new windows media

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i've been encountering numerous windows media nine streams and such along the internet, i'm wondering when is wmp for mac os x gonna be updated to support all this, they last updated it some two years ago, kind of rediculous if you ask me that we're locked out of all this widely used video stuff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Is it possible that some of the stuff you are trying to view is DRM'd? If so, it may never be possible for us to play them on a Mac if MS cannot ensure the protection locks will stay intact in some forthcoming WMP player. It would be a liability for them. I would like to see an up-to-date Mac WMP, as well, but the DRM thing was my impression of what is holding it up. Actually, I take that back. I really do not like having to go to 2 different players on my Mac to play mpg this or wmv that (actually, it's 3 if you count VLC so I can play mpeg2 stuff w/o paying for the function in QT). I have found some solace in the Flip4Mac WMV plugin for QT, but naturally I'm not going to expect it to play WMV9 stuff. I just think it is kewl to have QT be able to play all my stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Flip4Mac's WMV modules works well on playing WMV 9 files in QT player. However it doesn't seem to support the streaming WMV files...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Flip4Mac's WMV modules works well on playing WMV 9 files in QT player. However it doesn't seem to support the streaming WMV files...

It also doesnt support Windows Media 9 Advanced...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Isn't all this DRM-related issues? It's not that it cannot use the codecs. It's that it doesn't have the means to support anything that needs to be unlocked using WMP DRM, no?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    millhousemillhouse Posts: 96member
    i thought it was DRM at first but i've encountered files online that vlc won't play, something about wmv3 or something, there's still some basic wmp9 codecs that won't play on the mac.

kind of rediculous if you ask me considering all quicktime codecs (minus h264) work on windows and apple manages to do same day relases on new versions of quicktime.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I do not understand how Microsoft expects WMV to be taken seriously when they fail to support a few million Apple users... if their DRM'd media format worked flawlessly on Apple, perhaps people wouldn't be so much against it. Instead, MS makes it difficult... typical.