Updated Mac mini?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    midgcoolmidgcool Posts: 19member
    Apple should release a games console...iGame..iBox...iconsole...something along those lines
  • Reply 22 of 48
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Why are people suggesting 160 GB hard drives? The Mac mini uses laptop hard drives. That means that, at best, Apple would use 120 GB laptop drives when they're released later in the year... which they won't, because it would cost far too much.

At best, you're probably looking at 60 & 100 GB drive options. I'd say that it's more likely that the options are 60 and 80 GB instead.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

Why are people suggesting 160 GB hard drives? The Mac mini uses laptop hard drives. That means that, at best, Apple would use 120 GB laptop drives when they're released later in the year... which they won't, because it would cost far too much.

At best, you're probably looking at 60 & 100 GB drive options. I'd say that it's more likely that the options are 60 and 80 GB instead.

60Gb or 80Gb would be fine for me, would be nice if they could at least be 5400rpm though.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by midgcool

Apple should release a games console...iGame..iBox...iconsole...something along those lines

Was it not called Pippin or something? \
  • Reply 25 of 48
    midgcoolmidgcool Posts: 19member
    wow..i didnt know about tht
  • Reply 26 of 48
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midgcool

Do you realize how much money that Microsoft has put into their system? Especially when you count their purchase of Bungie so that they had their own "world class" game development group? Game systems live and die not on the hardware but on the games, both quantity and quality, that are available both at release time as well as throughout thier life. It would be a big gamble, and I don't think that Apple has the resources to do that now.

On the main topic of the thread, I would like to (reasonably) see the Mini with the following:

$499

1.42GHz PowerPC G4

512MB DDR333 SDRAM

40GB or 60 Ultra ATA drive

Combo drive

ATI Radeon 9600

64MB video memory

$599

1.67GHz PowerPC G4

512MB DDR333 SDRAM

80GB or 100 Ultra ATA drive

Combo drive, (8x SuperDrive (double-layer), BTO option)

ATI Radeon 9600

64MB video memory

It would be nice to see faster hard drives in them and Superdrive standard at least on the high end, but I wouldn't expect it. I think that the above is well within the range of possibility. Timing will probably be closer to August, though if contracts and inventory work in Apple's favor then I think we could see them at any time between now and August.

If you think that the high end is too generous versus the eMac, then look at BTO options:

Superdrive: $100

Keyboard/Mouse $58

Bringing the price to $757 to the high end system which lacks a monitor and has a smaller, slower hard drive, and there is nothing keeping Apple from boosting the high end eMac at or around the same time. The biggest potential reason that I see for Apple not doing this is a compelling enough of a PowerBook/iBook upgrade available within this time frame.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Apple appears to be moving most of it's systems to the ATI 9600 video card so I'd expect nothing less than for thet card to find it's way into the next mini.

I think a Christmas release would be perfect.

And for the individual that doesn't get the desire to game on a PC. Massive multiplayer titles are still non-existant on consoles. That is my #1 reason for wanting a better video card on the Mac.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by RoughneckMini

And for the individual that doesn't get the desire to game on a PC. Massive multiplayer titles are still non-existant on consoles. That is my #1 reason for wanting a better video card on the Mac.

That's me

Sorry I just don't get Massive multiplayer gaming.

You're right about multiplayer games on consoles though... for now. The next versions of Playstation and Xbox will be geared more towards multiplayer gaming so maybe your desires will be met.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Smastard

That's me

Sorry I just don't get Massive multiplayer gaming.

You're right about multiplayer games on consoles though... for now. The next versions of Playstation and Xbox will be geared more towards multiplayer gaming so maybe your desires will be met.

That's what they said about the XBox (Star Wars Galaxies, True Fantasy Online) and here we are years after it's release and we never saw a MMORPG on it.

Sorry to take this so far off topic. No more gaming talk from me in this thread.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    No more gaming from me either.

Back on topic: August is too soon for Rev B. The buyers who waited weeks to get their long awaited Mac mini would be mighty pissed at Apple if it was superseded two months later.

I think they will (should) wait until the delivery times have died down to a week or two at max (real deliv. time, not the 1-2 weeks fairyland time rubbish) .

Maybe Mac World San Franisco 2006 would be more reasonable I think.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    must. resist. posting. this. must. resist...

http://macosrumors.com/20050429.php

• Reply 32 of 48
    squozensquozen Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RoughneckMini

Right now I see a 60GB 7200RPM Hitachi drive as the high end drive of the future. I would take a faster internal drive over a larger internal drive.

Why not use the new Seagate 100Gb 7200RPM drive?
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Smastard

No more gaming from me either.

Back on topic: August is too soon for Rev B. The buyers who waited weeks to get their long awaited Mac mini would be mighty pissed at Apple if it was superseded two months later.

I think they will (should) wait until the delivery times have died down to a week or two at max (real deliv. time, not the 1-2 weeks fairyland time rubbish) .

Maybe Mac World San Franisco 2006 would be more reasonable I think.

I'd say Paris Expo would be a reasonable time. A year between upgrades is too long - if you looks at the macrumors buyers guide page, the average upgrade time for most machines is 150-220 days or so. The delivery times are settling down now, with disptach within 24 hours from the UK store, so with that bumper iMac update, there is now room for the mini to get a decent upgrade, possibly silently added to the website in August or at the same time as Paris Expo. Fingers crossed, as that would suit me perfectly!
  • Reply 34 of 48
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Squozen

Why not use the new Seagate 100Gb 7200RPM drive?

Possibly because just the drive would cost almost as much as the mini itself...
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

must. resist. posting. this. must. resist...

This is no more than a wishlist. I doubt the revision to the mini would be more than a CPU speed bump, 8x DL SuperDrive (maybe standard in the top spec model), GPU upgrade & RAM bumped to 512Mb (retaining the single slot).

An audio input would be more appreciated than optical output but it's not unlikely.

If this rumour had come from ThinkSecret we might be more inclined to believe.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

Good one.

Pound for pound the Mac mini is going to recieve a better upgrade then any other machine? No. Right when they said 2 GB RAM+ I was on the floor.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    OK, the mini isn't going to get a 160Gb drive, because 160Gb 2.5" drives haven't been invented yet! SJ is good, but not that good . Drive size will probably go to 60/80GB or 60/100GB. 64Mb 9600 graphics, very probably, the same graphics setup is in the eMac now. 2GB RAM slot? don't think so, the idea is around on some other thread of having say 256MB or 512MB soldered to the board, leaving the slot free for upgrades.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajprice

. . . the idea is around on some other thread of having say 256MB or 512MB soldered to the board, leaving the slot free for upgrades.

But Apple may have found an extra source of revenue by having only one RAM slot. Since RAM is replaced, not added to, people must buy a full 512M strip to upgrade that amount of RAM by themselves. Apple basically charges only for difference in RAM when it is special ordered, making Apple's prices more competitive. For many buyers, it is worth getting the RAM from Apple and avoiding the hassle of doing it themselves. Just a little benefit Apple might discover about a single RAM strip.

Likely the original reason for one strip is cost and space savings. The Mac mini is small and cheap. Having a soldered in RAM strip would just add cost and take up space. People can wish all they want to, but I don't think it will happen.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    The funny thing is that Macosrumors is predicting a 5200 video card... When last have they under-spec'd us? I expected them to predict a quad-core Mini!
  • Reply 40 of 48
    apoderapoder Posts: 49member
    I'm looking into getting a mini soon. Should I wait for an update or plop down the cash and get it now? Are there any rumors of the next release?