The "WWDC Speculation" Thread

Comments

• Reply 61 of 294
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I doubt it. Tiger is in it's infancy. It hasn't even had an update to 10.4.1 yet has it?

Update will be in 2 weeks... (before WWDC). They are already seeding it to ADC members.
  • Reply 62 of 294
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    When Steve Jobs gives a keynote, people expect to see something new and exciting. I think this means either some great new software or Mac hardware. Chances are, any new digital device would get a press event of its own. Common iBook speed bumps wouldn't warrant a keynote by Jobs. A bunch of new software was already shown at the NAB event. My guess is, we'll see a redesigned iBook, redesigned PowerBook or a whole new Mac, like a new cube or something. I just don't think Jobs would be there if he didn't have something cool to present. I doubt he'd want to rehash Tiger features or do a Power Mac bake off.
  • Reply 63 of 294
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    one word:

quicktime

and anything related to it.
  • Reply 64 of 294
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    POWERBOOK G5

CINEMA DISPLAY 40"

DVR?

No Ibooks. I think they will upgrade them at Paris. Dual core Powermac maybe at Paris too.
  • Reply 65 of 294
    I saw a 30" Cinema Display for the first time the other day. Wow. I really can't imagine a 40" model unless Apple gets into the TV business like Gateway. Wouldn't it require some kind of triple DVI interface?
  • Reply 66 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

POWERBOOK G5

CINEMA DISPLAY 40"

DVR?

No Ibooks. I think they will upgrade them at Paris. Dual core Powermac maybe at Paris too.

1. NO

2. NO

3. Maybe

iBooks @ Paris... NO

iBooks were last updated in October. Paris MW is in first week of Sept? That would be an 11 month cycle. The longest iBooks have gone between revs since their release in 2001 was 6 months. Not once have they gone over that. 11 months would hurt sales on iBooks very badly, especially since they are hurting for a Core Technologies capable graphics cards. Once Quartz Extreme 2d is enabled in Tiger, users will notice a HUGE difference. I'd expect an update very very soon.

Its looking very likely that the powerbooks are far off with g5s. Especially since the Powermacs are STILL using 970fx processors. Obviously the 970fx can't be used in the Powerbook because of heat / power consumption. Apple does want to get rid of water cooling units if possible. If they could have, they would have used 970gx instead for the 2.7's to avoid water cooling... assuming 970gx clock that high.

Either way, I'd expect a pwerbook g5 or dual core g4 around Paris or later... probably 2006.
  • Reply 67 of 294
    The more I hear how difficult is to have a G5 chip on the Powerbook, the more I believe Steve is planning to surprise us all at WWDC. After the 3ghz promise Apple it's been very careful in revealing any possible hint of upcoming things. So if they slightly said something positive on the Powerbook front that would make people think 3 times before buying the current line up and make people wait for the G5.

If you acknowledge the possibility of a DVR, so why not an Apple Cinema Display at 40" to be used as computer monitor and entertainment display?

Ibooks for whatever reason don't seem to be big news at WWDC that has been the stage for professional hardware launch in the last few years.
  • Reply 68 of 294
    Quote:

Ibooks for whatever reason don't seem to be big news at WWDC that has been the stage for professional hardware launch in the last few years.

Anything that's good for the Mac platform is good for developers. If a minor speed bump to iBooks is announced at WWDC, it would probably be an offhand remark. A brand new design, on the other hand, would be a hit.
  • Reply 69 of 294
    Quote:

If you acknowledge the possibility of a DVR, so why not an Apple Cinema Display at 40" to be used as computer monitor and entertainment display?

Apple already dominates the 30" market for LCDS. As said above, if apple were to release a 40" it wouldnt' be a normal lcd but a hdtv lcd... at an outrageous price. I don't think apple could be competitive in that market... too many companies who have been doing it for years would cut apple's throats with prices half of apple's. Apple doesn't manufacture the LCDs... so most likely they would be buying from one of the companies they would be competing with. IE no 40". It would be a complete waste.

I acknowledge a DVR because the mini could EASILY be made into one.

If all that iBooks get is an updated video card and a little ram... even some more features... anything short of a complete redesign... expect them to be announced on a normal business day. NOT at a keynote. Though I can see SJ at wwdc talk about them for 2-5 minutes to say they are now 100% tigger compatible. But I definitely expect them to be updated before or at WWDC... even if the Powerbooks are not.
  • Reply 70 of 294
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think they WILL talk about dual core G5 systems to an extent. They spoke about G4 and altivec months before the G4 was released. Dual core is something developers need to know about.

PCI express? Maybe. They may even demo a PCIe Dual core system behind closed doors.
  • Reply 71 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Apple already dominates the 30" market for LCDS. As said above, if apple were to release a 40" it wouldnt' be a normal lcd but a hdtv lcd... at an outrageous price. I don't think apple could be competitive in that market... too many companies who have been doing it for years would cut apple's throats with prices half of apple's. Apple doesn't manufacture the LCDs... so most likely they would be buying from one of the companies they would be competing with. IE no 40". It would be a complete waste.

My understanding is that the 30" display is HDTV with resolutions higher than 1920x1080. So if Apple releases an bigger monitor doesn't seems to be a big deal to me. I agree that the monitor is not going to be cheap, but I don't think will be outrageous.

I know that Apple does not manufacture their LCDs but I don't think this will be a reason not to have it. Sorry, I don't agree it will be a complete waste. I would buy one and I think many people would love to have one too to use as computer monitor and TV.
  • Reply 72 of 294
    Quote:

My understanding is that the 30" display is HDTV with resolutions higher than 1920x1080. So if Apple releases an bigger monitor doesn't seems to be a big deal to me. I agree that the monitor is not going to be cheap, but I don't think will be outrageous.

Compare the current apple LCDS with other LCDs in their same category. And tell me the prices are competitive. They aren't. They aren't even close. The 20" gets smoked by half price and you can obtain a 24" Dell for about 850 if you try hard (nearly half price) or 1000 retail. All apple hardware is TAXED big time. It wouldn't be any different with their 40" TV if they released one. Not to mention that it would be outdated with a quickness. Example? Take a look at the 23" apple lcd. Samsung and dell have 23"+ lcds running at 8ms and 12ms response times... respectively. Apple's is 16ms and will be for a long time. It took apple two years to update their last LCD monitors. If they follow a 2 year update cycle again... the LCD tv would be so outdated and overpriced very quickly.

Quote:

I know that Apple does not manufacture their LCDs but I don't think this will be a reason not to have it. Sorry, I don't agree it will be a complete waste. I would buy one and I think many people would love to have one too to use as computer monitor and TV.

Why would you waste your money and buy an outdated overpriced tv when you can get BETTER quality from someone who has been in the industry and probably manufacturers apple's supposed 40". This company who would be supplying apple with their LCD's would obviously be able to put out the SAME display at a much cheaper price than apple. I know which I would choose. I'm a whore to brand names. Whoever is the best gets my money... unless its very close in specs... then I go with what I trust.

...Edited for addition of apple 23" specs...
  • Reply 73 of 294
    well, I agree with some of your points. It's true Apple displays are not competitive in price.

But when you buy a Apple display you are paying a high price for design, look, specs and status. For some folks these are important things.

I heard about the Dell 24". It look great on the specs and price but I don't like the design of it. I need to see one in person I guess to make a final judgment.

As for Apple putting a LCD that's going to be quickly outdated by the company that produces it I have to doubt this is going to happen. I say this because the 30" LCD seems to be a great monitor and it's almost 1 year old. I don't see any competitor with same offering at this time.
  • Reply 74 of 294
    Quote:

I say this because the 30" LCD seems to be a great monitor and it's almost 1 year old. I don't see any competitor with same offering at this time.

That's because the 30" size is such a small market at this point. I would like to see sales numbers for the 30"... it would be interesting to see. If another company came out with a 30", you can bet it would be cheaper than apple's.

As you can see the 20" and 23" are outdated... especially the 20". Samsung has 19's and 20's down to 4ms response time. While the 20" hovers at 16ms response time. To me response time is the deciding factor when it comes to LCDs. I don't like dragging a window across the screen and watch it ghost behind. I work with graphics too much to have a tolerence for that.

You listed specs in the reasons to buy apple's lcds... apple's lcd specs aren't pretty compared to most modern lcds. If design is important enough to pay double for an lcd, thats up to you. I can safely say that a majority of the consumers out there don't feel this way. They would rather have performance -> dollar rather than looks -> dollar... preferably both. There is no way I could in good conscience (spelling.. don't care) purchase a 23" apple lcd for double the price of the dell 24" when the dell has better specs in every category.

Even if apple was going to release a 40" lcd tv, they most certainly would have done it at NAB... not wwdc.
  • Reply 75 of 294
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    this is probably an isolated insedent, but we just purchased a 24" Dell LCD to complement a 20" widedscreen Dell we purchased a couple months ago. The 24" dell is much less saturated, and softer in focus than the 20". I had heard the oposite considering the 24" has better specs. Seeing it's hooked to a PC, it could be driver issures or who knows what else, but it looks pale in comparison to the 20".

As far as comparing to an Apple LCD, make no mistake, these things are but ugly in comparison. BUUUUUT. The brightness is over the top and needs be turned way down for any kind of design work. Also, it has been harder getting controlable color than the Apple LCD's compared to the Mac screens, probably do to profiles ssues, and the Macs being tuned for use with there own displays. For non critical work, in an invironment that doesnt require style points, the Dells are hard to beat.
  • Reply 76 of 294
    Quote:

That's because the 30" size is such a small market at this point. I would like to see sales numbers for the 30"... it would be interesting to see. If another company came out with a 30", you can bet it would be cheaper than apple's.

You listed specs in the reasons to buy apple's lcds... apple's lcd specs aren't pretty compared to most modern lcds. If design is important enough to pay double for an lcd, thats up to you. I can safely say that a majority of the consumers out there don't feel this way. They would rather have performance -> dollar rather than looks -> dollar... preferably both. There is no way I could in good conscience (spelling.. don't care) purchase a 23" apple lcd for double the price of the dell 24" when the dell has better specs in every category.

Even if apple was going to release a 40" lcd tv, they most certainly would have done it at NAB... not wwdc.

Humm...

I guess the 40" monitor will be even a smaller market than the 30". I don't disagree that a competitor will have probably a cheaper price than Apple's but the question is: Will the design, look and specs be better? if yes, then I'll be gladly purchase the competitors monitor.

Yes, I listed the specs among reasons to buy Apple because the 30" specs are pretty good in IMHO.

I based most of my opinions on the groundbreaking 30" monitor. I know the market out there have many competitors that are better than Apple's 20" and 23" monitors.

Apple historically has announced most of their monitors at WWDC or MWNY not any at NAB.
  • Reply 77 of 294
    Quote:

Apple historically has announced most of their monitors at WWDC or MWNY not any at NAB.

Yes but this wouldn't be a normal computer LCD... this would be for entertainment and for Video professionals, IE NAB.
  • Reply 78 of 294
    but the possibility to have at WWDC still exists.

Just because it was not announced at NAB doesn't mean it could not be announced at WWDC!

To tell the truth I think I am overly optimistic about such announcement this year. It is probably more realistic to happen at 2006 WWDC.
  • Reply 79 of 294
    As for me, I don't think it will ever happen.
  • Reply 80 of 294
    scooterboyscooterboy Posts: 69member
    Quote:

As you can see the 20" and 23" are outdated... especially the 20". Samsung has 19's and 20's down to 4ms response time. While the 20" hovers at 16ms response time. To me response time is the deciding factor when it comes to LCDs. I don't like dragging a window across the screen and watch it ghost behind. I work with graphics too much to have a tolerence for that.

That Dell 24" monitor has a 12 ms response time, not much better than the Apple's 23" Cinema Display.