Tiger question. F12 key.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
With F12 now devoted to dashboard, whats the deal with opening and closing the optical drive?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

With F12 now devoted to dashboard, whats the deal with opening and closing the optical drive?

You must be talking about a Powerbook. On my TiBook, you have to hold the function key "fn" to activate F12; otherwise, is eject. Same with F1,2,3,4,5,6 which have other actions (brightness, sound, etc).
  • Reply 2 of 10
    adamclarkadamclark Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by atomicham

You must be talking about a Powerbook. On my TiBook, you have to hold the function key "fn" to activate F12; otherwise, is eject. Same with F1,2,3,4,5,6 which have other actions (brightness, sound, etc).

This is the same on my 12" iBook G4. I have to use Function + F12 to activate Dashboard.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    i have changed dashboard from F12 to F8.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mat79

i have changed dashboard from F12 to F8.

So, does holding down the F12 still open the optical drive?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i actually have F12 open for SizzlingKeys. I find it's very easy to hit only the F12 key and not eject.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    apple has had the f12 key be the optical drive eject key for a while for those keyboards that do not already come with a key set aside for eject. but f12 was reserved for common commands in other programs (quarkxpress comes to mind), so they had to modify it slightly. if you TAP f12, you get the f12 key function in whatever application you are in. if you HOLD DOWN f12 for more than a second, the optical drive ejects. if you find yourself having conflicts between dashboard and the optical eject, you'll have to remap something (i don't think they offer a way to remap the optical eject to something else... could be wrong though).
  • Reply 7 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Don't forget that if you don't use a manual screensaver, there is an available screen corner for Dashboard.

Exposé needs 3 corners for Desktop, Windows of Current App, and All Windows. I find using the other one for DashBoard is very quick for taking a look at the widgets.

The screen zoom (command-option-equal sign) also works with Dashboard, but you have to zoom first and then invoke Dashboard.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I thought the iBooks didn;t have F12 keys. I have my F# the primary function on my PowerBook and I press fn to use the second (brightness, volume). This is so I can use Exposé. However, fnF12 is the same as F12 - the eject key is next to the F12. On my sister's iBook there is no F12.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

So, does holding down the F12 still open the optical drive?

F12 never opened the Optical drive. (F12 is accessed by holding fn + F12)

the Open Cd Key (that happens to be on the same possition as F12) still does what its supposed to do.

Why shouldnt it work?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I thought the iBooks didn;t have F12 keys. I have my F# the primary function on my PowerBook and I press fn to use the second (brightness, volume). This is so I can use Exposé. However, fnF12 is the same as F12 - the eject key is next to the F12. On my sister's iBook there is no F12.

There definitely is a F12 key on my iBook G4 keyboard, and on my mom's iBook G3 keyboard. F12 (the logical key) and eject (the logical key) have absolutely nothing to do with each other, even if physically they are one key.