this site.

The thing to do is go to VersionTracker.com and click Mac OS X and search for newsreader and FTP, and whatever else. Lots of freeware there too.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    AdiumX is a very good instant messenger client for MSN, AOL and Yahoo! It supports pictures in MSN and other features.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Okay thanks guys, that answers most of my questions.

I've heard of Adium X but have never used it. Does it allow voice and video chat over MSN and Yahoo?

Looks like I'll have to look into the firmware stuff for the iMac's super drive.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Okay thanks guys, that answers most of my questions.

I've heard of Adium X but have never used it. Does it allow voice and video chat over MSN and Yahoo?

Looks like I'll have to look into the firmware stuff for the iMac's super drive.

At the moment voice isn't enabled but that should be coming in future builds - with video as well. Still Yahoo don't have a Mac messenger and MSN doesn't support audio either.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

At the moment voice isn't enabled but that should be coming in future builds - with video as well. Still Yahoo don't have a Mac messenger and MSN doesn't support audio either.

That's a bit disappointing. I had hoped I would be able to replicate my PC stuff on the Mac by and large.

There is a version of Yahoo Messenger for the Mac BTW. The version number is miles behind the PC.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/messenger/download/mac.html
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

That's a bit disappointing. I had hoped I would be able to replicate my PC stuff on the Mac by and large.

There is a version of Yahoo Messenger for the Mac BTW. The version number is miles behind the PC.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/messenger/download/mac.html

AOL supports voice so you can use that. Yahoo messenger for mac must be new since i last looked - it looks like it supports video as well.