Apple's 4GB iPod mini outselling newer models, more...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Just because you're cheap doesn't mean that there isn't a big difference.

So fine, listen with $5 earbuds and computer speakers, if that makes you happy. That doesn't give you the right to call us anal.

Buddy, you started us down this road, we were enjoying this thread until you came along.

Like I said, if you can't hear it, fine.

Oh stop, you're gonna make me cry here. hehehe.

That's right. I'm cheap... And you're anal.

Actually, I do spend money on 'phones. I have some very decent Sony earclips that costed me about 30 dollars I think. But of course, that's pennies compared with what audiophiles spend.

I'm proud about enjoying my free Apple earbuds and my trusty old 128 kbps MP3 files.
  • Reply 42 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

No, seriously. There is a difference between gear but of course the law of diminishing returns comes into play here. For instance, a $50,000 amp will not sound 50,000 times better than a $1,000 amp.

If you have some time, go into a high end audio store and listen to some good quality gear; not to sound elitist but I don't mean SONY, DENON, KENWOOD, and the like but good solid 'afordable' brands like ROTEL, NAD, TOTEM, CLASSE, Linn, and others (I could be little off but these were good brands some time ago). You will be surprised how good and better the sound is than cheaper gear.

In life, one should always keep an open mind. That's been my philosophy.

Er, that would be 50 times. But you are right. I don't know how we could ever measure how much better a CLASSE amp would be (if at all) than my Brystons.

Very much it's a matter of taste. I have heard some of Acapella's speakers, and didn't like them. I don't like what horns do. That's my thing.

Everyone has their own thing.
  • Reply 43 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

No, seriously. There is a difference between gear but of course the law of diminishing returns comes into play here. For instance, a $50,000 amp will not sound 50,000 times better than a $1,000 amp.

If you have some time, go into a high end audio store and listen to some good quality gear; not to sound elitist but I don't mean SONY, DENON, KENWOOD, and the like but good solid 'afordable' brands like ROTEL, NAD, TOTEM, CLASSE, Linn, and others (I could be little off but these were good brands some time ago). You will be surprised how good and better the sound is than cheaper gear.

In life, one should always keep an open mind. That's been my philosophy.

Yep, don't get me wrong! I'd love to have some ass kicking Sennheisers with noise cancellation and all that or a nice Bose Surround Sound system or whatever... but the law of diminishing returns just won't let me. hehe
  • Reply 44 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Oh stop, you're gonna make me cry here. hehehe.

That's right. I'm cheap... And you're anal.

Actually, I do spend money on 'phones. I have some very decent Sony earclips that costed me about 30 dollars I think. But of course, that's pennies compared with what audiophiles spend.

Just like I'm proud about enjoying my free Apple earbuds and my trusty old 128 kbps MP3 files.

I don't understand you. Why criticze us at all? This is a "fun" thing. It's not earth-shattering.

You could say the same thing about any good product. Cars, houses, chairs, etc. But what's the point?

Sure, I DO know some people in this hobby who are anal. They change half of their equipment every year, but most of us aren't like that.

We buy what seems to be working for us, and settle down with it for some time.

You may think it's anal to get large screen hi-def Tv's, but millions are doing it.

When does it stop being anal (by your definition), and become average?
  • Reply 45 of 88
    monkeyastronautmonkeyastronaut Posts: 1,343member
    Quote:

There you go, starting in with the pissy again.

I get out a lot. I actually know how to interact with people. You should try it.

I listen to live music often, perhaps that's why your things don't work for me.

But I asked you a question. How about it?

Are you sure about that??? hehe. You asked some questions about houses and about TVs, and I don't know what the heck does that have to do with anything.

Lady, I'm giving you an answer! I'm doing it for the fun. I just dislike the so called audiophiles because they're like people who claim that they see aliens from outer space, or like people who claim they can contact the dead, etc. You get the idea. If you happen to be offended because of how I see you for falling into that group, well, just deal with it. I'm totally fine with being called cheap for my poor hearing. Just embrace being called anal about your Apple Lossless files.

So what music are you into? I promise not to make fun of that.
  • Reply 46 of 88
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

I just dislike the so called audiophiles because they're like people who claim that they see aliens from outer space, or like people who claim they can contact the dead, etc.

Most people with opinions like yours have not heard a good system in their entire life. Bryston does not count.
  • Reply 47 of 88
    Quote:

Are you sure about that??? hehe. You asked some questions about houses and about TVs, and I don't know what the heck does that have to do with anything.

Lady, I'm giving you an answer! I'm doing it for the fun. I just dislike the so called audiophiles because they're like people who claim that they see aliens from outer space, or like people who claim they can contact the dead, etc. You get the idea. If you happen to be offended because of how I see you for falling into that group, well, just deal with it. I'm totally fine with being called cheap for my poor hearing. Just embrace being called anal about your Apple Lossless files.

So what music are you into? I promise not to make fun of that.

First of all, I'd like to take this to a friendly corner. I discuss this and other things with people without being called names.

My question was about Hi-def Tv's, and the fact that millions are buying them. It's near the bottom of my earlier post.

I like most music. I stay away from rap, new age, and their derivatives..

My wife and I have season's tickets to the MET here in NYC. I go to jazz clubs. There are going to be two (small) Jazz festivals in my neighborhood this summer, as well as the JVC Jazz festival in Manhattan.

I know some rock musicians, and I get invited to their concerts. I've been involved with that since I was a kid. A friend of mine also has several small concerts at his home a couple of times a year.
  • Reply 48 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Most people with opinions like yours have not heard a good system in their entire life. Bryston does not count.

I'm not sure whose opinion you are referring to here. You quote from him, but refer to my amp. do you mean that Brystons are bad, or good?
  • Reply 49 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Your mother listens to FM Radio! Just kidding. I've noticed people are kinda touchy with regards to audio here.

No, actually you're right. I haven't, Bryston or any other. I declare myself a newbie in that aspect.
  • Reply 50 of 88
    Quote:

First of all, I'd like to take this to a friendly corner. I discuss this and other things with people without being called names.

My question was about Hi-def Tv's, and the fact that millions are buying them. It's near the bottom of my earlier post.

I like most music. I stay away from rap, new age, and their derivatives..

My wife and I have season's tickets to the MET here in NYC. I go to jazz clubs. There are going to be two (small) Jazz festivals in my neighborhood this summer, as well as the JVC Jazz festival in Manhattan.

I know some rock musicians, and I get invited to their concerts. I've been involved with that since I was a kid. A friend of mine also has several small concerts at his home a couple of times a year.

That is really impressive, really. I wish I could go to all those music-listening activities, honestly. I apologize for disliking your audiophile trends or any name calling. Everyone has their own hobbies. Yours is listening to high quality audio and that's great. Again, I'm sorry for being rude.

Yeah millions are buying HD TVs and you're right, just because it's better people aren't anal about it for buying them.

I'm into all sorts of music too, but I can't deny my love for rock bands of the 90's. I do like some stuff from the 60's, 70's and 80's though.

Well, time for lunch. See you.
  • Reply 51 of 88
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

woah don't get your panties in a bunch. People call themselves audiophile because they think it sounds cute and very educated . Chances are you're just able to distinguish between FM radio and CD quality and mp3s just sound the same. It's like trying to say you feel the earth rotating. hehehe. What a petulant moron.

Can we calm it down. Look people vary in opinion. I can barely tell the difference between a CD/Losless/MP3 on my headphones - but that doesn't mean others can. On professional speakers obviously the difference is easier. BUT we need to respect people's opinions.
  • Reply 52 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Can we calm it down. Look people vary in opinion. I can barely tell the difference between a CD/Losless/MP3 on my headphones - but that doesn't mean others can. On professional speakers obviously the difference is easier. BUT we need to respect people's opinions.

He's taken care of it.

We're all friends now.
  • Reply 53 of 88
    Quote:

I'm not sure whose opinion you are referring to here. You quote from him, but refer to my amp. do you mean that Brystons are bad, or good?

Sorry - I got the posts mixed up. I also use Brystons as my sub amps.
  • Reply 54 of 88
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Audiophile = someone with too much money and not enough to do with it

To be fair, I feel the same way about someone who buys an $80,000 car.

It's weird for me to see tens of thousands of dollars blown simply to hear things a little bit better. Talk about a society of excess.
  • Reply 55 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

It's weird for me to see tens of thousands of dollars blown simply to hear things a little bit better. Talk about a society of excess.

If someone has the money to blow, why not? People spend tens of thousands on their vacation.

What do you do with yours? It's certainly good to invest it. I do that. But you want to live too.
  • Reply 56 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

It is not just a little bit better, it is a totally different experience. The helicopter on pink floyd's "the wall" is a full-sized helicopter when you listen on my system, hanging 20 feet over your head. A really high end stereo is better than live music when everything is right.

You just don't realize what you are missing, because most audio gear is lousy. If all you ate was cardboard, you would not be able to imagine why anyone would spend money on steak.
  • Reply 57 of 88
    In a way, a cross between the iPod mini and shuffle has been met because of the iPod mini lanyard. While the shuffle is super light, the mini is also very light, and I doubt most people would care about the weight difference if they were to try the mini lanyard.
  • Reply 58 of 88
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireEmblemPride

In a way, a cross between the iPod mini and shuffle has been met because of the iPod mini lanyard. While the shuffle is super light, the mini is also very light, and I doubt most people would care about the weight difference if they were to try the mini lanyard.

I've used both and the sound quality on the shuffle is pretty bad. I have very good earphones (Etymotic 4s) though and the difference is not small.

Just my two cents but I would get the mini or the 20gb 'regular.'

• Reply 59 of 88
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    I have a couple of questions for all of the audiophiles:

1. When you say "For instance, a $50,000 amp will not sound 50,000 times better than a $1,000 amp." what do you mean by 50,000 better? Or what do you mean by "better", period?!

2. What is minimum amount of money one has to spend per year on audio equipment to join the "audiophile" club?
  • Reply 60 of 88
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

...Buddy, you started us down this road, we were enjoying this thread until you came along.

BOSE rules.

[edit: there should be a smiley face that looks like a troll.]