Anybody get a new 2ghz iMac yet?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Mine's still on backorder at MacMall. I was wondering if we have any real-world experiences yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    leighleigh Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tekriter

Mine's still on backorder at MacMall. I was wondering if we have any real-world experiences yet.

Hey There, I've got mine here on the Isle of Wight in the UK. Just received my iMac 2ghz on Saturday. It shipped from Apple's Ireland Distribution centre late Wednesday night and I collected it on Friday. I have to say it's amazing! The graphics are fab - especially the ripple effect when adding dashboard widgets. iPhoto is just amazingingly quick and the graphics are superb too. Not a single dead pixel on the screen, the utility for moving software from an old iMac work flawlessly - I moved 8+ users - about 8 Gigs in a few hours. Startup time is literally seconds from switchon. Added a Gig of ram from crucial to bring the installed total to 1.5 and I have to say its a really good buy. Hope you have as much enjoyment when you get yours!
  • Reply 2 of 41
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leigh

Hey There, I've got mine here on the Isle of Wight in the UK. Just received my iMac 2ghz on Saturday. It shipped from Apple's Ireland Distribution centre late Wednesday night and I collected it on Friday. I have to say it's amazing! The graphics are fab - especially the ripple effect when adding dashboard widgets. iPhoto is just amazingingly quick and the graphics are superb too. Not a single dead pixel on the screen, the utility for moving software from an old iMac work flawlessly - I moved 8+ users - about 8 Gigs in a few hours. Startup time is literally seconds from switchon. Added a Gig of ram from crucial to bring the installed total to 1.5 and I have to say its a really good buy. Hope you have as much enjoyment when you get yours!

Damn you!!! I ordered Tuesday but stupid me got the wireless keyboard and mouse options. Didn't think that this would make its a BTO and take longer.

Currently my order lists as sent to manufacturer and scheduled to ship tomorrow.

Question....

when you use the firwire setup/transfer utility to transfer users and apps does it remove all that stuff from the old machine?
  • Reply 3 of 41
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    No it does not remove the old stuff from the old computer. When I transfered it from one HD to my other one with Tiger it left my old one exactly the way it was.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by tekriter

The first batch of new and improved iMAC'S from PCMALL will ship Friday the 13th out of the Memphis TN warehouse. I hope to receive mine on Wednesday the 18th. I ordered the wireless mouse & kybd as separate items, those were sent out Thursday the 5th and should arrive tomorrow.

I just noticed that Crucial lowered the price of the 1GB RAM to $132.99!! I need to order one of those also.

My first/last Apple was a IIe 25 years ago so I guess I can wait a little longer for this one
  • Reply 5 of 41
    geraldogeraldo Posts: 10member
    I ordered mine (20") from the apple store last night and had it shipped fedex next day. status is preparing shipment. I didn't do macmall because I get a discount for comcast employees. I don't see any back order problems on the site so I expect it tomorrow since the order was placed on a sunday night. tic toc tic toc tic toc...
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Geraldo

I ordered mine (20") from the apple store last night and had it shipped fedex next day. status is preparing shipment. I didn't do macmall because I get a discount for comcast employees. I don't see any back order problems on the site so I expect it tomorrow since the order was placed on a sunday night. tic toc tic toc tic toc...

Damn you too!! I am so jealous i can't work.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    nli10nli10 Posts: 32member
    LOL, I walked into the Apple Store in Birmingham England on Sat and walked out with my 20" 2GHZ wireless KBAM iMac. Great fun. As said it transfers all the stuff across but didn't get my audible & iTMS & .mac settings for some reason.

Also my USB modem doesn't seem to like Tigers...

It scored about 180 on Xbench in the Apple store but mine with the base memory only gets 165 which is odd. I didn't check their config but I did submit it to the Xbench site.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The in store Mac may have had two sticks of RAM, enabling dual channel memory access.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

The in store Mac may have had two sticks of RAM, enabling dual channel memory access.

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc1=110667

Good call - I've linked the score now. 2x512 Memory.

Might have to invest in the extra 1GB stick O' Crucial if it improves the speed that much!
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Just ordered mine from the online Apple store last night. I tried to buy it from any of the 4 local Apple stores, but none had stock.

Not that I have any particular disdain for PCs, but as of now i do not even have a single PC up and running at home (unless you count my Xbox). This is quite unnerving as over the years, I have had as many as 4 PCs at a time in various roles (PVR, file server, webserver, gaming). But, lately I have just wanted to simplify things. And it doesn't get any simpler than having an iMac (my wife has a PowerBook which I tend to hog).

Here's to hoping I get my iMac soon.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by bostongeek

Just ordered mine from the online Apple store last night. I tried to buy it from any of the 4 local Apple stores, but none had stock.

Not that I have any particular disdain for PCs, but as of now i do not even have a single PC up and running at home (unless you count my Xbox). This is quite unnerving as over the years, I have had as many as 4 PCs at a time in various roles (PVR, file server, webserver, gaming). But, lately I have just wanted to simplify things. And it doesn't get any simpler than having an iMac (my wife has a PowerBook which I tend to hog).

Here's to hoping I get my iMac soon.

My store got them early as they had only opened the week before. I think they had them on the Wednesday, but I couldn't get down there until the weekend.

I have an Xbox too - it interent shares form the old iMac fine. And who says they can't be friends!
  • Reply 12 of 41
    bullratbullrat Posts: 29member
    I've ordered the 20-inch iMac and it should be here this week. But a quick question for those of you who ordered the iMac...

I looked at my order on Apple's website today and it noted "Replaced with new product" next to the iMac. I ordered with the single 1 gig memory module and the wireless keyboard and mouse and that was still listed. The only difference on the "replaced" order that I didn't notice before was a "Accessory kit w/Modem." It was "No modem" before. Maybe a modem is now standard. Anyone else have this happen? Or am I missing something? Thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by bullrat

I've ordered the 20-inch iMac and it should be here this week. But a quick question for those of you who ordered the iMac...

I looked at my order on Apple's website today and it noted "Replaced with new product" next to the iMac. I ordered with the single 1 gig memory module and the wireless keyboard and mouse and that was still listed. The only difference on the "replaced" order that I didn't notice before was a "Accessory kit w/Modem." It was "No modem" before. Maybe a modem is now standard. Anyone else have this happen? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

Yes I just noticed that myself. Has me in a tizzy. It just better still ship today. i can't sleep!!!!!

perhaps it was just a typo in the form the way it was listed before.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    trowelltrowell Posts: 41member
    Ordered mine on day of launch last week. Tracking shows it took off in Shanghai today and I shoiuld expect a six day wait for delivery. This is for delivery to the UK.

Only BTO was wireless keyboard and mouse
  • Reply 15 of 41
    What I posted on Apple Discussions...

I ordered a IMACG5 20/2.0GHZ/512/250/SD/BT/AP-USA aka stock, nothing extra on 05/06 at 12:40 PM with overnight delivery. At 5:00PM PDT that day it was preparing shipment. On Monday (05/09) morning Apple sent me an email at 4:43am PDT with a tracking number. However the tracking number didn't work yet, which I have all the time if it had just been put in the system and sometimes UPS doesn't pickup till end of day. When I checked around 5pm, the tracking number finally worked. However it told me it was coming out of Shanghai, China. So much for Made in the USA or the fact that it won't be overnight anymore

It is 05/10 right now and it sitting in the Phillippines with a Status: exception as (according to UPS) the last flight was full and it is waiting for a new flight. Weird that it is taking the southern route (and uncomforting as when I worked at the airport everyone knew that customs through LA or SF is 10x harder then customs through Alaska) instead of the northern route since I live in the Seattle area. UPS quoted me a delivery date of Friday 05/13 however the cust. rep. said since it is taking the southern route, it will probably end up being Monday 05/16.

What have I learned from all this. Overnight delivery doesn't work with Apple and the fact that I want my shipping refunded as this is going to take as long as "free shipping."
  • Reply 16 of 41
    geraldogeraldo Posts: 10member
    My 20" iMac arrived today fedex. It rocks, of course. I am now going to do some performance tests with software I like to use to see how much faster than my powerbook it is...who needs a 2nd monitor? This 20" is so spacious.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    I am so going to call applecare tomorrow and bitch.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yvovandoorn

What I posted on Apple Discussions...

I ordered a IMACG5 20/2.0GHZ/512/250/SD/BT/AP-USA aka stock, nothing extra on 05/06 at 12:40 PM with overnight delivery. At 5:00PM PDT that day it was preparing shipment. On Monday (05/09) morning Apple sent me an email at 4:43am PDT with a tracking number. However the tracking number didn't work yet, which I have all the time if it had just been put in the system and sometimes UPS doesn't pickup till end of day. When I checked around 5pm, the tracking number finally worked. However it told me it was coming out of Shanghai, China. So much for Made in the USA or the fact that it won't be overnight anymore

It is 05/10 right now and it sitting in the Phillippines with a Status: exception as (according to UPS) the last flight was full and it is waiting for a new flight. Weird that it is taking the southern route (and uncomforting as when I worked at the airport everyone knew that customs through LA or SF is 10x harder then customs through Alaska) instead of the northern route since I live in the Seattle area. UPS quoted me a delivery date of Friday 05/13 however the cust. rep. said since it is taking the southern route, it will probably end up being Monday 05/16.

What have I learned from all this. Overnight delivery doesn't work with Apple and the fact that I want my shipping refunded as this is going to take as long as "free shipping."

First very few major manufacturers make anything in the US.

Second have you ever actually tried to send a package around the world in a day? It can take that long to clear customs at times. Typically next day shipping only applies to within the country. C'est la vie. Personally I don't know why anybody would pay for next day shipping though, especially on a new item which won't be in the country anyway.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Maybe so but reports that they are shipping out of china are very rare on the imac, at least currently.

I have been looking and so far I am the only person in the US (reported on the boards at least) that is getting it from China. All the others are to European countries.

Also a lot of people ordered on the same date or after me and are getting their imac from the US. However it seems like none of those are "next day orders"

The reason I chose next day was because that is exactly what I wanted, next day. If a company can't provide next day then don't offer it like they did in the first 3 days after announcement (Tue, Wed & Thursday) and Friday was the first day they offered overnight.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Geraldo

My 20" iMac arrived today fedex. It rocks, of course. I am now going to do some performance tests with software I like to use to see how much faster than my powerbook it is...who needs a 2nd monitor? This 20" is so spacious.

Hey, congrats!

I want to buy a new 20" iMac as well, so I'm looking for some real world experience of the infamous fan/noise/pitch problem that many have been reporting.

Is there a noise, and if there is, is it loud? I prefere quiet systems, and it will be in the room where I sleep so I need something not too loud.

Thanks!