new iMac g5 or a PowerBook g4?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My first post! Here it goes...

I'm definitely switching; I'm purchasing a Mac within the next two months. I'm unsure whether or not it should be the 2nd gen iMac or the PowerBook (15"). It seems like the iMac has superior specs all way round, but I'm heading into clinic this year (Chiropractic intern) and I could really use the portability of the powerbook.

I'm trying to weigh pro's/cons and was wondering which computer would last me the longest, had the best value and potentially re-sale value... I'm leaning towards the iMac because it seems to be superior system but I could really use the portability... Any info regarding future powerbook updates and such? I know they just came out with the 1.67Mhz... Just wondering what you guys think and your personal experiences with either machine.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Well I've had my Powerbook (my third mac) for 8 months or so now, and I don't regret buying it one bit. What you have to do is honestly ask yourself when you would take your Powerbook around with you.

As I use the internet all the time, I only really take my Powerbook where I can get an internet connection. So the portability isn't really essential to me, but it is a nice luxury. Also the battery depending on how you use your Powerbook don't last a very long time, however the power cord is very small and you should be able to take that along with your Powerbook.

The iMac will probably hold the best value - because the Powerbooks are due for a significant update, unlike the iMacs.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I counted two "I could really use the portability" references, so to me, you're getting the PowerBook. I think you're just looking for someone to agree with you.

The iMac will likely be able to do things a little faster, but as a PowerBook user (15" 1.25 Ghz Al, who is about to pick up a 20" iMac) nothing beats a Mac on the go. Good luck.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Mattyj

I love to surf the net, but at work, I mainly want access my patients' files, various anatomy software and other resources. I could, technically, get a iMac lug bag if I was so inclined, especially if I get the bluetooth keyboard/mouse. The bag would accomodate the 20" monitor and only have the power cord. That's going a little far, but it's nice to know that I could carry the iMac around, if travelling, for example, without too much hassle.

It seems to me like a lot of people are sitting on the fence for a decent PowerBook upgrade... I'm very much leaning to the iMac right now unless someone blows me away with something I haven't considered (or a major flaw in the iMac). The dual layer Superdrive, 250 GIG HD, decent ram (512) good video card, etc... just seem so superior to what a current PowerBook offers.

On separate note, I'm still using a PC, and am trying to learn the subtle differences with respect to Mac hardware. Can someone explain to me if the G5 2.0Ghz is the same as an Intel or AMD 2.0Ghz? Are the the same speed or is the G5 a dual (2x2=4.0Ghz)? Just want some clarification so I can keep up with some of these threads!

EDIT: Hyperbolic Monkey: Tell me why nothing beats it. I really couldn't care surfing in a coffee shop but lugging an Imac to the office ONCE is a while... too impractical? Has anyone ever done this or should I lay off the crack?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Waking the Dead, it would be a good workout, or easy as pie, depending on your physical condition

To me the iMacs scream a good deal, the Powerbooks just don't look appetizing anymore, but they do have the cool factor in spades.

You can't compare processors clock for clock, but a 2Ghz G5 performance wise is strong compared to it's windows counterparts, yes on some tasks it loses, but others it wins. Basically it's best to try it out for yourself, but the overall responsiveness of a Mac, especially a G5, is better than 99% of the Windows systems I've used.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Looks like it's gonna be the refreshed iMac... Luckily I was sitting and waiting for an update on this machine; I was scoping out deals on eBay but thought I'd wait it out! So glad I did, because this machine seems, at least to me, the best update I've seen in a long time and is a very reasonable price!

Another Q) Are the g5's 64 bit processors? I have an HP iPaq 4350 that I synch to a PC. Is this going to be a big hassle if I get a Mac? Do they have active synch, etc? Just wondering...
  • Reply 6 of 14
    scooterboyscooterboy Posts: 69member
    First, Walking the Dead, I'd make sure that all the software you need to run (your various anatomy software, for instance) will run on Mac OS X.

Second, the 17" iMac G5 weighs 18.5 pounds and the 20" iMac weighs 25 lbs. Add to that the weight of the keyboard, mouse, power cable, carrying case, accessories, and anything else you may want to bring with you, and you'll be happy you work for a chiropractor because you're gonna need one!

I think you'll find that the PowerBook G4 is enough computer to suit your needs. It has FW 800, FW 400, DVI out, USB 2.0, ATi Radeon 9700 128 MB vram, WiFi, and most important for a portable computer, weighs a good deal less than an iMac; between 4.6 lbs for the 12" and 7.9 lbs for the 17".

If you only plan to take the iMac to work a few times in a year, it won't be a big deal. But if you make a habit of taking your computer with you, you'll be glad you chose a PowerBook, or any other laptop computer.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    scooterboyscooterboy Posts: 69member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Waking the Dead

Another Q) Are the g5's 64 bit processors?

Yes, the G5 is a 64 bit processor. And the iMacs only come with single CPU's, not dual.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Scooterboy

Thanks for the info re: the g5 processor. Obviously lugging the iMac would be a hassle and I would definitely get a PowerBook if it didn't look so dated. As it stands, I simply think the new iMac has SO MUCH more going for it in terms of raw power (better superdrive, processor, screen, ram, processor, video card, etc...). The only redeeming quality of the PowerBook (this incarnation anyways) is the portability. If I knew Apple was planning a worthwhile update, say within the next 6 months, I'd hold off and then make my decision then.

From what I read, Apple recently refreshed the PB and it still seems like mediocre compared to the latest iMac. I don't want to look at a Windows based laptop, so I don't have many options!

FEK!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    Yes perhaps the I mac seems to be the more robust machine right now, but i would definitely wait a bit for the new powerBooks. You just can't beat the portability factor, even if it's just from room to room. I personally just couldn't deal with using my computer in one spot. Sure the i mac is somewhat portable in it's design, but it's not the same. I'm using an "antiquated" 1.5 GHz Power Book G4, and right now i'm laying on my couch, typing this sentence, burning a Fiery Furnaces album, and listening to a track I created in Garageband, and I feel really good about it. Good Luck.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    thortsthorts Posts: 13member
    Waking,

The new iMacs are great machines. They also have a G5 cpu, which can take advantage of the new features in QuickTime 7 (the powebook's G4 gives only about 5 frames per second on the movie trailers at Apple.com, for example), and the G5 runs Tiger well.

I have a 1 Gig TiBook. While Tiger starts to chug a little when several programs (esp. iChat) are open, that may not be the case for the newer models.

There is one thing to consider: as a fellow medical prof., will you be making presentations during or after your training? I use my powerbook 2 times per week to present at conferences, teaching, etc. If you need that kind functionality, a portable is the only way to go. Waiting for the G5 advantages in a powerbook is going to be a long wait yet, from what Apple is saying...at least the first of next year (although never believe claims of when new products will be available).

Although I love the new iMacs, I will never go back to a desktop. YMMV.

Sean
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Thorts, just for the record, my Powerbook (look at sig) can run HD 720 media at about 15fps, so not as bad as you think. The new Powerbooks are only going to be faster. (I do also have my mobility Radeon 9700 card overclocked quite a bit.)

I'd buy the iMac. It will last longer. The G4s are only going to get more and more bogged down (High Definition Video being an example) The G5s on the other hand, will last much longer, and keep value better.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Thorts, Mattyj and the gang!

Thanks for your valuable input... I don't foresee myself doing any presentations for the next little while (I am simpy an intern for the next year and might apply for my sports fellowship the following year) Anyways back to it:

I'm going to go with the new iMac. Its a great machine at great value, and the G5 can handle the new 64 bit applications which are going to be the norm sooner than later. If the PowerBook were going to get a refresh soon thereby making it somewhat competitive in terms of hardware, I might consider otherwise. For the time being, I have an HP Ipaq 4350 PPC and with it's WIFI and Bluetooth features will provide all I really need on a day-to-day basis in clinic (appointments, contacts, and quick browsing of the net if need be). That being said, I'd LOVE to order the new iMac today, but seeing as I have one last Module to go and then clinic entrance exams this month and, knowing myself, I would be spending WAY too much time getting to know my Mac.

That leads me into my next question: any former PC'ers out there who have switched but couldn't use some former software? I just realized that I'm going to have to purchase a new app to synch my pocket PC with my mac

Luckily I have a connection who will provide me with Office 2004 and other staples, but I've noticed the little things, like google toolbar and such aren't available for the Mac. Hopefully Spotlight will take care of the need for the google desktop app. Anyways, sorry for rambling (yet again) and thanks for the input!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    teufelteufel Posts: 24member
    As for syncing with Pocket PC, as someone stole my SE P900, and i had to buy something fast, i made the mistake of buying one. I then dowloaded for 35 $ Pocket Mac Pro, which syncs perfectly between the two worlds. You can even put pictures from iPhoto on to your Pocket PC.

So, no problem, you don't need to throw away your iPaq, even if in fact i beleive you should (i'm waiting for the next series of symbian machines to buy something less ackward).

Best, Pierre
  • Reply 14 of 14
    stustanleystustanley Posts: 236member
    just a quick note about the google toolbar (in ie). In safari its built it.

Spotlight is a more integrated verion of google desktop serach.

For almost every program on pc, there is a mac equivelent, normally as good sometimes miles better and alot can be done with freeware and shareware on mac where there seems to be a huge variety of stuff.

stu